close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to buy Sigma SLR lenses for EOS 20D

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by doctabako, Feb 1, 2005.

1. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Does anyone know where to buy wide to tele or tele to tele Sigma zoom lenses for EOS DSLR's. They're almost half the price of Canon lenses in the net. Just want to know if there's a Philippine distributor. I only know of Infomax and Camerahaus in Makati but they only sell Canon lenses. Thanks for any input:)

2. kent

kent

photoshops at the back of SM in quiapo, can't remember the street name, haven't been there for about 6 years na. basta sa banda dun magkakatabi mga photoshops, mayer, manila photo, fotohaus, etc. great deals and good prices on photographic equipments.

oh, and the sigma line of lenses do vary, some are of excellent quality and there are those that are for "general photograhpic needs" only.

3. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

I think I remember seeing those shops when I was still studying medicine in FEU-NRMF ages ago if I'm not mistaken. Was hoping for shops closer to Makati and easier to go to as the parking, not to mention traffic in those places leave much to be desired ;f.
    The new Sigma lenses have been receiving good reviews. I was thinking of the 70-200 F2.8 EX HSM as I need a faster lens at full tele or the 50-500 EX RF HSM for longer reach than my current Canon 75-300 USM IS telezoom. Thanks a lot :)

4. one_eye_kirat

one_eye_kirat

I think kent were referring to Carriedo St. in Quiapo.

5. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

docT: sent you pm. also you can check out a fellow birdwatcher's website.he is also using the 20D with that 50-500 sigma lens for birdshots.he's my idol! hehe www.pbase.com/liquidstone

6. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Nice link, yes that "Bigma" Sigma was what I was looking for. The Canon L lenses are just too expensive. Maybe I'll try going to Carriedo one of these days and check out the selection there.

I replied to your PM through email 2 days ago as your PM inbox was full. As for your bird watching hobby, you will need at least 600mm focal length to get those tight shots. Good thing about DSLR's and digicams in general is that it has a crop factor due to the relatively smaller sensor size(compared to 35mm film) and turns out to have more reach at full tele as compared to 35mm film cameras(the trade-off is that it's less wide at the wide angle end). For example at full tele the Bigma's 500mm is equivalent to 800mm( 500 x 1.6 crop factor) in the 20D and that's more than enough and can still be hand holdable for short periods(big biceps would be helpful though :)) Hope you can get that camera you wanted soon to pursue your hobby.

7. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Just thought I'd post a couple of my shots using the 75-300mm lens. This a Giant Orb Weaving Spider, a regular resident at my backyard. :)

[​IMG]

Half Moon Shot

[​IMG]

8. JuDGe

JuDGe

[​IMG]

Hidalgo Shopping Experience

Hi DocT hope this helps.... ;f

9. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

docT : nice shots!!! you got the 20D body only? then purchased 2 lenses? how much was the 75-300mm? what's the largest aperture size?

10. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Nice pics DocT...wala bang gun pics. ;f

11. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Thanks JuDGe:) that really helped. I do hope they have other brands of lenses there aside from Canon and Nikon. Will probably have to take the LRT. It has also been ages since I rode on that ;f

Thanks, Got the "kit" which comes with the 18-55mm EF-S lens for 96,000. The 75-300mm lens costs 34,000. It is an F4-5.6 lens so its only an F4 at its widest, that's why aside from the Sigma 50-500mm (an F4-6.3) I'm looking for a Sigma 70-200 EX which is an F2.8 throughout its range.

;f Thanks. I do want to take this to shooting competitions one day and take advantage of its 5 frames/second continuous drive speed. I never thought I'd be this interested in something other than my passion for guns(and women of course ;f) but this hobby is really addictive.;f

12. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

ouch! you must've set aside a lot of moolah for your intended 1911 to get all your photo goodies:cool: :cool:
    ah, yes, how i'd love to have a 2.8 with a 300mm ;f

13. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Actually I did save up 240K for an STI open gun which I wanted to have built by True Weight, but I'll just have to postpone that for another time. The nice thing with Cameras is that you can use them anytime and you don't have to go to a range to enjoy. The best thing about it is that it takes less convincing to get a go ahead from my wife(since she's my favorite model, of course;f)

Anyway I can still compete in Standard with the Limcat .40 :)

14. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

DocT, you really need to smell some gunpowder so that we can get you back. ;f

15. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

:) I do miss and love the smell of burnt gunpowder as long as it doesn't come from a bullet with a teflon head(panghE!) I'm just sidetracked a little because of what happened to the club and have no one to shoot with back here(would've been different if I was Manila based as I could always shoot with you guys). Iiii'll beee baaccckk!!! ;f

16. toxic

toxic

intayin ang Pagbabalik ng lawin este ni DocT..nice pics DocT-pangposter..the half moon shot reminds me of werewolf movies..^c

17. tanduay

tanduay

I recommend avenue photo supply. Look for wilson and tell him I refer it to you. I bought all my camera equiments from him. Customer service is very good. Phone number is 7335474 and cel #09192061307.

Richard

18. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Thanks Toxic :)

Tanduay, I'll keep those contact nos. handy when I can go there. Thanks :)

My sister told me that there's a Photoworld exhibit ongoing at Glorietta participated in by those shops in Hidalgo as well as other photo shops. tsk..tsk..Just when I don't have time to go. :(

Here's another photo taken with my other cam(Canon S1 IS). These horseflies were doing it on my vintage rusty cannonball ;f

[​IMG]

19. tanduay

tanduay

Yup! hanggang monday lang ata. Sayan hindi ako maka attend. Yung si eddit tapp magaling sa photoshop and 2nd team ata syan ng photoshop. He's on of the speakers for the seminar. Pwede mo sya e text lang and mabait si wilson. Marami ko na na recommend ng mga fellow photographes and they're very happy dealing with him. So you love macro photography huh? How about portrait or fashion? I do portrait (freelance) and sometime wedding. Pang bili ng bala ;f ;a

20. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Macro, Landscape, Portrait.. I'll shoot anything since I'm a newbie at this hobby, and am willing to try anything. Its like practical shooting in a way as you have to have trigger/shutter time in order to improve your skills ;f