When should you trade in your old phone and uprgrade?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IvanVic, Jan 24, 2020.

1. IvanVic

IvanVic

Sorry for the long background...After moving out of Florida, I realized that I can't fully use my iphone 8 plus while wearing gloves, a problem that never occurred to me living in south FL. Essentially, even with touch-enabled gloves, you can't use the home button because activating the home button requires contact with skin.

One partial workaround is to swipe right while the phone is locked, and click a recently used app from the menu that pops up. This enables you to use the keypad to unlock the phone instead of the fingerprint, and touch-enabled gloves work on the keypad. However, once you're in the phone, there's still no way to navigate back to the home screen if you're wearing gloves. As someone who is outdoors a lot, this has become a problem in the winter, obviously, and a big problem in the back-country when I check my GPS app frequently. I do a lot of winter backpacking trips and this becomes very annoying in sub-freezing temps.

My phone is in excellent condition and currently worth about $300 on eBay. I've never been a fan of upgrading to a new phone simply for the sake of having the newest gadget (hence why I still have the 8 plus), but there are material advantages here:
    • iphone 11 pro has legit battery performance, about 5 hours more battery than my 8 plus
    • 11 pro has a truly great camera (I take a lot of video/photos on my backpacking trips, would be nice to have something to work alongside my Canon m50)
    • I can actually use the phone in cold weather while wearing gloves
    I can afford a new phone, but being somewhat frugal I'm hesitant to spend the money. Then I got to thinking, could I be at a disadvantage by waiting till a time when 8 plus might only be worth $100 or less on the used market? In other words, if I'm going to upgrade in say the next 18 months - two years, it could theoretically make more financial sense to do it now because my phone is worth ~$200 more than it will be in the future. Based on historical pricing, it's unlikely that the price of the iphone 11 pro will drop by $200 in the next 24 months.

When do you upgrade?

2. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Wife and I traded ours in this year because hers was dying. We both had the iPhone 6, moved to the 11.

If you are a "drive it 'till the wheels fall off' guy, then just wait until it has problems you can no longer deal with.

If you are the type that wants something near-current, there is probably a sweet spot where it makes the most sense to trade. We traded in the wife's phone and got $60 (it wasn't working right). We kept mine because it was working okay, though the battery was going out.

Every three years is probably the sweet spot, but I don't know how you would calculate that. Or more accurately I can't be bothered to. :miff:

IvanVic likes this.

3. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Usually when the battery dies out.
    I have a Moto G plus. About four years old and still working fine, though the battery life is starting to lose charge after 10 hours.

I don't use it that much since I have a company issued phone as well. But, the Moto is always turned on also. I am not sure if that makes a difference. I am not really into phones geekery. :)

4. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Are you trying to talk yourself out of a new phone ?

Sounds like you like options on the newer model. Acquiring the new phone wont screw you up financially.
    Go for it.

My galaxy s7 still works well. Havnt found amy compelling options on the newer models to make me care enough.

Have had issues using it a few times outside when it's cold enough my bare fingers dont register well.
    Honestly, that just means i dont need to spend much time on my phone then.

Luck with your future phone :)

5. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

My wife doesn’t use her phone much, mainly she just makes a few calls. When her phone is no longer supported by Apple updates, I get myself a new phone and cascade my old phone to her.

IvanVic likes this.
  6. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

I would never look at upgrading as an investment. I've owned every other year of iphone series. Back when the new phone prices were subsidized with renewing a 2 year contract, it made more sense to upgrade. I'd sell my old phone for about $200 and get the newest one for $300. Not the case anymore. The 8 plus isn't a dinosaur yet, I'd say keep it as long as you don't hate its performance. Unless you're a techie, I doubt you'd find the newest phone to be revolutionary comparatively. Sounds like you're already on the fence. Spend or save the money elsewhere. My XR is such a damn good phone I don't think I'll be upgrading for a few more years.

TBO likes this.
  7. jmohme

jmohme

I recently got an Apple watch and tossed my iphone SE in the nightstand drawer

8. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

5s still works fine for me, but I'm not a very sophisticated phone user.

snowbird.40, Cubdriver, Sfaql and 3 others like this.
  9. TxGator33

TxGator33

Yeah I usually wait til apple starts screwing me by slowing down the older models. I'm on the 7 now and I can already see the writing on the wall. This coming from someone who kept the original iphone for 3 years and the iphone 4s for another 4

IvanVic likes this.
  10. PBCounty

PBCounty

I'm not a "phone guy", as in I know nothing about what's out, what's coming out, what the features mean or do, etc. So, I get a new phone when mine doesn't work anymore. Currently at three years on current one....battery life kind of winding down.

11. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Just switched from the iPhone 8 to the iPhone 11. We get free upgrades every two years. So that's why we switched. The 11 is pretty nice so I'd say do the switch if you can, with no added expense.

IvanVic likes this.
  12. treg

treg

You could invest in some removable gloves...

13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Wow, fancy. Got a link?

Dr. Bill likes this.
  14. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

I have an iPhone 7+. I replaced the battery once ($60) and the new battery has lasted longer than the original.
    This phone does everything I want and has tons of memory.

So, I’m not upgrading until 5G is in the phone. The new cameras are a big draw but changing now will require another upgrade relatively soon. I’m holding off for a while. I’ve heard 5G iPhone will be in September but I’ll wait at least until the bugs are worked out.

15. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

You can buy an unlocked iPhone 11 from Apple as cheap as you can from your carrier and pay it out if need be. Then you don't have to be under contract to a carrier.

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

My wife and I traded our 5S about a year ago. We had those phones for almost 4 years. I am not one of those than needs (or wants) the latest phone. If it does what I want it to, I'm fine. My wife's 5S was having problems with battery life. My was fine but I decided to upgrade anyway.

We bought the iphone XR. We are happy with them (although I still cry when I think about paying $750 for each of them). The only gripe I have is the size of the phone. I think it is too big but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I thought my 5S was the perfect size. I don't use most of the technology contained in the phone. All I care about is making calls and I do use the texting function and the GPS function is nice to have.

We won't be upgrading again anytime soon.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    snowbird.40 and IvanVic like this.
  17. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

6 years ago I got my first smart phone.... it was the cheapest Samsung they had. Still does everything I need it to do (including this post). I dread the day when I have to replace it.
    :oops:

Dr. Bill likes this.
  18. IvanVic

IvanVic

Ha, maybe. It's hard to justify these days, phones have become very pricey.

Not as an investment at all, but instead figuring out when it makes the most sense to upgrade.

Haha, yes I have lots of those. Try telling me that when you're doing off-trail hiking in 19-degree weather and you have to constantly check your GPS to make sure you're staying on the track you took in the day before. After removing your gloves the first 15 times in subfreezing temps, you're going to wish you had a phone that was usable with gloves.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  19. IvanVic

IvanVic

From what I've read, it could be a mistake to buy the first 5G phone from Apple because the first 5G phone from any manufacturer will have a ton of bugs. I have no idea how true this is, but something to consider. This means waiting until late 2021 for Apple's second gen phone with 5G.

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I got Applecare on the ones for me and my wife. Somehow on mine I wound up with a program to upgrade every year. I probably won't use it but it came free with the Applecare.

Not sure why it was different on hers - I think because we traded her old phone in.

jimcorbin likes this.