Where Did The Birds Go?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jake514, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Jake514

Jake514

i have noticed far fewer birds around this year. Also, while hunting in south and west Texas this year there were far fewer doves around. I have also not seen nearly as many song birds this year at my backyear feeders as compared to previous years. I feed the multi-variety seed from Costco, and sterilize it myself in the microwave. We did have excess rain but I would have thought that would make for better cover and more birds, not fewer.

Anyone else notice far fewer song birds or other birds in their area?

Dr. Bill likes this.
  2. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

All in all, it's been a pretty mild winter. Just a couple of days ago I saw geese flying south, that's about 3 months later than usual.

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Went to Kentucky last year for a stay and noticed far fewer birds than in 2013. The locals said they had a harsh winter the year before and a lot didn't make it.

4. Kbheiner

Kbheiner

No difference here. I have a couple pair of finches upset with me because I haven't put the flowers baskets out yet - where they each raise several broods each year. Guess I better hit the nursery today...

5. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

6. powernoodle

powernoodle

My bird feeders are very busy right now. There is an ebb and flow to everything in nature, from the weather to the bird population. Like capitalism, Mother Nature is self-correcting if you just leave her alone.

Old School and First shot like this.
  7. Dragline

Dragline

Around here, ongoing development leading to loss of habitat is the likely culprit in declining bird sightings.

8. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

They all came here instead.

9. Jake514

Jake514

I wholeheartedly agree on the ebb and flow in all things, birds included. I have also noticed far fewer feral cats over the last few years so they can't be blamed.

The one change I have noticed this year are rats that seem to be migrating through the neighborhood. Many are resistant to traps and other methods of eradication. I wish I could get rid of them.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

Down here in the river of grass the bird populations seem to rise in the winter. Part of that is an increase in migratory birds escaping winter. But people who know about these things have also told me that in the winter it is dryer here so a fair amount of wildlife including birds tend to congregate around limited water sources rather than ranging further when there is more water. Aquatic animals will also be congregated at water sources - some as source of food for the birds, others for the birds as food. Birds of prey also tend to be closer to limited water sources because that is where the birds and fish they eat are at.

Perhaps a long shot here, but if your winter has been more wet than usual perhaps some of the birds are spread out more.

11. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

Have you never read "Silent Spring?" DDT got them all back in the '60s!

The dawn of militant environmentalism.