Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
21,371 Posts
You're worried about the theft vs. the fires?!

Reactions: NAZG26

·
Massive Member
26,146 Posts
Back in the early 80's there was a Detroit FF that threw a Molotov cocktail into a drug store in street clothes, drove away in a little blue car.

Turns out he returned in his FF gear, mingled with the dispatched FF and made his way to the back where the good drugs with street value were, stole a bunch of them. But that wasn't known until much later...

I remember it well because that night as I returned home from a bar gig, saw the smoke down the street, drove by to take a look, hung a U turn to head back home and slowed down to take another nice long look. In my little blue car...

Three short blocks down I take a right, go up a block (same street the MSP guy tasered the kid on the ATV that crashed and died, BTW). As I get out of the car, cop cars appear from every direction yelling at me...

In perhaps not my most brilliant moment ever I blurt out. "What the hells going on???? Is this about the fire at the drug store???"

Luckily it seems arsonists don't tend to carry musical equipments, wear flashy band clothes, run around without lighters (don't smoke), or happen to also be reserve officers of the Detroit Police... So I was quickly cleared and let go. I had actually been pulled over a couple times going through the neighborhood prior to that, but didn't think much of it, besides being odd until the last stop at gunpoint...

Randy

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Read the article. The guy was a "rover," or not assigned to any one station. Maybe that's normal in the Phoenix system, but I suspect only "special" guys get put into that unit.

My best, wholly uneducated guess is, there is a drug issue somehow involved in this mess.

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
Everywhere I have gone is like this. You could leave a 20.00 laying around, it will still be there. Leave some equipment, kiss it goodbye. Had a flashlight lifted from my office while I was out handling business.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,150 Posts
Everywhere I have gone is like this. You could leave a 20.00 laying around, it will still be there. Leave some equipment, kiss it goodbye. Had a flashlight lifted from my office while I was out handling business.
Yep. There could be almost any amount of cash or high end valuables (jewels, large bricks of drugs, etc) on the break room table, for weeks, untouched. Possibly even ignored.
Pens and flashlights will be gone before you look up from the drinking fountain.

There's a saying, "Cops don't steal, they infinitely borrow stuff."

·
Banned
10,620 Posts
Read the article. The guy was a "rover," or not assigned to any one station. Maybe that's normal in the Phoenix system, but I suspect only "special" guys get put into that unit.

My best, wholly uneducated guess is, there is a drug issue somehow involved in this mess.
It's pretty common across the bigger depts. The rover or traveler as they're sometimes called, cover off days, backfill call offs, vacations, etc. A couple of depts close to me pay extra for being a rover since they always have to go to a different station. They would know what valuables each station has and it would be easier to conceal a drug habit not being assigned with the same group of guys/gals every shift.

As far as being special or different, there are a few in each dept. We try to weed them out quickly or they get assigned a particular station and Captain. They usually either step up their game or get fired. Most rovers like the position because it gives them more experience and diversity working different assignments each shift.

I will go along with your assessment and say drug related, and throw in a dash of PTSD. So he can have a flimsy excuse. Back when I started 30 yrs ago, we would have had a rescue training op with him. Where he would have been secured to a backboard and everyone would take a turn hitting him with the leather strap from their radio holder.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It's pretty common across the bigger depts. The rover or traveler as they're sometimes called, cover off days, backfill call offs, vacations, etc. A couple of depts close to me pay extra for being a rover since they always have to go to a different station. They would know what valuables each station has and it would be easier to conceal a drug habit not being assigned with the same group of guys/gals every shift.

As far as being special or different, there are a few in each dept. We try to weed them out quickly or they get assigned a particular station and Captain. They usually either step up their game or get fired. Most rovers like the position because it gives them more experience and diversity working different assignments each shift.

I will go along with your assessment and say drug related, and throw in a dash of PTSD. So he can have a flimsy excuse. Back when I started 30 yrs ago, we would have had a rescue training op with him. Where he would have been secured to a backboard and everyone would take a turn hitting him with the leather strap from their radio holder.
Our guys rove on a seniority basis. If you are the new guy, you don't get to stay at your home station much. I've seen $20.00 bucks or more lay on a table for four or more days, as the guy who bought dinner forgot to pick it up. On the other hand, we did have a thief at one time. We had an idea, there was a camera set up, and within an hour the local pd had him in for a discussion, the door codes were changed, he never worked another day for us. 5 years or into a career and done. Word was drugs. It sucks, but it happens. Setting fires takes it to a new level.

·
Semper Paratus
29,269 Posts
BI good to see you posting.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
We call them floaters . I’m in charge of a Truck co. Myself and 4 FF the youngest two split the floats , to other co. if they’re short they go there for the shift, sometime we ride “Heavy”with all 4 plus me.
We had a thief a few years ago , kid had a drug habit and was fired .

The pens we get from the supply depo are cheap plastic junk, so,I buy zebras as they’re metal and hold up well. One Day I can’t find it ,then I see a guy from the opposite group with it,I ask where he got it, “oh I don’t know”, well,I think it’s mine . His side job ? Works the Mounted patrol for the Sheriff Dept lol.

We have many part time Deputy’s on our Dept. Airport, Marine unit and Mounted patrol , they all were cops first then got in the FD and to keep,their creds. Work part time for,Sheriff.

One time a guy got mugged in front of a fire house. An LT chases him down through him up against a fence and told him he was under arrest . Guy said “you can’t arrest me your a FF.”

LT said , “ well I got two jobs ! “

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.