Where do they find these guys?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by vafish, Sep 3, 2004.

1. vafish

vafish

My son is taking a Hunter Safety class.

The "Instructor" is a gem.

He first got my attention when he was talking about the safeties on guns and explaining where they were located. He mentioned that on handguns you could never tell where the safety is and some of them, like the Glock, don't even have a safety.

He's always handling his demonstrations guns, never checks the chamber when he picks them up and on several occasions has pointed the guns at the class so they can see how big the hole in the end of the barrel is or what a smooth bore looks like.

Also made a comment about the .223 being designed by the military to wound people and it doesn't make a good hunting round. (OK the .223 is not legal for deer in VA, but with proper bullets it would work fine on the little ones we have around here)

He also was knocking the NRA shooting classes because they taught "Target" shooting and that's not useful for hunting. I mentioned to him that my gun club ran an air rifle program for kids and he said it was worthless for hunting because we taught 3 postion Olympic style shooting.

VGDIF puts the classes on for free and they guy is probably a volunteer, but I'm still glad that I'm around to teach my kid right.

Maybe I shouldn't complain unless I'm willing to teach the classes, but I already spend at least 2 days a week on the range with our clubs junior program. (Yeah the one he was calling worthless, had at least 2 of the kids last year shoot nice bucks.)

2. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Just like in everything, there's always a couple in the bunch.

One of my friends voulnteers/teaches Hunter Safety and is very knowledgeable. Great guy who is always working to promote hunting and safety and is even the president of our NWTF local chapter.

I had a great teacher for my class way back when.

I guess if they take away the start of sportsmenship, ethics and safety it will give them a good foundation to build on.

3. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

My older brother did not have to take hunters safety but I was 3 years later in the First class held in PA.

Two day class with shooting at the end of the class, I believe that the instructors had to be certified by the Game commision before they could teach the class..

The two gentlemen that taught that first class were superior outdoorsman and firearms folks, they first and always stressed safety.. at 12 I was awed..

I re-took the class with my son when he wanted to go hunting.. You know in all those years it had not changed very much at all.. Two great guys teaching and it was enjoyable to attend.. again safety was a very heavily stresed and intstruction the kids got on firearms was very well done.

I've been around some folks like what you ran into and yes to some extent unless your willing to spend the time teaching the class it's hard to complain, although I may not have sat there quietly :)..

Fish i Hope that your son enjoys his hunting experiences.

Jeff.

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

Remember the old saying:

"those who can do, those who can't teach"
    bertrand russell.

5. vafish

vafish

The class finished up today. My son passed the test and got his certificate. The guy did cover all the safety points, I just wished he would have practiced what he preached a bit more.