When was my Model 28 made??

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bear62, Oct 16, 2010.

1. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Took my S&W Model 28 (SN - N99XXX) to a friend who works at local gun shop to get his opinion on the value of the M28. The gun is in 98% plus condition. From the blue book he found two very different prices. For the first 2-3 years the M28 was manufactured the gun was valued at a whopping $700 plus (I don't remember the exact number.)

The M28's made after that (sometimes in the late 1970's) dropped about $300 or so.

I've googled quite a bit but can't find a database which shows when S&W revolvers were manufactured based on serial number.

Anyone know where I can find that info??

Thanks much.......:wavey:

2. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

If it's a 5 digit number code it looks like 72-74 according to the standard catalog of smith and wesson.

4. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

If that's the case then my M28 is in the lower cost groups ..:crying:

5. hogship

How are the "groups" divided?......and, what physical differences?......is the more desirable of the 28's a matter of when they were made only?

hog

6. ar15ed

ar15ed

28s went to the n prefix in 1969, and scosw lists n60001-n190000 as 1972-1974. looks like yours will fall in this range. this would be a model 28-2 (model should be marked inside the crane area of the frame, visible when you open the cylinder). the first generations were only called highway patrolman. in 1957, s&w started using model numbers, and it became the model 28. it is basically a "no-frills" model 27. in about 1960, a few changes were made, and it became the 28-1. the main difference between a -1 and -2 is the -1 had a lefthand thread barrel. the earlier ones also had "diamond" grips (diamond around the grip screw). most of the time a 28 (no dash) will command a better price than later ones, but there were very few -1s produced, so they are pretty expensive too.

at the moment 28-2s are a really good buy. you can find really nice examples for 400-450 around here. basically, you get a pinned and recessed n-frame smith for the price of a new ruger! they are really nice guns, and excellent shooters. the 4 inch barrels are a little more desireable than the 6 inchers, but all of them seem to be creeping up in price.

enjoy it!

7. hogship

I appreciate your reply ar15ed.........

Mine is the 28-2 w/6" barrel, N96xxx. It's been loaded and locked up in a compact easy access gun box in my home for a number of years. I've added Pachmayr grippers. I don't see this gun very much, but it serves me as one of the most important firearms I own.......the most likely one to be pressed into service at a time of extreme need.

It's really too big of a gun for the cartridge, but it's got "tank" appeal to the max!

hog

[​IMG]

8. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Fantastic reply, ar15ed......... :wavey: