close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When is SP2 supposed to happen?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Grabbrass, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I'm planning to reformat and reinstall XP on my OS partition when SP2 is (officially)released. Anybody know when this is coming?

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

I am already running the Beta. Runs fine on my machine. has a very effective popup blocker.

3. berniew

berniew Liberty

IIRC end of Aug

4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff The baddest

5. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

That's cool. I hope they make it available as a stand-alone download though, like they did with SP1. Like I mentioned, I'm planning to wipe my OS partition and reinstall XP fresh. If I then patch my XP Home with SP2, will it be "up to date" at that point, or would I also need all the updates that have come out over the past 3 years?

6. berniew

berniew Liberty

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/windows/story/0,10801,95101,00.html

AUGUST 06, 2004 (COMPUTERWORLD) - Microsoft Corp. today announced the release to manufacturing of the security-focused Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

The company said the easiest way for users to get SP2 is to turn on the Automatic Update feature in Windows XP. Microsoft will start pushing out SP2 within days, according to Matt Pilla, a senior product manager in the Windows division. Corporate users, however, typically do extensive testing before distributing service packs to users.

At about 265MB, the full SP2 package is no small download. But Microsoft, in a prepared statement, said it expects the average file size to be much smaller because of the "smart download" technology that installs only what the user needs. That means users who already have SP1 and have regularly updated their computers with patches shouldn't need to worry about the full 265MB.

The average download for Windows XP Professional is expected to be about 100MB, according to Microsoft. The average download for customers with Windows XP Home Edition is estimated at 80MB. Customers who need SP1 can expect the download to be 20MB larger, Microsoft said.