Where Do You Clean/Work on Your guns?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Steel & Wood, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

My wife and I just bought a house in a very nice area here in Fort Lauderdale and it has a one-car garage. My dad and I built this workbench (from a kit) this past weekend.

[​IMG]

My question is, when you are in your garage working on your guns, do you have a loaded gun on you? Or is it nearby?

I ask because my garage is NOT air conditioned and so I have to put the garage door up. Is it paranoia or precaution?

What say you?

TGG

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Basement,........when I was in Pembroke Pines, I cleaned in the
    garage when the wife was home. When she was gone,......
    kitchen island. :whistling:

3. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

YIKES!!!! My wife would kill me!!!

I would love to have a basement, but as we all know, basements in South FL are called swimming pools:rofl:

TGG

4. CBennett

CBennett

In the livingroom when wife isnt home and if its nice out I actually sit out on my front porch and clean them. and no, im not one of those that thinks i need a loaded gun at my side 24/7. so no I dont have a loaded gun with me when im cleaning them.

5. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I clean my guns on my workbench in the basement as well. I have an infant at home so I don't think the smell of Hoppes all through the living room would be the best thing for him right now...haha! To answer your other question, yes, I usually have a carry gun on me throughout the day so it's no different while I'm in the basement.

6. Keyhole

Keyhole

Kitchen island! I have a rifle mat and a Glock mat though, and most of my gear is in a big tacklebox. I do extend the courtesy of using a chamber safety flag up until I break something down. She's ok as long as she can see the flag or a dozen pieces. Oh, but when it's Butch's time I don't even go to the garage...back porch only.

7. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

8. SigFTW

SigFTW

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

[​IMG]

Adults use Hoppe's No. 9.
    Women and children like the aroma.

10. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

and no, im not one of those that thinks i need a loaded gun at my side 24/7. so no I dont have a loaded gun with me when im cleaning them.[/QUOTE]

mega dittos

I clean/work on my guns with the garage door open weather permitting.

11. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

It would be nice to have a neatly organized workshop, but I am neither neat nor organized.

I have 2' x 3' styrofoam pad and a matching remnant of commercial carpet that I set out on the dining room table. That pretty much protects the finish of the table from both chemical and mechanical damage.

The carpet was added after a wayward squirt of CLP ate through the styrofoam and dissolved a small spot of varnish on the table top. The wife never made the connection between the spot and my gun cleaning, but she's pretty much OK with the padding I use now.

12. BEER

BEER bad example

sometimes out in the garage, sometimes in the house. it varies depending on the situation.

if the weather is nice out i'll do it at the picnic table out back under the shade tree. that's especially nice when a group of us have been at the range together for the day. we'll come back here and put a case of beer in the cooler and get the grill going and then clean the guns while we wait on the beer to get cold and the grill to get hot.

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Dang Cobra'.......clean, organized set-up, kinda looks like a dentist office!

14. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

In my living room. Not being married is nice sometimes. I usually clean one gun then the other so I have a gun around, not loaded though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  15. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Usually the living room or garage, nice build :cool:

:50cal:

16. barefoot

barefoot

In South Texas, I'm sure it's like South Florida in that there are some times of the year that work in the garage happens only under duress. Being single, I clean my guns on my living room coffee table. My nod to organization is having my cleaning supplies in a big tackle box. Don't tell anyone, but I don't carry at home, my around-the-house shorts won't hold up my G27 carry pistol.
    That's a nice looking bench you have, TGG. I have to comment, though - a one-car garage in a nice neighborhood? I'm guessing it's an old house. My idea of 'nice' is a 3-car garage with an attached house. My current house has a 1.5 car garage (oh, they say it's big enough for 2) with barely enough room for a small car and two motorcycles. Did I mention I'm single? :tongueout: I have a drum set in my kitchen, too, and a pot just for boiling cosmoline off of milsurp rifle parts.

17. ctfireman

ctfireman

Bedroom. I'm single.

18. steve581581

steve581581

I'm not married yet so until I am or the misses starts paying the bills they are all cleaned at the kitchen counter on a plastic cutting board. Oh the joys of her moving into my house as opposed to the opposite.

19. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

In my basement workshop.

No need to wear/carry a firearm down there. No gremlins, there.

20. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

I have been using a bathroom due to the full house. Now I have my office back and once it is ready, that will be the place.

I never clean around the family. It also bothers my wife to see me with my guns. We have 3 sons still at home and they are a bit interested, but not mature enough.

I also am armed and remain so while cleaning.