Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just an average homeowner who owns a Glock 21 for home defense. I practice at a local indoor range on and off during the year, nothing major. I maybe looking to start trying some of these matches for a new hobby.

I live in northern Georgia. I would be able to attend all of the matches in Georgia and would try to hit Mobile, AL (my folks live here!) and Lexington, KY, probably a Tennessee match also.

How many wheelchair participants do you guys see on average at these locations? I just want to get an idea of how many of us wheelchair users frequent GSSF matches in the "Southern Region".

thnx!
David

· Sometimes grumpy, not old
1,167 Posts
A heads up on the Lexington match... Not the shooting itself but the Bluegrass Sportsmans Club is laid out on a very large property and the layout is spread out bigger than the other matches I've been to. There are hills to go up and down also. If you get back in your car to drive to each stage it won't be a problem, as I'm sure the staff will help out as best they can.

It's an excellent match but I felt that should be pointed out.

· Registered
767 Posts
Hi,
In Orlando we started the Range officer bays - now Express lanes. We have a 5 to Glock and a Glock M in the same bay or next to it to help with not having to go back to your car more then once. In St Augustine match (Nov) they have concrete side walks which will make it easier like Mobile-it will be friendly for you..

A lot of southern matches are some what easy to get to in a wheel chair. The most I have seen at any match was also 3 wheel chairs in one day.

Lexington not so much, Tallahassee is not concrete but two of the stages are close the way they set it up, Okeechobee has two stages close with a short drive to the M - they are adding more ranges so it could be easier. ClearWater will not be too hard. Morganton would also be easier then most and South Caroline is a small venue. Dawsonville was also easy due to the Express bays and road.

Hope to see you there soon
Mike

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
In Orlando we started the Range officer bays - now Express lanes. We have a 5 to Glock and a Glock M in the same bay or next to it to help with not having to go back to your car more then once. In St Augustine match (Nov) they have concrete side walks which will make it easier like Mobile-it will be friendly for you..

A lot of southern matches are some what easy to get to in a wheel chair. The most I have seen at any match was also 3 wheel chairs in one day.

Lexington not so much, Tallahassee is not concrete but two of the stages are close the way they set it up, Okeechobee has two stages close with a short drive to the M - they are adding more ranges so it could be easier. ClearWater will not be too hard. Morganton would also be easier then most and South Caroline is a small venue. Dawsonville was also easy due to the Express bays and road.

Hope to see you there soon
Mike

Great. I expected some ranges to have uneven terrain. It's to be expected here in the South, with a mountain range.

Most of the locations sound more than reasonably accessible. Good to know I can go to Florida too. Okeechobee - nice.

· Super Moderator
20,459 Posts
Beckley, WV is small and flat. Easy to get around but you have to watch the weather. If it rains the day before or during the match, you will need to trade your wheelchair for a one-man pontoon boat. Otherwise you will be axle deep in mud.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.