close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

when will they make cable boxes obsolete?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Snaps, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

After just seeing the new samsung smart TV commercial I had to think of something that's annoyed me for years.

They make these fancy TVs, hitech remotes, and then you are at the mercy of the giant cable box remote. Same thing with DirecTV. You can control stuff with a fancy remote except for all the features you use to watch TV.

Somebody's gotta be able to fix this.

2. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Cable boxes are a means to prevent you from seeing what you want without paying for it.

Before the digital boxes, tuners in my TV's had a selection of "Cable channels" or "Over the air". No boxes needed.

Then people started "de-coding" premium channels and pricing went up.

Strictly a way to make more money.

3. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

gotta be a way for them to control it like you do internet. This really is like me having to control my iPad from a special comcast internet box. I don't mind paying for things, but I want to do it with the gear I have. Not only am I stuck using this but i have to pay for the box.

4. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Seems that they could build in a cable box pretty easy. Would be so much nicer.

5. captainstormy

captainstormy

You can still watch cable without the cable box. I've done it before I went to only netflix and over the air programing.

6. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Not here. They gave us new digital tuners and if you don't have them you don't get any channels.

7. captainstormy

captainstormy

I suppose it could depend on the company. My fiancee's spare bedroom has a tv just screwed into the outlet that gets cable.

If you don't have a digital TV that could be your problem also.

8. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

You used to be able to do that here, they changed it about a year or two ago. Has nothing to do with the digital TV signals which are transmitted through the air. IIRC it's supposed to give them more "room" for more channels, internet, and on demand services.

9. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Same thing here. No "over the air" channels anymore. You get this little box from the cable company for free, but it has an even worse remote.

10. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Hardware to combine/replace your modem and separate cable boxes is currently in production. It wont be long before we have one main media device that connects to the internet, as well as distributes all media in your home.

11. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I would be a happy guy if I could use my fancy thin little Sony remote to control my rec, tv AND change channels

12. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I think most newer tv sets accept cable cards which eliminate the need for cable boxes. You would still need s separate dvr if you many to record programs.

13. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

cable card you say? Hmmm.... Well I have to newer Sony TVs. Less than 2yrs old so that might work. I'll have to call comcast about this.

14. Adjuster

Adjuster

The reason for current cable boxes is because they are 'addressable' and the cable company can control them from their offices. They can bill you for the services you pay for and keep you from watching the services you don't pay for. I can see however how tv's with a built in cable company card reader would eliminate this. I haven't heard of this technology till now. It will be nice when it is universally implemented.

/

15. captainstormy

captainstormy

Really odd, I guess it's good to live in Columbus. We still have OTA broadcasts here too. We have about 20 free OTA channels here in Columbus and about half of them (mostly the good ones) are in HD even.

16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

17. HexHead

HexHead

There are over the air channels, your TV just needs to have a digital tuner. All the channels you had before, plus sub-channels. All TV stations were required to switch from analog to digital a couple of years ago.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  18. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Have any of you looked into the Logietech Harmony remotes? I've eliminated all of my remotes except for the PS3, which can also be done if you buy a separate IR receiver for the PS3. You use your computer to program macros, ie you push the 'watch tv' button, and it will turn on your cable box, tv, and receiver, etc all to the correct input/ output. They're pretty awesome! I bought mine refurbished from Amazon, its been through hell and still works perfectly!

19. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Also, the standard remote that comes with every standard and HD DirecTV box and/or DVR (although I'm not sure about the DirecTV "Tivo" box, since I don't own one of those) is completely programmable for up to three additional pieces of equipment.

In my family room, I can power up/shut down my AV Receiver, my TV, my Blu-Ray, and my DirecTV DVR with that remote. If I change the channel, my DTV box changes it. If I press Volume up or down, my receiver's volume increases or decreases. I can change inputs to the TV with it, so I am able to fire up the Blu-Ray, toggle over to it, and press "play" all without getting up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  20. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Right, I can do basic functions with the remote from the cable company, but if I want to turn subtitles on the DVD player, or dim the TV display, forget about it.