When should you trade in your old phone and uprgrade?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IvanVic, Jan 24, 2020.

1. faceplant

faceplant

When it no longer works for you or security upgrades are unavailable if you need those.

Bow Commander likes this.
  2. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

They make gloves that are usable with your phone. Or you could just do this:

[​IMG]

PBCounty and Bow Commander like this.

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

since I depend on my phone as much or more than my laptop, I upgrade at every iPhone release (but not the "s" versions unless there is a big advantage). I often find that the "small" improvements usually end up being the biggest improvements. For example, the Face ID is much more reliable than the old Touch ID you have on the 8. And the wireless changing was a big plus for me when the 8 had that new feature.

4. Sfaql

Sfaql

I’ve heard that my 5s will stop working by the end or the year ? No ,more updates or something , anyways I’m updating to our youngest daughters 7 soon as she just bought a new one .

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

I forgot to mention that I was very unsure about purchasing a phone without a home button. That is what I was use to. It was a non-issue. I had forgotten about that button 10 minutes after I started using the XR. My wife and I prefer no home button after using our XR. I would assume that you could swipe close anything on a phone with or without gloves on but I don't know that for sure. I would test one out at the store.

6. IvanVic

IvanVic

There aren't any full-fingered gloves that work with a home button. There are touch-enabled gloves that work on the screen, but not the home button. The screen and home button use two different technologies.

You'd have to buy finger-less gloves.

7. IvanVic

IvanVic

Same here, but this was before I realized that face ID works much better in the winter.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

On one hand, I never wear gloves (no pun intended) but on the other hand I also never carry a giant tablet that I pretend is a phone and I won't carry a phone without a headphone jack. I have an iPhone SE and I'll keep it until they make a smaller one.

bigchuck83 likes this.
  9. R_P_K_

R_P_K_

I'm still concerned about the radiation levels of 5g. It's coming even if it kills us, already spent a fortune on advertising

Atomic Punk likes this.
  10. DannyB

DannyB

I don't have to have the newest. I run them till they croak. I'm using an IPhone 6 now and have an SE as a backup in the safe.

I don't believe in leases. Just like I don't lease vehicles. Since the carriers push that the hardest it must be the best for them vs. me.

When my phones have crashed I have bought a brand new, never activated, next to the latest phone from the "Bay" from a high volume seller with good satisfaction ratings. This seems to have been the most cost effective system for me.

11. IvanVic

IvanVic

I'm not a fan of the wireless ear buds - they seem too easy to misplace. Our cats would probably steal them. Having said that, the lack of ports makes the new iphones entirely waterproof. You can swim underwater with them or stick your hand underwater - a neat feature for people capturing video/photos in the wilderness or while swimming. It's also great protection against dropping it in water accidentally.

You can still use wired headphones on the new phones by plugging them into the charging port.

12. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

It depends on what you use your phone for. I only use my phone for two things: To make calls, and to receive calls, and I've had the same flip-phone for seven years now and I expect it will last a few years longer.

Jan R Whitaker, skyfall and IvanVic like this.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Same for my iPhone SE in the LifeProof case and while I can use Bluetooth earbuds, I can also plug in earbuds to the jack, while remaining waterproof.

14. illrooster132

illrooster132

like you mentioned. the phone will only devalue. sell while you can still get some pennies for it. otherwise keep it as an mp3 player.
    I have a bunch of used phones that I use as mp3 players. iPhone and androids. about 6 that I know of . I might have more.
    by the way I'm always looking to buy more some I can send to family outside the country.

15. skyfall

skyfall

I also only have a flip phone.I make and receive calls,have voice mail and I only make 8-10 calls a month. Besides robo-calls,my phone rarely rings.Living in the 19th century is fun!

16. illrooster132

illrooster132

I wait 3 phone models before I get new ones. my last were the 7 I got 2 XR now. will do the 11 pro next year. just for the cameras.

17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I get a new phone when the current one will no longer function.
    This is about my third one since about 2003.

IMG_3585.JPG

I wouldn't have this phone except a Friend insisted I carry a phone, saying,
    "You could roll the tractor over on yourself in the woods, and might not be missed for days."

The funny thing was, after I got the phone, I did almost roll the tractor, and I found out afterwards, that I had no phone coverage in that area.
    I switched to AT&T.

G17Jake and Jan R Whitaker like this.
  18. nursetim

nursetim

Check the difference between what the carrier store will give you on trade and what apple will. Apple offered significantly more than AT&T did.

jimcorbin likes this.
  19. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

Never got into the phone craze. if I can call, text and get pictures I am all good. Flip phone works good for me.

nursetim likes this.
  20. illrooster132

illrooster132

get back to me with the offers they give you I might be interested .