When is a Accidental Discharge most probable?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kona, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Kona

Kona

I have been reading about AD and the stories behind them. But I am still new enough to pistols that I dont really know when a AD is most probable. Is it when you have the slide come forward on a round thats getting chambered? Is it when if a pistol gets dropped? Is it when people reholster their weapon? Im sorry if this is a confusing question. But I just want to know when ADs happen the most frequently...

I practice with snapcaps more often than I should and have no problems chambering them but when I go to chamber a real round, I am always thinking to myself, "will this go bang when I chamber it?" so I always let the slide go forward slowly on a real round.

2. den888

den888

When people are not paying full attention to their surroundings.

3. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

NO! It is when someone is screwing around with it. Loading and unloading in the house, "dry" firing at the tv, doing dry practice but not being in a area devoid of ALL ammo, showing off, ETC....

4. Nords

Nords

When your finger is near the trigger.

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

When the gun is empty.

6. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

No such thing as an A/D...only N/D....( negligent discharge)

Complacency

THAT is when an N/D will be most likely to happen...when anyone, old or new to the shooting world, have a problem, complacency sets in....and the rest is a given.

I am OuT.......:cool:

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Any situation preceded by the words "Y'all watch this" or "Hold my beer"

8. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Amen!

9. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

I would say a "ND" is most probable for me when I am re-holstering the G23 into my MTAC while sitting in the car. I don't want to get outside to do it, and I can't carry it into "liquor establishments" (aka most places when we eat out). Hopefully Ohio changes that soon.

10. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

I was waiting when the dufus beside me at Caswells dropped his gun....and tried to catch it! All I could do was suck in a ton of air and hope that the dumbass didn't engage the trigger. He didn't. I love public ranges!

11. Rashid.4v

Rashid.4v

Sorry, but when talking about sex it might be called accidental discharge, but when refering to weapons... That's called a negligent discharge.
    This usually occurs when complacency sets in or the individual loses his situational awareness.

12. Price

Price

In a gun that is functioning properly the gun will not fire when dropped or when a round is chambered. The term accidental discharge is a commonly used term for a person accidentally pulling the trigger, many people refer to this as a negligent discharge as this occurs due to unsafe and incorrect gun safety practices. As far as chambering a round slowly this is unneccessary and can result in malfunction commonly as the slide may not go all the way forward. You should allow the slide to move forward at full speed by releasing the slide stop lever, however you should always do this and anything else with the gun pointed in a safe direction. This is to ensure that if there is an error by the gun or more likely by the operator that a round fired would not result in injury or death to the operator or a bystander. As you spend more time handling fireams you will grow more comfortable with them and the idea of releasing the slide at normal speed will not bother you. The best thing you can do as a new gun owner is to ensure your and all others safety by taking a class taught by a licensed instructor. This will teach all the safe gun practices you will need and you can then make them full time habits. Be responsible and be safe.

13. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I hate this line of thinking. Accidental discharge is a completely appropriate name. Accidental means the discharge was not intended. Negligent discharge is appropriate as well; I just can't stand it when people say there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. It's along the same lines as people who say there's no such thing as a car accident, and insist on calling them collisions. Again, the cars didn't collide on purpose so it was an accident.

14. sputnik767

sputnik767

There are accidental discharges, but in my opinion, they happen when the shooter did not squeeze the trigger. Two examples: one time, my Makarov went full-auto on the last 2 rounds in the mag, w/o me actually firing the second shot. Another time, my friend was shooting a full-auto Uzi clone, that was not very well maintained by the range that rented it. It jammed, but in such a way that the bolt was not locked back. He handed it to me to look at it (always pointed downrange), and when I did, I bumped the buttstock against his shoulder, and the gun discharged. My finger was nowhere near the trigger. All the times you hear of SKS rifles firing upon chambering are also accidental, caused my a stuck firing pin. But of course, if you always point your rifle downrange, at worst, you will have an unintentional discharge.

15. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

I will concede to those scenarios, thanks.....there are A/D 's, very rare, though, right ?

N/D 's happen all too frequently...

I am OuT....:cool:

16. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

When is a Accidental Discharge most probable?

While being intimate with a Playboy Bunny.

17. silentpoet

silentpoet

When you are the only one in the room professional enough...

18. sputnik767

sputnik767

Yep, very rare, and usually caused by poor maintenance, broken guns, or bubba gunsmithing I think. Unfortunately, NDs are too common. I don't know why my Makarov decided to go full auto, since I always clean the firing pin channel and make sure the pin floats freely before I chamber a round. Maybe the round had it's primer installed incorrectly, and it stuck out more?

19. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

You should not let the slide go forward slowly when chambering. There is the chance that it will not go fully into battery. If the slide is not in battery, the firearm will not fire. If you are wondering if it will go bang - see my answer below.

I added the numbers.

#1 - This is not true. There ARE ADs. A finger does NOT HAVE to be on the trigger to cause a discharge. There ARE slam-fires and firearms CAN fire when dropped. Both of these instances are very rare with modern firearms - although you might be surprised that there are several "modern" firearms that do not have drop safeties. I know of at least two instances where an unmodified Glock has slam-fired. If a firearm has been modified (particularly by a self-taught kitchen table "gunsmith" - see also, dremel tool and .25 trigger job) the chances of drop-fires and slam fires increases. (Is this a AD or ND then ?). Firearm safeties are mechanical devices, and as such, can and do, fail to operate properly sometimes.

#2 - ND's occur because of ignorance and/or carelessness. I agree that complacency can breed carelessness. Anecdotally, NDs happen far more frequently than ADs.

====================================================

Because of #1 & #2 - You should always follow the 1st rule of gun safety:

Rule #1 - Always keep the muzzle of the firearm pointed in a safe direction.

If this rule is followed, if an ND or AD occurs - there will not be a hole in anything important.

Specific tasks where NDs are likely to occur:

1. Unloading (operating slide before removing magazine, or not operating slide at all).

2. Reloading - Inserting magazine / dropping slide with finger on trigger.

3. Re-holstering - Finger, or other object, presses trigger when holstering.

4. Dry Firing - Without proper chamber check.

5. Preparation For Cleaning - Without proper chamber check

6. If you are a DEA agent giving a speech on firearm safety and how professional your are....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  20. CAcop

CAcop

I agree.

When two cars collide in the street it is called an accident. It is an unintended act or omission that results in property damage or injury. Somebody drove too fast, violated right of way, followed to closely, etc.

ADs happen on reholstering, dry firing, improper loading or unloading, horseplay, etc.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+accident&rlz=1I7DLUS_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7

Definitions of accident on the Web:

an unfortunate mishap; especially one causing damage or injury
    anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause; "winning the lottery was a happy accident"; "the pregnancy was a stroke of bad luck"; "it was due to an accident or fortuity"
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A traffic collision (motor vehicle collision, motor vehicle accident, or car crash) is when a road vehicle collides with another vehicle ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident_(traffic)

An accident is a specific, identifiable, unexpected, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, without ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident

Literally, a befalling; an event that takes place without one's foresight or expectation; an undesigned, sudden, and unexpected event; often, an undesigned and unforeseen occurrence of an afflictive or unfortunate character; A property attached to a word, but not essential to it, as gender ...
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/accident

Unexpected or chance event. This term is frequently defined in older commercial general liability (CGL) policies.
    www.nonprofitrisk.org/library/glossary.shtml

I would be willing to bet the ones thumping their chests about them being NDs and not ADs are the ones most likely to have them and least likely to admit them.