Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my wife a new PM9 last week from Bud's. It was INCREDIBLY tight when I got it. The slide would hang up when manually racking between lock back and battery, and actually keep the slide from going forward. Slide release was near impossible. I broke it down and cleaned it, polished the feed ramp, detail stripped the slide, lubed, etc. Last Thursday I shot 200 WWB FMJ and 50 Remington JHP. I had 1 fail to feed at about round 170 with a FMJ. It was a nose down under the ramp failure. Brought it home and cleaned and lubed it. I shot 150 more Remingtons and 100 more WWB yesterday. I got to my very last mag, feeling damn good about the trip, and had a fail to feed at round 245. This one with a JHP and was just nose into the ramp. A tap to the back of the slide put in into battery. First failure was with the 7 rd mag, 2nd was with a 6 rd mag. So now the gun has loosened up perfectly and I cleaned and lubed it again tonight. I am going to get several hundred more WWB and get some carry ammo for her. SO - the question is, when can I trust it with 2 fail to feeds in the first 500 rounds? I would have chalked the first one up to break in, had the second one not happened at all....

It is not as if it is doing it a lot or early in the shooting sessions. I think it is very likely I could put 100 defense rounds though it and not have a problem since my failures were at rounds 170 and 245 on their respective days.

My thought is for her and I to go shoot maybe 100 WWB and a bunch of her carry ammo, and if she likes it, let her start carrying it. She will be carrying mostly ankle and Galco purse.

Thoughts???

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I bought my wife a new PM9 last week from Bud's. It was INCREDIBLY tight when I got it. The slide would hang up when manually racking between lock back and battery, and actually keep the slide from going forward. Slide release was near impossible. I broke it down and cleaned it, polished the feed ramp, detail stripped the slide, lubed, etc. Last Thursday I shot 200 WWB FMJ and 50 Remington JHP. I had 1 fail to feed at about round 170 with a FMJ. It was a nose down under the ramp failure. Brought it home and cleaned and lubed it. I shot 150 more Remingtons and 100 more WWB yesterday. I got to my very last mag, feeling damn good about the trip, and had a fail to feed at round 245. This one with a JHP and was just nose into the ramp. A tap to the back of the slide put in into battery. First failure was with the 7 rd mag, 2nd was with a 6 rd mag. So now the gun has loosened up perfectly and I cleaned and lubed it again tonight. I am going to get several hundred more WWB and get some carry ammo for her. SO - the question is, when can I trust it with 2 fail to feeds in the first 500 rounds? I would have chalked the first one up to break in, had the second one not happened at all....

It is not as if it is doing it a lot or early in the shooting sessions. I think it is very likely I could put 100 defense rounds though it and not have a problem since my failures were at rounds 170 and 245 on their respective days.

My thought is for her and I go shoot maybe 100 WWB and a bunch of her carry ammo, and if she likes it, let her start carrying it. She will be carrying mostly ankle and Galco purse.

Thoughts???

Jeremy
Were either of the failures the first round in the mag?

Given when the failures occurred, I also wonder if they can be attributed to fatigue and limp wristing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I thought about limp wristing as well. I actually thought the first one was, especially since some have had trouble with the 7 rd mags. Both were mid mag. One was round 3 and the other was round 2

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would agree with BuckeyeBlast. Once it's thru break in and you get another 2-300 failure free rounds thru it it should be good to go. Make sure you test your carry ammo in it.

For some odd reason all my issues were with the 7 rd mag. I had failures in mine up until 320 rounds in. I finally made it thru a full 50 rnd box of FMJ without any failures and then put 150 failure free carry rounds thru it. I can now trust it as a carry piece.

Good luck
V

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am going to stop shooting it so long and see if that helps. Because like I said, had I just stopped at round 200 last time, I would be 100% confident in it now, but I had a failure at round 245, so now I wonder, was that me, the mag, the gun, the ammo or what?? So I think I may try to just go put 100 WWB through it. Then clean it and put 100 more through it with my wife. Clean it again, and then put about 50 Buffalo Bore rounds through it. We dont have her ankle rig or her carry purse yet, so it is not too bid a deal, yet...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had the nosedive failures with both 6 & 7 round magazines on my PM9. Also slide wasn't locking back after the last round. It's in the shop now. Not sure if i'll ever be able to trust it. We'll see after the next 200 rounds.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
As long as it digests your carry ammo you are golden.WWB is OK practice ammo but fairly inconsistent in load quality. I have had a few pop, pop, boom's and a pffft occasionally when shooting that stuff. My Kahr P9 loves the peppy Corbon 115's. And that is what I carry. From the folks I know who carry Kahrs this ammo is a consistent top choice for performance. My practice ammo is Montana Gold 115 cmj seated to 1.142" with 4.2 g of N320 over a CCI primer. I load that myself, I have run hundreds of rounds through it with 0 ftf or fte.
Maybe change up your practice ammo and see if that helps. If you haven't, run a box of Corbons thru it. It's a little pricey to practice with but a small price for peace of mind . Good luck and please follow up and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
like I said, had I just stopped at round 200 last time, I would be 100% confident in it now
No matter how many rounds you put through it, this is not an indication of how reliable it will be when your wife shoots it. She probably has smaller hands, different stance, and less upper body strength then you. You need to have her put 200 rounds through it, preferably including as much carry ammo as you can afford. Break it up into multiple range sessions if she shows signs of fatigue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing I know about my wife and hundguns. As long as the grip is not too big, if I can shoot it, she can shoot it!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife carries a PM9. During her first try shooting it, she would limp-wrist the gun and thought the PM9 was unreliable. After she learned to hold it tightly, the gun has been flawless. Now she bets her life on it.

·
NRA Member
554 Posts
No pistol, regardless of how many round ran through it is 100% reliable. Learn/teach to deal with failure when they happen, clear it and go on. Your wife needs to know and practice clearing failures, they will happen at the worst time, I guarantee it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I believe the grip is the culprit. No offense meant, but after a while everyone gets tired.
I carry a CW9 with the grip reduced to PM size and a PM9 daily.
Never had the problems you describe but don't shoot more than 100 at a clip. I figure if it's reliable with the amount you carry ( 3 mags for me) then your good to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No ofense taken at all. I generally think far too much is made of limp wristing, cause I see many do it with no issues, and have done it on purpose with my Glocks to avail. That said shooting 250 rounds and loading all those mags 6 and 7 rounds at a time can take it out of you. Also the grip is so small, I found it walking in my hand several times towards the end....

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
If any of my carry guns won't work when I 'limp wrist' them I won't carry them. I deliberately do it one handed, both strong hand and weak hand, as a test. Who says you're going to get perfect grip every time. Never had a problem attributable to limp wristing.

But how many times are you going to fire 200 hundred rounds without cleaning the pistol in a self defense situation? Granted I fire 200 rounds without cleaning on occasions as a test with no problems. Most times I quit at a hundred rounds and clean and lube the pistol.

My MK9 has quite a few over 3K rounds through it (I quit counting long ago). It's been 100% now for at all but the first few hundred rounds. And I use WWB hardball target ammo for practice. My PM9 is around 1K and only had a problem in the first 50 rounds or so, which I quickly fixed. My PM40 had many issues with the 6 round magazine until I fixed the problem with the magazine, not the pistol. It's never had an issue with the 5 round magazine.

However, like I said, I only rarely fire more than 100 rounds without cleaning.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had problems during the Kahr's recommended 200 round break in period, but when I reached 200 rounds the gun setteld in, and has been flawless with the 6 round mags. However, I continued to have nose diving issues with the 7 round magazines. After attempts to fix the 7 round magazine lips feed angle I decided to just toss the seven round magazines and buy 2 more 6 rounders with Pearce finder rests. The PM9 with the 6 rounds mags have been good since break in with 700+ rounds down range. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Kahrs have a stated break in period because of the tightness of the pistol. That being said I'd start your wife in the test fireing and once she's put 100-200 rounds of carry ammo through it without fail then I'd trust it

·
Registered
500 Posts
Kahrs are very tight with little room around the working parts plus there seems to be little space between Tight and Too Tight. My very early P9 was too tight. It had issues from the get-go. 2oo rounds later it still had problems. It just wasn't going to replace my G27 I thought. It also showed wear marks all over the chamber block so I spent an hour with a Dremel tool and a tube of Flitz one afternoon polishing the outside of the chamber block. Since I fiqured I was ruining my pistol I went ahead and did the chamber and feed ramp too. Took it to the range to see how bad the accuracy would be plus functioning afterwards and to this day this thing hasn't jammed again. It finally made it to carry status a few years ago and hasn't had an issue since.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I polished the ramp and chamber, but may do a little more on the ramp. I certainly think the mags are suspect. I really dont like the first round being pointed up so nicely and the 2nd round sitting much more level. I will probably clean the mags and make sure the outer edges of the followers are good and smooth before we go shoot it.

The mags are easy enough to load, but the lips like to bite your thumbs a bit after a couple hundred or so!!

Gonna be a while before I get to the range. Expecting 9 to 14 inches of snow here in Kansas City tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts