Where the hell is the president?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by IvanVic, Jun 5, 2020.

1. IvanVic

IvanVic

Let me preface this by saying I am obviously still supporting the president's reelection. I'm not sure why I have to state that first, but on this forum you must, otherwise you cannot criticize Trump.

I am not alone in saying that I have been extremely disappointed in president Trump's response to this, on virtually every level. When there is nationwide rioting, arson, violence and looting - you need an Oval Office address. Period. Full Stop.

Issuing a series of hasty tweets isn't going to cut it, neither is walking across the street to a church, and neither is a press conference. I agree with Tucker Carlson's take on the president's response, beginning at 15:00 in the clip below.

I honestly don't think he is capable of articulating a response to this, it is not his strong suit, but his speech writers certainly are because they wrote what was one of the best State of the Union speeches ever given - and Trump delivered it impeccably. At least give the guy something to read in front of the camera.

2. Cambo

Cambo

Agreed. I can't help but think that creepy mannequin Kushner is involved, I know Tucker thinks that as well. I'm not the only one, a lot of my conservative friends / clients are NOT impressed with Trump's response on this. My biggest criticism: Don't say you're going to do something, and then don't do it:
    1. "When the looting starts, the shooting starts."
    2. "We're going to use the military." (not National Guard)

EOS, czsmithGT, ocjackel and 2 others like this.

3. John43

John43

Sometime I think he must get tired of all this crap, I dont know why or how he does it.

CBennett, rock_castle, GRT22 and 11 others like this.
  4. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime Previously Timmeh

I must disagree. " When there is nationwide rioting, arson, violence and looting - you need an Oval Office address. Period. Full Stop"

There is nationwide protesting. Rioting is only in DEMONcrat states and cities and they are allowing it. Even pushing/fanning it. Trump has addressed it and told the liberal cities that if they will not protect their own people then he will. I am in Arkansas and our governor has been able to keep it peaceful. Please do not paint with broad paintbrushes. Look deeper and you will see this is all by design to attempt to make Trump look bad. Optics seem to be working on you OP!

Intolerant, jfusaro, GRT22 and 5 others like this.
  5. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Trump has not shined in all the protest debacle. Calling for military use on Americans, the photo op mess, it hasn't been his finest hour.

Jonesee, czsmithGT, jame and 5 others like this.
  6. wlkjr

wlkjr

I don't think it's his responsibility to fix every problem in this country or to be visible 24 hours a day. Most folks just want someone to blame for all their troubles but refuse to look in the mirror.

7. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

I don't see it as a federal issue. Let the states deal with it.

An address from the oval office wouldn't hurt, but how many networks would even air it?

8. vadersfather

vadersfather

President trump was not elected to be a uniter. He was elected to expose and destroy the deep state and treasonous democrats. Then after they attempted multiple coup's against him, all being conducted by demonrats unelected and elected, I think part of him thinks, let these idiot demonrat run state's burn. It continues to amaze me that so many stupid Americans think everything is Trump's fault and he can't do anything right, like the guvment was perfect before he decided to be a politician. These are the same idiots that vote demonrat all there life, hoping, that this time they will come through.

glock1097, GRT22, kody1234 and 6 others like this.
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Riots are a state problem governed by state law and handled by state law enforcement. Even the National Guard become a state force when on riot duty. I don't see what the President can or should do about it - ask people to calm down? The people rioting are the political left and, at the heart of it all, they are rioting against us and the President. I doubt him asking them nicely would help.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    jfusaro, glock1097, GRT22 and 20 others like this.
  10. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

Democrat states, cities have been exposed for the corruption they espouse.

The left is trying to make him out to be dictator and they are falling miserably.

Ivan, you know very well there's that pesky constitution being danced around in all if this.

If he sends in troops, uninvited, he's lambasted, if he doesn't, he's blasted as weak.

You can't have it both ways.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    fx77, GRT22, Macc283 and 5 others like this.
  11. nautoncall

nautoncall

I agree, but at the same time think he knows ANYTHING he says or does will be blasted. I wish he would address the nation as well, but sorta see where he's coming from. He knows X percent of the country absolutely HATE him no matter if he cured cancer or Covid tomorrow. Vadersfather is correct, he's a disrupter, a fighter. I just hope there are enough of us in the battleground states to outvote this leftest movement. I'm starting to worry. I'm almost certain he won't win the popular vote. What I fear is all the people moving from these blue states because of the high taxes and poorly run states, don't then turn red states blue. But then again, it's already happening in FL and TX. These idiots move from democrat run cities and states then vote the same way!!

GRT22, Macc283, larry_minn and 3 others like this.
  12. as400guy1

as400guy1

The democrats, progressives and "never trumpers" have put us in this mess.
    They have whined, moaned and b****** ever since the election to the point where if trump does something, he's wrong. If he doesn't do something it's wrong.
    They are evil.
    Even those who were close to him have been threatened and cowed into abandoning and criticizing him.
    No one has presented any alternative candidate. F biden or any democrat. They have shown a lack of integrity for decades.

GRT22, motorcycleman, Macc283 and 3 others like this.
  13. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

The federal government already has waaaay too much power.

President Trump doesn't need to get involved in quelling the riots, nor should he.

The state and local LE departments have enough capability to end the looting and riots.

Use water cannon, batons, pepper spray, tear gas, mounted police, etc. That will be sufficient to disperse the rioters.

There is absolutely no need for the feds to get involved. Remember, if President Trump can use the US military to crush Antifa, then President Kamala/Newsom/Cuomo can use the US military to crush pro-2A protestors, anti-lockdown protestors, and other conservative patriot movements.

I am glad that even the (dangerous and misguided) idea of trying to declare Antifa a "domestic terrorist group" seems to have been abandoned (or maybe Trump never actually intended to do it in the first place, and was just tweeting to make the base happy).

If President Trump can declare a bunch of 18 year old losers in ski masks who throw rocks to be "domestic terrorists", YOU better believe that President Kamala/Newsom/Cuomo will use that power to declare YOU a "domestic terrorist" and send YOU to Gitmo. :eek::eek::eek:

After all, Antifa just throws rocks and bottles and the occasional Molotov cocktail for the most part. Most of Antifa are unarmed. If a bunch of unarmed 18 year old commie losers like them can be declared "domestic terrorists", what do YOU think President Kamala will call YOU? :alex::alex:

YOU have lots of scawy dangewous guns. :alex::alex: YOU have lots of ammo. YOU post bad things about Obama on the internet. You're way more dangerous than Antifa! You might shoot up a War-Mart full of immigrants, like that guy in Texas. You might shoot up a mosque, like that guy in New Zealand.

President Kamala will say "better safe than sorry, it's worth it if it saves just one life" and YOU will be on an all-expense paid trip to Gitmo or some other facility for holding "far right neo-Nazi racist KKK homophobic, Islamophobic, bigoted Trump supporters.":alex::alex::alex:

See why giving the power to arbitrarily declare Americans to be "domestic terrorists" is a very dangerous and bad idea? :eek:

14. rayzer007

rayzer007

Macc283, NoJoy, mjmac and 2 others like this.
  15. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

IF Biden somehow wins in November, President Trump's intemperate tweets, comments and actions during these protests will be a big reason why.

There are lots of people (moderates, swing voters) who are noticing a disturbing "I can do whatever I want" authoritarian streak in Trump, and they don't like it.

The sad part is, it's more the style than the substance that is disturbing people.

Even though Trump has been great for the economy (until COVID), and appointed lots of conservative judges, there is a real danger that he will drive away a significant amount of swing voters with his unhinged tweeting and comments.

Trump needs to remember that he only won the election because he won OH, PA, MI, and WI by razor thin margins.

He can't afford to alienate people, especially considering that 1) a lot of D voting immigrants have become citizens since 2016, 2) a lot of leftwing teenagers have turned 18 since 2016 and can now vote, and 3) a significant number of elderly Trump voters have died since 2016.

I think he can still win this election, but it will be close.

If the D candidate was anyone but Biden (and Hillary), I'd be worried.

16. nursetim

nursetim

I also disagree, he has offered help, but the mayors and governors have not just declined, but have in effect, been told to jam it. Do you expect him to declare martial law?

BobbyS, Pythonman, tm255 and 3 others like this.
  17. thespork

thespork

He did give a news conference the other day before the military got sent in to DC...

The crisis has largely passed at this point.

18. B C

B C

19. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

He was here in Maine today. Hope he brought his skeeter spray.

20. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

I've noticed that trend as well