close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where did the Assault Weapons Ban come from?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by frank4570, Apr 27, 2012.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I'm not very educated on this subject. But I don't remember reports of hordes of people roaming the streets and shooting people with black rifles. So I'm guessing the idea was started of "Just think what COULD happen." And then the fearmongering was used to whip people up into a frenzy. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
    So, how did that idea get legs in the first place?

2. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Our rights have been under attack since the days of Prohibition ended and the government needed to figure out how to employ all of the thugs they hired to break up stills and hooch houses. These folks named "The Untouchables" for their ruthless acts of violence against US citizens were a hard bunch of government thugs. The government tried to keep these guys employed through the Volstaed Act and later the Alcohol Tax Unit for a while following the end of Prohibition.

These roughneck government thugs were given a new mission a few years later (1942) and the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) was formed. Then they started targeting gun owners and gun rights to further their employment.

To continue with their employment and the overall Progressive movement of government agenda that was created in the 1930's the reign to disarm American citizens began using scare tactics through the ideolized MOB and Mafia organized crime. Make people scared and they will give up rights for 'protection'. Social engineering at it's finest. In 1968 the government created the Gun Control Act whereabouts the name ATF became official under the auspicious of Organized Crime Control Act of 1970. Later in 1972 they fell under the Treasury as they have established themselves through taxation and interstate commerce clauses.

Long story short it has been a slow noose that is being tightened on almost every administration (yes including Reagan, Bush, Clinton, etc).

3. Javelin

That noose is around the gun owner's necks and the goal is simple.

If you can't make guns illegal then make so many laws that almost any gun owner can become a criminal.

EDIT: You are seeing this today... I believe there are over 25,000 gun laws @ local, state, and federal levels. That's not a typo.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. fgutie35

fgutie35

Watch 48 hours.

It was consecuence of a shooting that happened in Los Angeles back in the 80's where bank robbers confronted police with fully automatic AK-47 and AR rifles and had bullet proof vests. That incident also gave birth to the SWAT team. Back then, poilce only had 9mm berettas to fight back. So they were underpowered. Until a policeman had the idea to go into the local gunstore that was across the street to arm themselves with high power rifles.

5. G-19

G-19

Man, you really hate America. I agree that Clinton passed the AWB, but the rest of your theory is really out there. I mean every post you post is anti American. If you hate it here so bad, leave. Of course, no where else would put up with you, would they?

I mean, all you Paul supporters do is talk about how bad America is, and it is really getting stale.

6. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

The North Hollywood shootout was 97. The AWB was 94. Swat teams have been around since the 80's.

:upeyes:

7. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Actually, he isn't anti-American. It's the antigun agenda that is anti-American. He is also correct. :yawn:

8. snerd

snerd Deep State

We get it. Just shut up and go along to get along. No matter what. You can't even conceive of who it is that actually hates America, so I won't bother trying to point it out to you.

9. Javelin

I don't even know where to begin or how to reply to this ridiculous post.

When did Machineguns become illegal to manufacture and import?
    Answer: Reagan

When did the 922 laws come about that makes any gun owner a felon if they don't use enough US made parts in their guns? Answer: George Bush Sr.

When did the AWB come about to limit magazine capacity and a host of other rules and laws.
    Answer: Bill Clinton

When did the ATF gain the ability to take away veterans rights to own firearms through the VA program without even being able to defend themselves in court (88,000 have lost their rights to gun ownership and are felons if they possess a firearm - most don't even know it).
    Answer: George W. Bush

10. snerd

snerd Deep State

Ah, the 'ole 'love it or leave it' reasoning. You can't even understand the one basic principle underlying all of our other freedoms...... free speech. If someone's free speech bothers you so much, why don't YOU leave?

See how stupid that argument sounds?

11. fgutie35

fgutie35

12. G-19

G-19

You Ronulans are really out there. It is a good thing you and your party are irrelevant. If it wasn't for forums like this you would not even be noticed.

Only good thing about you, is you give me the chance to have some fun taunting you into showing your true colors.

13. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

14. Javelin

You really have not said anything constructive or provided anything worthwhile in this thread. You have merely pointed out multiple times as to your complete dislike for 'Ronulans'.

So we get it. You don't like Ron Paul or anyone that follows him. Maybe go start your own thread about that.

15. G-19

G-19

You do realize Pink Floyd was a band not a person.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd

16. snerd

snerd Deep State

If you had even one clue, or paid any attention at all, or did any small amount of inquiry, you would know that I'm no ronulan. But then again, that's my point......... you assume everything and question nothing.

17. The Maggy

The Maggy

Ultimately, the idea of gun control/ banning the sale of certain weapons dates back to the end of slavery.

Dixiecrats didn't were appalled by the thought of former saves being legally armed.

18. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

The AWB came from Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer. After the Stockton, CA schoolyard shooting (Patrick Purdy, 1989), "assault weapons" became a topic of gun banners interest, taking their focus off of handguns. Various incidents fed their interest, and the two concocted a list of models and another list of features, from what many believe to be nothing more than browsing gun catalogs.

19. greenman19

greenman19

there have always been people who wanted to disarm the public... always will.

actually the 94 assault weapons ban got its roots from when reagan was shot. if you recall james brady was also shot in the head. this prompted his wife sarah to start the "brady campaign" trying to do away with all firearms. there were multiple bills proposed but the one we all know is the assault weapons ban.

now ask me what high capacity mag and scary rifle restrictions had to do with a couple of guys getting shot with a .22 revolver... on second thought dont, i haven't a clue.

20. CAcop

CAcop

The Stockton schoolyard shooting started the ball rolling but the crack wars really got things moving. A lot of gun control has racial overtones in it. The reason why CA banned loaded open carry is because of the Black Panthers.