Where can I get an ABIT Northbridge fan?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Mar 9, 2005.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

For a KD7A? One of mine's going south, I think.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

They do that, don't they?

ALL the ABIT NB coolers I have seen are that way...they use cheap sleeve bearings.

If you aren't interested in getting a new CPU cooler (mine cools the entire MOBO, NB included), then there are some aftermarket solutions available.

Here's a fanless solution that works as well as the ABIT active HS...

But here's the cooler my CPU wears...it cost $44, BTW.
    [​IMG]

You can see how it would cool the RAM, NB, MOSFETs and all the caps and such, can't you? There isn't much blocking the airflow down through the fins, so the air streams over the MOBO and chills everything out quite well.

Plus it dropped my CPU temps by about 10 degrees Centigrade...so if the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu (or AlCu) will fit your boad, I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

PS. If you get another ABIT fan, it'll do the same thing in a few months.

3. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

How would you know if your NB fan is going out - short of staring at it through a clear window?

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

It started making racket, so I opened up the case and looked. It was just barely turning. I took it out and gave it a good soaking in WD-40, which freed it up and it's running fine now, but I don't think it'll last.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I have never done more than discarded them, but if theres a way to get the fan blades off the spindle, you should be able to get some cup grease in there.

That'll extend fan life for quite a while...but those things are so incredibly cheap to start with, there's no telling if they'll even work after being disassembled.

And that cheap aluminum heatsink will NOT cool efficiently enough in passive mode; you'd need to use a passthrough CPU cooler or another NB cooler, that's all there is to it.

The best cheap fix, besides buttering it up with axle grease, is to jury-rig a 60mm or 80mm fan to blow directly onto that cooler.

And remember, WD-40 has no real lubricative properties...it's merely refined Kerosene.

Good luck!

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

ZALMAN NORTHBRIDGE CHIPSET ZM-NB47J Heatsink Dimensions 37 (L) X 37 (W) X 47 (H) mm
    Weight 54g
    Material Aluminum
    1. One ZM-NB47J Heatsink
    2. One Supply of Thermal Grease
    3. Bolts, Nuts, Links, Push Pins, Springs (Two of Each)

7. Rager

Rager

You might find something on these pages.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/621/1273.pdf

I just found an old P100 or P133 fan to work on my nVidia 4800 vid card. But someone pointed me to the above site. Sure has a hell of a selection.

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Actually, after cleaning it with WD-40 I applied a couple of drops of Militec on the bearings. But your points are well taken.

Rager and Wash, thanks, I'll look into those. ;)

9. Rager

Rager

You're welcome.

I have taken the time to take a proc cooler fan apart. It's an Orb brand heatsink and fan. With a magnifying lamp and the right tools it wasn't too bad.

I lubed it with some synthetic lube and got another 6 months out of it. It was just kinda dry, not particularly worn. I can't remember, I think it was setup with ball bearings not a sleeve.

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Zalman Northbridge Cooler ZM-NB47J

Features

1. ZM-NB47J does not require a fan, and thus does not need to be powered and does not create noise or vibration. 2. The Northbridge chipset can be cooled down to an optimal temperature without generation of noise.

* Recommendation : When used with CPU coolers such as CNPS6000-XXXX (socket462) and CNPS6500B-XXXX (socket478) having FB123, or with CNPS7000-XXXX (socket478/754), more stable and silent operation can be achieved.

Components
    1) One ZM-NB47J Heatsink
    2) One Supply of Thermal Grease
    3) Bolts, Nuts, Links, Push Pins,
    Springs (Two of Each)

Heatsink Specifications
    1) Model : ZM-NB47J
    2) Dimensions : 37(L) X 37(W) X 47(H) mm
    3) Material : Aluminum
    4) Weight : 54g

Compatible Northbridge Chipsets ZM-NB47J is compatible with all Northbridge chipsets that do not have a built-in graphics chipset.

Note
    1) ZM-NB47J cannot be used on motherboards that lack mounting holes around the Northbridge chipset.
    2) If the provided push pins don¡¯t match the holes on the motherboard, use the push pins supplied with motherboard.
    3) Do not install ZM-NB47J if it interferes with components on the motherboard. How to Install

Details

Weight 0.40 lbs
    Price: $ 5.95