Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 20 years ago, I HAD to have these. I have a rollerball and a ballpoint. I wouldn't buy the fountain pen at the time b/c it was $100. I think I paid $70-80 ea for them.

On another board, some guy was selling one and said retail was $325-370. I didn't believe him.

Turns out he's right.

Holy FLEEP! I think I overpaid vs. quality at $80. I was young and foolish. I might have to sell my "vintage" pens now. :)

That's over 7% compounded interest since I got mine. Wow!

Funny is my ballpoint sits in my briefcase as a "spare" pen. That sucker gets more beat-on than I care to imagine for a $300 item.

·
Prime Example
4,913 Posts
Holy smokes, I just looked and you're both right. Yeah, I got one around 2000 as a prize from work. They were about $100 then.

Maybe the price of gold for the plating? No idea. That's crazy.

·
God rules all!
6,209 Posts
Montblanc pens have been the ne plus ultra for a long time, but they do sell more than one model.

Top of the line models have been very expensive for decades.

8,219 Posts
I paid $200(and $12 for the converter) for my last one and my next one will be $800. I don't like the high price but its worth it.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
My dad has one of the nice fountain pens. He only used it occasionally even when he worked, but now that he is retired it just sits in the origonal box. I know it's in like new condition too. Amazon shows that one is going for $450- $500 right now. I think it's time to ask him if I can have it. He never much cared for it so I know he'll give it to me if he thinks I can make some money off it.

Sweet.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I cant keep on to a pen for more than a week.... $800 is too steep for me

·
God rules all!
6,209 Posts
Remember cartidge ink pens? I used to buy a couple of Sheaffer cartridge pens each year for school. You know, the ones with the colored, transparent, plastic barrels. I think they used to be a dollar for two or something.

Nowadays, I don't think they even sell the things anymore.

·
Loser
1,732 Posts
I paid $200(and $12 for the converter) for my last one and my next one will be $800. I don't like the high price but its worth it.
How the purple heck is $800 for a danged pen worth it?????

·
Searching
9,188 Posts

·
TheBlazer
607 Posts
I believe that the rising price of gold has a lot to do with the increases. I remember buying an MB Diplomat 149 in the late 1980's and it was around $150.00. And that was at the very prestigious Fahrney's (sp?) "writing instrument" store in Washington, D.C.

Also, I remember buying a MB rollerball pen as a gift for an ex-gf at Office Depot in (I think) 1999. It was about $70.00.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
If memory serves, my Meisterstuck ballpoint was about $120 in the late 90's. I had that pen for over 10 years before it was stolen (bag was stolen out of my car).

I discovered Pelikan a few years ago and really prefer their pens now.

I used to feel the same way about "I lose pens all the time" (which also applied to sunglasses)... once I received a MB as a gift, I carried it daily until the day it was stolen.

You tend to take care of nice stuff a bit better. ;)

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And don't drop em. I've heard of deadly shattering Montblancs. No guarantee against that. EEEK! (But they will re-pack a fountain pen if you put it in your pocket.)

·
Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
That is funny someone would spend so much for something that is so basic and irrevelent.

Its 2011, beyond signatures, how much pen writting do people do anyway. Its like spending $10,000 on a top of the line TV antenna :rofl:

·
NRA Patron Member
901 Posts
Remember cartidge ink pens? I used to buy a couple of Sheaffer cartridge pens each year for school. You know, the ones with the colored, transparent, plastic barrels. I think they used to be a dollar for two or something.

Nowadays, I don't think they even sell the things anymore.
I remember those. I used them in school too. Those were the days.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts