close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where did this Glock underwater shooting info come from and is it true?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by emt1581, Mar 7, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Another member shared this in a thread but I have never heard some of it before so I'm curious as to it's source and accuracy. Please share your thoughts/experience...

"The Glock 17 may be equipped with an optional set of maritime spring cups for use in water environments. Maritime spring cups are not intended for submerged firing, but for surface use by ski jet teams who operate in and around water. The maritime spring cups are two small parts within the firing pin assembly and are not included on any Model 17 sold by Glock (civilians can only get them through 3rd parties). They insure that water can pass by the firing pin within the firing pin channel, thus preventing the creation of hydraulic force within the firing pin channel -- which would slow the firing pin down, causing light primer strikes. With the special cups, the action will cycle reliably while submersed, if a little bit slower. NATO specification ammunition (such as Winchester's Ranger RA9124N) with waterproof sealed primers and case mouths is recommended.

Although you may install the maritime spring cups on any Glock model, *only* the Glock 17 was designed and intended to use the modified spring cups for aquatic firing -- and only then using 9mm ball ammunition to remain within acceptable pressure limits. The foolhardy who insist on living dangerously must keep several things in mind: The Glock 17 must be fully submersed underwater. There must not be any air left within the pistol as the muzzle is pointed towards the surface of the water after submersion to allow the air in the barrel to escape. Use only full metal jacket, ball-type ammunition because the water within the barrel can spread a hollow point out within the barrel upon firing. This increases the bearing surface of the bullet to the barrel and could catastrophically increase pressures. Even if the barrel doesn't burst, the expanded bullet would get even bigger upon exiting into the water and would slow down very quickly while tumbling. Accuracy would be terrible.

The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various jet ski riders operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized jet ski rider group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.

Trained jet ski personnel who use Glocks underwater know they must obey several rules:
    1) use only a Glock Model 17 with amphibious spring cups (reliability issue);
    2) use only 9mm FMJ subsonic, sealed primer ammo;
    3) completely immerse the pistol and get *all* the air out of the barrel;
    4) wear protective ear plugs, gloves, wet suit, face mask, etc.;
    5) do not fire near solid objects or in enclosed spaces to prevent return
    concussion.

However, any Glock -- even those not equipped with maritime spring cups -- will normally fire while submersed underwater. But doing so may generate excessive internal pressure and may cause the pistol to literally blow up. This is especially true with the use of high-pressure rounds (such as the .40 S&W/357 SIG) or hollow-point bullets."

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. malleable

malleable

3. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Google "shooting Glocks under-water". You-Tube is full of videos.

4. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

5. BK63

BK63

I heard two young guys last year at the range talking about Glocks and how they were tested by leaving one at the bottom of the dead sea for 6 months, then it was brought up and fired just fine :supergrin::supergrin:

I have to wonder where some of the stories come from.

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've heard lots about abuse tests on Glocks. Usually I can tell when it's BS and when it's true, but this one has me stumped...moreso the ballistics...:dunno:

-Emt1581

7. JoshK

JoshK

i find that incredibly hard to believe.... think of the water in the milk jug test.... that would be the equivalent of 9-10 jugs of penetration.... highly doubtful, if not impossible with regular ammo, to say the least....

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Mythbusters did a show about shooting into water. I forget all the details, but it was remarkable how much a bullet(they tested rifles only) lost it's power in water.

9. edge4628

edge4628

10. edge4628

edge4628

"All supersonic bullets (up to .50-caliber) disintegrated in less than 3 feet (90 cm) of water, but slower velocity bullets, like pistol rounds, need up to 8 feet (2.4 metres) of water to slow to non-lethal speeds. Shotgun slugs require even more depth (the exact depth couldn’t be determined because their one test broke the rig). However, as most water-bound shots are fired from an angle, less actual depth is needed to create the necessary separation."

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode34

11. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

12. CynicX

CynicX

lol come on!

Goto glock.com, top tab click "Options", side tap click "Spring Cups"

Center screen.

[​IMG]

"MARITIME
    Optimum water permeability for secure firing even under water!
    Only approved for GLOCK pistols in caliber 9x19."

So yes, its pretty obvious click does have maritime spring cups considering they are advertised on their webpage...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  13. CLena88

CLena88

14. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Pretty sure the 9mm (out of a pistol) was actually the best performer in that test because it wasn't going so fast that it fragmented. I still don't think it'd penetrate a board if it even reached it at 10 feet.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  15. SP-FIN

SP-FIN

The maritime spring cups come standard on the G17 Pro. I guess it's because it's only sold in Finland, the "land of the thousand lakes". :whistling:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  16. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Would a 17 be as reliable with these spring cups for normal use? Even if you never go under water?

17. Sgt_Gold

Sgt_Gold

If that's the case then they should come as standard for all Glocks sold in Minnisota.:supergrin:

18. SPDMTL

SPDMTL

I think they (mythbusters)also tested a 50 cal and it was useless after about 6ft. into the water.

19. voyager4520

voyager4520

The thread you quoted sounds pretty accurate as to what I've heard is true. I know someone would be taking their life into their own hands if they tried to shoot any gun under water and if they submerged parts of their body that contain vital organs it would pretty much be asking to die, as the pressure waves generated could shred internal organs.