When it goes to the Senate...

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Quijibo, Dec 13, 2019.

1. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I don't think that Reid did not run for office again after his smear of Romney. And that was politics. What Schiff did was a legal matter. He engineered evidence against Trump that may be false. It think we need to know if it is or not.

If you don't want to Schiff and the whistle blower, why do you want to go after Comey, Brennan, Paige, etc...? They all did the same thing.

P99er likes this.
  2. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

So here is my take on the problem with a full hearing; First the Repubs will want to call both Bidens etc who will either defy Congress or ignore the subpoenas...that will send it to the courts and delay, delay , delay...the Iowa Caucus is in Feb..the Dems have timed this perfectly to set a trap for the Repubs...if the Repubs go for blood, this entire mess will be dragged out and (hopefully) for the Dems affect the vote well into 2020...IF the repubs refuse to go for blood...they risk alienating many of their "base" who want Everyone called to testify, and in essence the Dems will have yet again, rubbed our collective noses in the dirt...we have a real dilemma here...

R_P_K_, paynter2 and Jade Falcon like this.

3. P99er

P99er GT Ombudsman

With idiot republicans calling for a quick end, a death on arrival, the House has nothing to lose. If McConnell started saying that the process will go forward, the president will have lawyers representing him, witnesses will be called, evidence considered etc., then the democrats are less likely to vote to impeach. Democrats want the illusion of the president having done something, and if the republicans do their job in the Senate, they'll destroy that illusion. UNLESS, there really is something to the charges.

R_P_K_ and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. xTerpx

xTerpx

Romney's presser will take more than 30 minutes...

5. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Well, you make good points. But if the Senate just votes impeachment down without a trial the Dims will say that their articles of impeachment were valid and Republicans had no rebuttal for them.

I say grill Schiff under oath. If he pleads the 5th or as (Lois Lerner did) says he can't remember - he will be outed as the liar his is. Same with the whistle blower - he will be outed as well. Depending on who it is (or who they are) it may be problematic for them. But for Republican Senators to just punt shows. I think) weakness.

R_P_K_ likes this.
  6. P99er

P99er GT Ombudsman

Forget the Bidens. This isn't about them. It's about a case the democrats built against the president, by silencing the republicans. Senate republicans can destroy the case based on it's lack of merit with the process. If they shut down the process by procedural vote, it makes it look like they are hiding something. Don't forget who the MSM will be supporting. All we'll be hearing is "what were the republicans afraid of".

I've never really considered McConnell to be an ally of DJT. I still consider Graham to be a never Trumper who has moderated some positions since his good buddy died, but still cannot be trusted to support the president. Just because they think a quick procedural vote is the way to go, doesn't mean it won't still allow a tarnish on this presidency. Trump will always be labeled as a president who was impeached. History should reflect why the Senate acquitted him, and that should be for all to see, and not done in the dark of night. IMO, McConnell and Graham aren't too concerned with vindicating the president, or preserving his legacy.

If they shut it down with a procedural vote, it will cause people like me to wonder if there is something there the republicans are afraid of. It will be like a conspiracy theory. Forevermore, it will be said that the republicans protected DJT.

This is not the time to be lazy and just want it to end. Take the case the democrats put forward. Destroy it for all the world to see, then let vulnerable democrats in the Senate go on the record.

And him running around saying that Trump was protected because he was guilty won't help matters.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

As you say, there are no GOP firebrands in the senate, and what's worse there are some two-faced bastards who can't be trusted, and some like Mitt Romney would like to see Trump impeached or at least severely damaged so that a Democrat could be elected. And Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell are already indicating that they're going to wimp out on holding the corrupt Dems feet to the fire.

I have nothing but contempt for those two back stabbing RINO's. Both of them occasionally do something good and Graham talks a good fight, but when push comes to shove neither of them can be trusted.

8. nursetim

nursetim

This makes it look like they are running interference for the president. Not what I would want the naysayers to see. They should go through the motion of a trial and use the judicial standards for evidence to highlight the incompetence it was prosecuted with before getting to the senate.

I’m beyond hoping for skeletons being dragged from the closets and revelations shaking the foundations.

9. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Get this political sham over with for God’s sake.

From the Washington Post:

January 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM EST

The effort to impeach President Donald John Trump is already underway.

At the moment the new commander in chief was sworn in, a campaign to build public support for his impeachment went live at ImpeachDonaldTrumpNow.org, spearheaded by two liberal advocacy groups aiming to lay the groundwork for his eventual ejection from the White House.

10. nursetim

nursetim

I don’t agree. The best way to discredit the communists is expose them for the liars they are in televised testimony.
    Walking and and hold a vote to acquit just continues the kangaroo court theme (the kabuki theater of justice). Plus it has the added “benefit” of appearing like the senate is running interference for the president, that he does not need. Also it gives the appearance of guilt, but swept under the carpet as political shenanigans.

11. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

And that, friend, will be playing right into the leftists’ hands.

12. drumgod

drumgod

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Graham. Let the house present their case then vote. The dems are going to raise hell no matter how it's handled so smack them down hard and fast but by the book. The trials are doing nothing but wasting time and money. Everyone has all the "evidence" they need and it doesn't matter who you call to testify because peoples minds are already made up. Kill it fast then move on and let Barr and Durham do their thing. IMO, that's where the "counter attack" should come from.

army_eod and Dreamaster like this.
  13. PatinAz

PatinAz

Party lines are going to party line. Senate has the majority. I do not believe for one second either party will budge either way (think voter base) regardless of what might come out in a trial. Hell, you don't have to look past the Kavanaugh hearings to see that. Kabuki theater.

Honestly, I'd respect the Repubs more if they slapped this down in the beginning rather then drag it out for some "gotcha!" moments that would end up with absolutely no repercussions.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Jade Falcon likes this.
  14. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

McConnell is 78. He has to at least be thinking about retiring. Wonder if he wants to go out quietly or with a bang? How he handles this will be his *legacy*.

. . . I think he will probably hang around until the end of Trump’s second term.

15. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

... and that means two more Supreme Court justices and a bunch of federal judges. :elephant:

Jade Falcon and mmcbeat like this.
  16. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Regardless of how the GOP plays it, the leftists will spin it in their favor. I don't think anything will come of the GOP trying to demonstrate the Dems are dirty. The GOP should just get this over with and attempt to govern.

NMG26 likes this.
  17. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

That's a bit tougher. All I can offer (because I'm biased...) is senator John Kennedy from my state of Louisiana. He's folksy but he uses his "aw, shucks" style as a weapon. That's all I can come up with. :frown:

18. APERS

APERS

Good point. I have to wonder what the next goat f--k will be though. Over due library book from 1973 maybe..? As sick of it as I am, maybe this whole fabricated tire fire should drag out long as possible to election 2020. Even the most mindless democrat drone, should be waking up to how corrupt the DNC is, at some point at least..?

19. army_eod

army_eod US Army Retired, EOD, PM, PMP

The Dems are already exposed. We all know this is a traitorous bunch. Deal with them later.

20. army_eod

army_eod US Army Retired, EOD, PM, PMP

I am the base. I want it over asap. We can prosecute the traitors later.