close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When to become concerned?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by docj78, Feb 18, 2010.

1. docj78

docj78

I bought my G23 the last week of 2009, and have been to the range about 6 times, and am nearing the 1000 round mark.

I have had several malfunctions with FTF seeming to be the main issue. I also had one where the fresh round actually looke like a stovepipe, w/the front of the unfired bullet pointing straight up.:wow: At this point, I've probably had ~8 total malfunctions including 2 while a friend was shooting.

It's tough b/c there are so many variables, including my stance/grip-which I admit may be to blame. I've been shooting a mix of winchester white box and Federal range ammo--no re-loads.

Anyway, I guess I'll number my magazines (just got 3 new ones) and see if there is a magazine issue. I just had hoped that the gun would be more flawless--as many have posted here regarding firing reliability.

Am I being overly concerned? When do most become suspicious of the actual gun having a problem?

2. CC Glock

CC Glock

somethings deff going on....just dont know what. it could be several different things. if it was my gun i would be freaking out.

3. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Seems like a high percentage. I'd run it by a good gunsmith and have him take a look.

4. mainegunner

mainegunner

Like you stated number your mags and see if it is certain mags. Your grip could be a problem limp wristing maybe. Hard to say without seeing you shoot. I just picked up a new G23 RTF last week but have only put 200 rounds through it. No hiccups running fine so far. Do you shoot with thumbs forward?

5. pjstreng

pjstreng

I'm having a similar problem with my G23. After 500 rounds, I'm having FTE issues -- probably three or four every 50 rounds. No stove pipes, the spent case gets extracted but doesn't get ejected. I've tried to narrow down the variables; ammo, magazines, grip, stance, but cannot figure it out. I am prepared to be told it's me, but I don't have issues with the other semi-autos I shoot. I've been so conscious of the malfunction, I grip the weapon so hard I shake!

Had a local armorer look at it, but everything checked out with him. He witnessed one FTE I had and just scratched his head.

I have given up trying to figure it out myself and sent it back to Glock for them to QC it. I really like the G23 an am anxious to get the problem sorted out.

6. docj78

docj78

It's aggravating b/c this is my first glock, and I have no other to compare it to. I understand that grip and stance have a part in functionality, but I honestly doubt that's my problem. I keep a pretty firm grip and arm extension while shooting.

In general, what is the course of action should the problem remain? Take it back to my retailer--do they have any obligation to do anything with it? I'm going to be pissed if I have to send my first and only Glock back to Smyrna--especially since a lot of these "issues" seem to get some pacifying "fix" from Glock.

I don't want to feed into my angst, but I feel like I need to go to range again and shoot more ammo just to keep confirming or denying there's a problem.

7. pjstreng

pjstreng

I called Glock directly and spoke with one of their customer service guys (Doug). He was very friendly and agreed that I should send it back to them. I was hoping that they'd have sent me a prepaid shipping label, but they didn't. Oh well. the 30 bucks shipping is worth it if they get it sorted out (or tell me there's nothing wrong with it).

This is my first glock as well. I had planned for it to be my primary CCW. I was quite surprised to have issues. It does happen though. I hope the customer support will turn out to be a good as their reputation.

8. docj78

docj78

Yea. Mine is my CCW--that make the issue that much more discouraging. I may call them and see what they say.

9. pjstreng

pjstreng

Good luck with yours I hope you get it taken care of. Let us know how it goes.

10. GeorgeBurdell

GeorgeBurdell

Maybe a good cleaning is in order? Dunno. I got a G23 from Santa this year and I'm nearing 1000 rounds as well - but thankfully have experienced none of the issues you described. I clean mine every time I get home from the range

11. docj78

docj78

Mine is cleaned every time too. George--have you not had a single malfunction?

12. trifecta

trifecta

If you have a friend that is a solid shooter, have them take it to the range. If it still fails, it's the gun.

13. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:help: 6/1000= 0.006% or 1 out of every 166.6666666666667 :help:

14. MGman

MGman

Win white box and even Remington is hit or miss in some Glocks--could be a bad under-powered batch.

Try some better stuff. Spend the extra cash.

Locking your wrists and leaning into the gun or away? Check the firing pin channel. Maybe some lube or other thing is gumming it up. Plenty of youtube vids to show you how to disassemble and check the striker and firing pin channel etc. check the extractor claw. Make sure it is not chipped or damaged.

Did you clean it before you used it? I always clean a new gun regardless of it's "reliability factor"

Is it not going into full battery when you fire it? Are you using 3rd party manufacturer's springs, or other parts/or is it completely stock?

You need to try to be as specific as you can when you state a problem so others can help.

Good luck and keep us informed what happens.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  15. English

English

docj78 and pjstreng,
    You are right to be concerned and the problem is almost certainly not limp wristing which is offered up a a solution to almost every malfunction. docj78's problem sounds like a magazine fault. but pjstreng's problem is most likely to do with the extractor. Glock seems to have had a lot of them with .40S&W pistols recently. I think the extractor problem is either a sharp bur that hangs on to the case or sticky movement of the extractor. This does not explain an unfireded round in a stove pipe position. I think that has to be a magazine problem. Part of the trouble with both these is that you can spend a lot of money on ammo and time at the range trying to narrow down what is causing the problem.

Really, it is Glock's problem and they should fix it. It should go back to them for them to fix but if they will send you bits you can play with them yourself.

If it goes back it should go via your retailer. If he is an FFL holder he can send it back for far less money than you can send it.

English

16. pjstreng

pjstreng

English, I detail stripped my slide and removed the extractor and related parts. I am aware of the extractor issues you mention. As far as I could see, the extractor seemed ok, the spring fine, and the whole extraction "mechanism" when assembled seemed sound. I considered returning it via the dealer, but wanted to establish a relationship with someone at glock that I could dialogue with once they have it in their hands.

17. Marlowe

Marlowe

I agree with those who have suggested contacting Glock. Tell them what you have experienced, then follow their recomendations (hopefully, they will say to send them the gun).

Reliability is the single most important issue with any defense weapon. The manufacturer is the best place to start to deal with the issue (after GT, of course).

Numbering the mags is a very sound idea.

In terms of ammo, what's most critical is that your carry ammo feeds reliably. However, if you are having problems with "practice ammo", you will lack confidence in your weapon, which is not good. In any event, while ammo testing is necessary, if you already know you have an issue, it may not be worth the expense to conduct extensive testing at this point.

AFTER Glock has as addressed the problem, you will want to test the weapon again. Don't assume the problem will have gone away because the gun has been to the factory. So I would save my ammo budget for T and E after the gun has been back to the factory.

It's better to deal with the problem then try to convince yourself you don't have one, so I think you are on the right track.

18. Nutt51

Nutt51

8 out of 1000 may be small percentage wise, but it only takes one
    malfunction in the wrong circumstance to get you seriously hurt or
    killed. I cc my Glock, it's basically stock and I use top quality ammo
    when carrying and I need to count on it to function right if I ever
    need it in the wrong circumstance.
    It's frustrating to have a re-occurring problem with a firearm ftf.
    You've received some good advice here already and I'm sure the
    folk's at Glock will do everything in their power to find out whats
    wrong. I've been to Smyrna and they are very nice and customer
    oriented and will take care of you.
    Good luck, I hope you get it worked out soon.

19. English

English

I think that is a sound strategy of value for money.

English

20. docj78

docj78

I'll likely contact Glock tomorrow and see what they say. It's just extremely agitating that best case scenario will be a send in--which may not actually "fix" the unknown "problem"(assuming there is one to find/fix).

This will of course leave me without the gun for...how long???
    Again, once i get it back, there may still be issues. This song and dance has played out with other GT members ad nauseum.