Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm conflicted. I really like having a ready access to a LOADED G43/G17/P238/12ga shotgun for home defense. Currently we both have CC permits. But, we really haven't been carrying much when out and about. I know; some are going to argue "you never know when, where...."; I get that. I guess my thinking has been if/when things start to go goofy (violence in our area) I'd certainly carry. Seems like a question of odds. There are situations where I will definitely carry (hiking and camping) but all the time?

So, just how paranoid to be? Life is a series of calculated risks. Those who say you have to carry 24/7 no matter what; does that really make sense?

M

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
4,028 Posts
I generally don’t carry in my home, but there is usually one nearby. I also don’t carry to the post office or the Doctor’s. Other than that, I carry everywhere. I seldom notice the no gun signs in stores and restaurants, but then again I’m not looking for them either and they don’t mean much legally around here anyway.

By the way, happy Arizona firearms sanctuary state day.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My wife and I have been EDCing since the mid 80s, so picking and choosing when & where to carry doesn't make any sense to us, but each of us must decide what works best for them.

It has been a life-style decision for us, and we have no regrets on it. Some understand it, some don't, but in the end it works for us.

·
Bitter American
723 Posts
I carry my Springfield XDS .45 every time I leave the house. I don't pay attention to the "No Guns Allowed" signs. I don't frequent "high crime" areas but anyone can become a target anywhere, even in the most mundane and "safe" places like churches. I don't consider myself paranoid, just prepared.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I used to transport fairly large amounts of money for a business, so I always carried. A lot of people new I was transporting money.

Usually when I’m around larger groups, except in the bar if I’m having a few. When I’m traveling on vacation where legal. Hiking and walking the dog ect..Other than that I’m kind of lax about it especially when I’m out and about by myself. I’m more likely to get in a H2H physical confrontation than shooting one.

·
18,308 Posts
I'm conflicted. I really like having a ready access to a LOADED G43/G17/P238/12ga shotgun for home defense. Currently we both have CC permits. But, we really haven't been carrying much when out and about. I know; some are going to argue "you never know when, where...."; I get that. I guess my thinking has been if/when things start to go goofy (violence in our area) I'd certainly carry. Seems like a question of odds. There are situations where I will definitely carry (hiking and camping) but all the time?

So, just how paranoid to be? Life is a series of calculated risks. Those who say you have to carry 24/7 no matter what; does that really make sense?
Pick a gun that is small enough to comfortably carry daily that you can shoot well, and if you're going to carry it, carry it at all times. That makes more sense than only carrying a gun when you think that you'll need it, which is like only wearing your seat belts when you think you might get in an accident. Because you never know when you're going to need a gun and you never know when you're going to get in an accident.

Otherwise, if you could know beforehand what day you were going to need your seat belts or your gun, you could just stay home that day! Some people can go through their entire lives without getting in an accident or needing a gun. But it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

I live in a small town where there is very little crime, but nearby there is a city of 250,000 where there is enough crime that I moved away from there. One day I was out for a walk in my peaceful town and I saw a very sketchy looking guy meandering in my direction and I moved off in another direction to avoid him. When I was younger, people would often change direction to avoid me and I wasn't afraid of anyone. But now at 73 years old, I'm not king of the jungle anymore, and I'm more likely to be seen as prey rather than predator and that's why I carry a gun, which is the great equalizer.

Things are not as safe anywhere as it used to be. These days there are more violent recidivists and mental cases running around than ever before and it's getting worse.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Those who say you have to carry 24/7 no matter what; does that really make sense?
A perpetually entertaining question. Why the concern with what others think/do and their justification? Comparison? Look inward.

...my thinking has been if/when things start to go goofy (violence in our area) I'd certainly carry.
Sounds like a plan. Be sure to get ample notice.;) Good luck and remain safe!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Like a seatbelt or a fire extinguisher, a gun is merely insurance. You wouldn’t forgo insurance on your car or your house, would you? It’s not that you plan on wrecking our getting hit by a tornado. Yes it’s an odds game, but losing your house without insurance isn’t as bad as getting maimed or killed. Is the value of your house really more important to you than your life?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

M
The problem is you don’t get to pick the time. When you least expect it...
And won’t you be disappointed not to have it when you need it?
also the key to your proficiency in this is to have it down to automatic Action. Constant practice makes that. And if it’s on you always, you don’t need to stage Guns.

·
Millenium #3936
6,400 Posts
This is a personal assessment, period. In dealing with tons of crime victims I have found that once you get outside of traditional domestic issues and love triangles, not too many of them were expecting to be a victim of crime. Even fewer of them ever saw it coming until it was already upon them. To carry or not is simply a choice to be made by the individual.

I carry in public often but not always.. probably a 85/15 split which leans heavily toward carriage.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I’m not sure why this is even a question. Not trying to be a dick OP but lots of analogies like the seatbelt, insurance, fire extinguisher.

I think I had a good CCW instructor. He provoked thought in his class and made you really question your motive for taking the class. He drove the point home that if you are going to commit to getting the permit then you should be committing to every day carry. Wear the pistol in the same location all the time and train and become proficient.

I read a lot of posts where people keep guns “around the house” but won’t carry at home. Why? Why does your physical location dictate when and where? What If I knock on your door and you answer, then I rush the door with gun in hand? Or you don’t answer so I go around back and start kicking the back door in?

It only takes seconds to get a gun off your hip and be ready. It may not always be comfortable to carry but it certainly is comforting.

OP, why did you get your license to carry? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
... I don't pay attention to the "No Guns Allowed" signs. I don't frequent "high crime" areas but anyone can become a target anywhere...
Where I live, I am no longer seeing "No Guns Allowed" signs; they seem to have vanished in Minnesota.

And, yeah, you can be a target anywhere. While Minneapolis is reverting to its "Murder-apolis" roots, especially in North Minneapolis, many violent car jackings are occurring in the 'burbs.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Paranoia has nothing to do with it. Truth: there are some really dangerous people with extremely heinous intentions out there. "Paranoia" is unfounded or exaggerated fear, not protecting your family from real danger.

·
Registered
29,105 Posts
Presuming it's lawful, of course, choosing when and where to carry is your choice.

I look at it this way ....

I've acquired enough training and experience during my LE career (which included many years serving as a firearms trainer) to make such a risk assessment for myself, fully realizing it still comes down to guesswork. You choose where you wish to compromise, and go with what suits your perceived needs and anticipated situations.

Now, I've seen statistics that indicate perhaps no more than 20% of actively employed cops choose to carry an off-duty weapon. I've attended my fair share of officer safety/street survival type classes where a significant percentage of the students claimed to always carry an off-duty weapon, but you'd kinda expect that response among the people attending such classes, right? By "significant percentage", I basically mean more than half but less than all, BTW.

On the other hand, in the years I volunteered to help teach classes to private citizens who were interested in getting/renewing a CCW license, I occasionally asked how many of the guys & gals attending the classes carried all, or even most, of the time. Very, very, very few responded they carried even most of the time. It seemed that the most common thinking was that they wished to have the option to carry a concealed weapon, but only at times and in situations of their choice. Well, it's not the business of anyone else to gainsay how they may wish to exercise their freedom of choice, after all, right?

Choosing to go armed in Public comes with great responsibility. Carrying a firearm as a dedicated defensive weapon means not only being aware of all the laws related to carrying one, but in a prudent sense means understanding the laws covering the possible use of one.

Then, there's the responsibility to carry the weapon safely, including in a safe manner. This arguably includes selecting a carry method that safeguards the owner, as well as the safety of those members of the Public who are around the person carrying a weapon. Accidents can become incidents where the word negligence may come into play. A worn out, improperly chosen or even improperly maintained holster that results in a ND where someone is injured or killed can change lives forever.

As a LE firearms trainer I certainly didn't discourage other cops from carrying an off-duty weapon, but also reminded them of how the practice was covered in our Policy and General Orders.

Honorably retired cops? I leave that up to them and their ability to make an informed decision about it. Some continue to satisfy the requirements to carry retirement weapons. Some don't. Some who wish to carry a retirement weapon also choose to do the additional qual requirement to carry outside their resident states, under LEOSA. Some don't. Their choice.

When I taught the Private citizen classes? I wasn't there to make those decisions for them.

Suit yourself. Make an informed decision that suits your perceived needs.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts