Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I’m repeating here, but I’m not a real good tech guy and I’m not sure if the other one got posted. Hoping you knowledgeable people out there and Glock land can help me.

Does anyone know approximately when Glock changed from making the small +2 to the bigger current +2?

·
"Tactical Elf"
3,114 Posts
I believe Glock stopped making the original plus 2's, the one on the left back in the early 90's IIRC. Not sure exactly when the ones on the right started up though.

I still have a ton of older ones left. I prefer their profile over the new ones.

The newer ones secure on the magazine baseplates better. I personally have not had one of the older ones come loose, but I have seen one do it once.

I stopped using plus 2 extensions on my duty mags long ago. I do still have a few fro range use though.

TXPO

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May I trouble one of you to take a picture of the bottom of your older bigger +2 like the one on the right of my picture?
I’m looking to see if there’s been any changes recently. Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
20,284 Posts
Here you go:

Product Text Photography Technology Font

The old-style extensions were labeled "+2" because at the time they were first made, Glock only made 9mm pistols, and it added 2 rounds of capacity to the 9mm mags. Once the .40 pistols/mags came along, the old extension only added one round to the .40 mags. That's why the new extensions are just labeled "+" instead of "+2"; they add different amounts of ammo, depending on the caliber (only adds one round to .40 and .357 mags).

When the magazine baseplate style was changed with the redesign of NFML (non-fully-metal-lined) mags to FML mags, the attachment dovetail shape was also changed, so the two extensions are not interchangeable; older "+2" extensions will only work on older NFML mags, and the "+" extensions only work on FML mags.

I'm not sure exactly when they stopped making the old style extensions, as there still were (and are) many old mags out there being used even after the new style was introduced. I'm guessing the new extensions were not introduced until after the federal AWB sunsetted, although some Law Enforcement mags may have used them before that happened.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Old (+) baseplate Glock part #1967, no insert.
Glock part #7151 newer style (+) bottom with insert came out in the early 90's to go primarily with the "Baby Glocks", which originally had no checkering around the finger grooves.
This is why the don't match per say the Glock style grip checkering of gen 3-5.
The insert was added to keep the (+) bottoms on the magazine.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Glock part #7151 newer style (+) bottom with insert came out in the early 90's to go primarily with the "Baby Glocks"...
The very first G26 and G27 pistols were imported in July 1995.

Although officially rated by Glock as adding only ONE round to 357SIG and 40SW magazines, I find the "+" 7151/7165 extension very easily adds TWO rounds to 15-round magazines.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I first saw the newer style in 2000 in Smyrna when I was taking the armorer's course. I was under the impression that they had just hit the market about then.

Early photos of the 26 & 27 in the Glock Annuals had the old style extensions (+2).

Where is Butch when you need him? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My opinion is that the Glock +2 extension is not worth it on a G26. A Glock 19 15-round magazine is almost the same size and you get 3 extra round - 15 versus 10+2.

·
Super Moderator
20,284 Posts
The very first G26 and G27 pistols were imported in July 1995.

Although officially rated by Glock as adding only ONE round to 357SIG and 40SW magazines, I find the "+" 7151/7165 extension very easily adds TWO rounds to 15-round magazines.
That's interesting; I've never tried one on a longer .40 mag.
I add that to my "Try this someday" list.
Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.