close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When did brass to the head become such an issue?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 1-2man, Jun 11, 2012.

1. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I've got various different Gen 3 & 4 Glocks and all seem to, every so often, eject brass to my head. I just this past Saturday picked up a new, unfired, Gen 3 Glock 26 (test fire date of 8/2008) and even it threw a case or two to my head every so often (I only put 300 rounds through it on the first range trip.) I'm just wondering why is it such a hot topic now a days when it seems (to me anyways) to be such a common occurence regardless of the generation. I couldn't see sending all my Glocks in because they'll eject to the head every 40-50 rounds--or whenever. Are the "defective" Glocks doing it all the time????

2. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

My Gen 4 26 has 1700 flawless rounds through it with the 336 ejector.It throws a case backward about one in a 150 rounds.
    My Gen 4 17 has 2325 flawless rounds through it with the 336 ejector.It throws cases to the head about one in 100 rounds.
    It seems like they do it less lately.

My Gen 2.5 G21 has done it twice.
    I've never been knocked out or burned though.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

3. WickedGlock

WickedGlock

Ive owned a ton of pistols of many different makes. I think every single one has ejected a round towards the rear every so often. To me its just a part of shooting. I truly dont get why its such an issue here lately. To each hs own. Ive never thought of it as an issue once. Im no expert but in my experience its more related to the ammo.

4. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

Try a Desert Eagle in 50.

Not only annoying but occasionally painful.

5. Vince49

Vince49 Aeroscout

I agree with both of you in the first two posts. I have Gen.3 and 4. and have shot my brother's Gen 1s and 2s many times. Rounds ejected to the rear with any of them only seem to happen occasionally and we have always found it to be ammo related. Some brands, noticeably UMC and sometimes WWB seem to cause this more than others. Switching to a known decent round such as Lawman or American Eagle has always stopped the erratic ejection.

6. nraman

nraman

My first experience of brass in the face was years ago with a brand new Gen 1 G17 and weak 9mm ammo.

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Ever since the Cult of Glock deemed that Gaston is a God and his works should be PERFECT and worshiped.

They should never malfunction. EVER!

They should never scratch. Having holster wear is a blasphemy and needs to be refinished.

They should be detail stripped and cleaned every time they are touched. (Gregorian chanting is optional)

If every round is hitting you in the face then the ejector needs an adjustment but some guys freak out if ANY rounds ever come close to their head.

8. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

The only time, me and a bud rented one. I caught a case between the hat and shades. Burnt my eyebrow and lashes CLEAN OFF.

9. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

No gun I've ever owned has hit me anywhere, including the arms, with spent brass. It became an issue because almost every pistol manufacturer can make a gun that doesn't eject toward the shooter (with all types of ammo) except for the newer Glocks. Does that answer your question? If every car manufacturer except one could make cars that never leaked oil, would you buy the one make of car that did leak oil? It's an issue because pistols are not supposed to eject brass the face. Other gun manufacturers understand this.

10. Roger H

Roger H

the other day the wife caught a couple down her bra . all she said was hot hot hot. then when back to some hard down range action

11. 21o'glock

21o'glock

Look at it as a free training aid you received with your Glock. If you can stay on target for your follow up shots after having taken a stray brass case to the head or face, it helps to build your concentration. Ignore what is not important so you can focus on what is important. If your shooting left side of a barricade, you will have brass ricochet off the wall and usually come back at you. You practice for real world applications. If you jump back or stop to complain when you get hit with the brass, what do you think you will do in a real situation? Be happy you didn't pay extra for that training aide. My G21 Gen4 does it once in a while and so does my early 90's vintage Series 70 1911.
    21o'glock

12. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

I love it!

13. Bald Baron

Bald Baron Hermit

I've had many guns that send the occasional case to land on my head and never thought twice about it. When you get 1 out every 15 or 20 coming right at your eye you will definitely think twice about it. It will have become an "issue". Thankfully I found an extractor that resolved the problem in my G19.:wavey:

14. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

IMHO, it started when

NOPE! I won't finish the sentence.

Put it this way,

NOPE! Won't finish that one either.

LOL

15. ElrodCod

ElrodCod

Many of the early Gen 4 and late manufactured Gen 3 G19s & G17s were ejecting very erratticaly. An occasional brass to the head isn't a big deal but getting one to the face 3 or 4 times per magazine get old pretty quick. That's when it became a big deal.
    Like many of you I thought the problem was overblown. I own Gen 3 G26, G17 and G19 guns. All are good except for the 19.That one made me a believer.
    When Gaston decided he wanted to go into the gun business he asked the Austrian Army what requirements and specs that they wanted. Number 15 was that it shouldn't throw the brass back at the shooter.

16. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

No brass to the head from my Glocks
    -Generation 2 & 3
    -Run hot ammo

17. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

Well in my case with a g26 it started launching brass at my face. Totally unacceptable in a defensive firearm. I love my glocks but believe there is a defect.

None of my other guns: beretta, Springfield, sig do this.

Do they have to shoot brass into a neat little pile on the floor??? No. But shooting brass into your face is unacceptable.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Most any gun can have a sporadic ejected case that can strike the shooter's head. However if it is happening multiple times each magazine and happens with different shootersthen there probably is an issue.

19. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I agree. Wear a ball cap and safety glasses and don't sweat it. :wavey:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  20. Glock19Cowner

Glock19Cowner

My gen 3 19 would throw about five per mag straight back at me. I tweaked the ejector and now with wwb it only throws 1 or 2 every couple hundred back. It's an easy fix for most they just have to take the time and stop posting how horrible it is and fix it.