When responding to someone we disagree with...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RussP, Apr 8, 2019.

1. DrewBone

DrewBone

I can see my responses often being considered argumentative to some, but that's not my intention; I like to instill thought in others, which often has a way of leading to a person's edification. Unfortunately for some, they just don't like or understand the nature of being corrected or questioned, you know, like those who consider themselves beyond reproach by virtue of their "collections" of high $$ top tier whatever...and sarcasm? Geez, you'd think that someone had insulted their Mother. Undoubtedly it's the sarcasm that I often use in my wording that ruffles feathers and twists panties all up into bunches here, which is kind of funny to watch as friends of the OP or whoever all rush to their defense with commentary like, "Didn't your Mother tell you that if you didn't have anything nice to say, that you shouldn't say anything at all?" - or my favorite, "Don't listen to the haters...so you used a chainsaw to wittle down the finger grooves and a used waffle iron you got at Goodwill for $5 to do the stippling on your Glock...it looks great!!!"

<cough> Really? Are there that many people here on Glocktalk who need glasses? Some of the stuff I've seen here has caused me great concern, yet I'm gladened at the same time when said individual lives out on the west coast, far far from me, LOL.

In the end, some things just need to be said, and if folks feel strongly enough about posting images of their work or builds, or their opinion, or whatever in a public discussion forum, then they should have the stones to accept criticism as well as praise without running off in a tantrum like a little spoiled child when someone posts a negative. Life is a neverending series of choices, and hopefully we learn from and use those choices to positively affect our lives, forming our experiences, which we can then unselfishly share with others so the cycle of education can continue.

:0)

NMG26 and hardluk1 like this.
  2. Will-21

Will-21 You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!

The worst for me is someone who responds with something like "Bad Post" when their opinion is different.

3. dakota1911

dakota1911

I love some antigun folk I have talked with. Ask them if they have ever shot a gun and the answer is no. Ask them if they have ever held a gun and the answer is no. One lady yelled at me after those questions saying, "Well I don't have to had plague to be against plague!!!"

Years ago I think there was an article, I think in "The American Rifleman" that said a lot of people have a phobia against guns like others have a phobia against spiders, snakes, enclosed places, or heights. Phobias are hard to debate against.

4. fx77

fx77 CLM

The fact is that most people are morons whether they agree with me or not! :)

jmohme and NMG26 like this.
  5. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    From Wikipedia:
    Hoplophobia is word which means "an irrational fear of weapons". It was originally coined as a political neologism by retired American military officer Jeff Cooper as a pejorative to describe gun control advocates. It is also used to describe the "fear of firearms" or the "fear of armed citizens."

Hoplophobia is now recognized as a phobia in some medical sources as a fear of weapons or firearms.

6. Ricochet57

Ricochet57

Most of us can access the quality of the counter argument. Politics/ religion, dangerous grounds my friends. When it comes to what this forum is about, I value the questions and answers most give me. If my experience is counter to the argument presented to me, I thank the giver and move on, it costs me nothing. If someone wants to berate me for my opinion, I don't continue with it, unless it's politics or religion and it's with someone I have a relationship with. Here, I want to pick brains, and possibly get answers to things I don't know. I agree with some, the US is too toxic right now. I hope that changes with our president's 2nd term. So much more can be accomplished if we can work together instead of draw sides and sabres.

7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Too late.

8. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

9. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

I like to start by punching him in the mouth.

;)