close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where are you from?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Z71bill, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

I was born in South Dakota - lived there for the first 22 years of my life -

Then I moved to another state for a couple years - and then moved again and again and again -

Finally ended up in Texas :supergrin: - where I have been for the last 22 years.

When someone has asked me -- where are you from? - I have always said South Dakota -

but

In a few weeks I will have lived in Texas longer that I did SD - so am I now "from" Texas?

How do you determine? Is it just where you were born? What if you were born in one state - but only lived there a short time.

So - Where you are from? and

How do you determine where you are from?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. farley45

farley45

To me where I am from is where home is. I was born in Nebraska, but my father was in the military so we went all over the place. I live in Nebraska now, and Nebraska will always be my home.

To me, it doesn't matter too much about where you were born or how much time you spent in a location, it is more about where you feel you belong or feel at "home." Kind ambiguous I suppose, but oh well.

3. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

i was born in central florida, and never left. well, except for vacations. i'm a cracker, through and through.

spent so much time vacationing in Colorado, that people occasionally ask if i'm from there.

"not yet." is my reply.

4. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I was born in Augusta, GA. We moved to Savannah before I was 3. My parents were in Augusta because my father was an engineer working for Dupont building the Savannah River Site nuclear bomb making facility. I grew up in Savannah and lived there until I was 30.

Despite being a GA cracker I have no discernible accent. Both my parents and their parents were yankees. I went to boarding schools with yankees. If you hear me speak you might think I'm from the south but not be quite sure. I can put on a pretty thick drawl when I try.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Originally, from East Tennessee. The Great Smoky Mountains!
    Then, my parents kidnapped me (at 13) and moved to Maryland, and I've been here ever since.

6. banjobob

banjobob

No, The last person who was not born in Texas but was allowed to claim himself a Texian was the great David Crockett.

7. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

From Ticonderoga, N.Y., originally. Lived in Sacramento,Ca. for 13 years.Been in Arkansas since 2001.

8. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Born in Battle Creek Michigan in 1954 moved to Florida in 1995
    Regards
    DW

9. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Colusa California and brought up in N. California in the East and North Bay Area, spent for years away in the USN came back for three years then spent eight years in Utah before coming back in 1992. So I have lived 38 of 50 years in California.

10. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Born out on the central Oregon coast. Where I stayed up until I joined the Marines at 20... and got stuck out here in the mojave, where I'm currently at.

Looking to shuffle my little family up to eastern WA in six months or so when my contract is up.

11. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Born, raised and lived in Poland for 33 years.
    In Canada for 20 months.

12. sharp

sharp

My family moved to Page, AZ when I was about 9 and I lived there until I turned 18....still consider Page to be my "home town" though. I've been in my current town for almost 9 years, so maybe I'll have to change my way of thinking.

13. Master T

Master T

Always been a Kentucky person. Same county even. But I do travel outside the State a lot!

14. Bullseye300

Bullseye300

I have lived in Western Pennsylvania my whole life.
    Bullseye

15. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Now, now, that is not nice.

He can't claim native status, but he is a Texan.

Of course, I can't claim native status either. But my wife can.

16. zebramochaman

zebramochaman

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., raised on Long Island, N.Y., Lived in Maryland 1987 - 1992, worked and lived in Riyadh Saudi Arabia 1992-1994, moved back to Maryland and have been here since leaving KSA.

17. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

Born in Nebraska and still live there. Even if I moved I'd still consider myself "from Nebraska" since that's where I grew up.

18. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I guess I always figured "where you were from" was where you were born & raised.

I'm from Florida...didn't leave there until I was out of college. Then returned later in life and lived on the other coast (St. Pete) for years. Then left again and moved to GA, where I live today. I still consider Florida home.

19. BEER

BEER bad example

well you weren't born here but at least you had the god given sense to marry into it, so technically you count. lol

20. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I lived there at one time...worked in McKinney. I have family there too. But nope...I have the Aggies and Longhorns :supergrin: Do the women still have poofy Texas Hair?