On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,477 Posts
Reactions: Jon_R

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
It will be just 4
Foi gras and 4 kinds of cheese on two kinds of crackers and French bread
deep fried turkey - the girlfriend insists on Butterball and I had to buy a 14 pound unit, meaning there will be turkey sandwiches for a week.
mashed potatoes
stuffing (only one person eats it)
asparagus
green beans
Belgian endive salad
homemade French baguettes
cheese cake with raspberry topping

and, if you count the greedy/starved chihuahua, it makes 5.

Then, there was the time in Mississippi I sent stepmother #2 money to buy a huge prime rib which I made for 4 with trimmings. Stepmom's nephew showed up with a turkey he had shot in the morning, so I made that also. There were no meat leftovers!

Then there was the time we had a bake off, with the fix in. I made a New York cheesecake. The Whoop cheese (hard to find) cost $20! The girlfriend made her cheesecake. The three members of her family voted unanimously for her entry.

And if my cheesecake was expensive, there was the time that I made goose - and the price of the bird took away my breath!

·
Registered
19,099 Posts
Just settling down with a bit of Cookies & Cream ice cream for dessert.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Our family isn’t really into turkey so we usually cook up something else.

I’m grilling up some prime filet minon.

Mashed potatoes. Corn. Bread rolls from our favorite bbq restaurant. Stuffing (kids like it).

Asparagus wrapped in bacon for appetizers.

And of course pumpkin pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Just my wife and I this year. We had turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, and some biscuits. Was very good!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
There's just the two of us and we'll eat around 8PM, as usual.
The table won't have everything on it. The pie is chilled in the fridge. I like mine cold and COVERED with whipped cream, but Wifey heats hers in the microwave, so we're both happy. :)
She'll sip wine before and after the meal, but tea with the meal. I don't have anything before the meal, but have lots of wine and a 20-oz tumbler of green tea concoction to take my pills, and then more with with snacks or dessert.
Here's a "before" picture of the sides. Not shown is the mashed potatoes.
My Beaujolais Nouveau stash from last Thursday will be enjoyed. :)
IMG_9656.JPG
IMG_20201119_180823247.jpg

·
Director of civil unrest
9,195 Posts
Going to my Wife's Son's house for dinner. He's smoking up a brisket and his GF is cooking up the turkey. My Wife made the deviled eggs, dinner rolls and a home made apple pie with the pie filling we canned up a year or two ago.
Me? I'm boiling the juice from 4 large cans of sweet potatoes with a LOT of brown sugar, a pound of butter, vanilla and nutmeg with a dash of cinnamon.
When it cooks down to a syrup, I'll add the contents of two of the cans to the syrup and cook them for about 15 mins., put the rest in the large aluminum baking pan, then put some pecans on those then the rest of the taters and syrup topped off with mini marshmallows and pecans.
Great! I got diabetes just typing this!

·
Displaced Hillbilly
1,646 Posts
Ain’t got one. Having to work all day, three have gone to jail after a foot chase and a fight, an overdose, etc.

And there won’t be one waiting on me tonight. 2020 is the Thanksgiving that wasn’t.
Thank you for what you are doing. We aren’t eating for 2 more hours, but, my next bourbon is in your honor. Cheers!

·
BRAVIA 4 LIFE!
1,784 Posts

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
This is the first Thanksgiving I can remember during my 83 years without turkey. With just me here, it wasn't worth it.

I smoked a bacon wrapped Cornish Game Hen instead. For sides I had steamed asparagus and Portabella mushrooms stuffed with yellow summer squash and onions....cheddar cheese sauce on both...Hannie's special to drink. Southern buttermilk pie for dessert.

20201126_155601.jpg
20201126_172737.jpg

·
Registered
828 Posts
Too much for me to really care about, honestly. My wife is into the holidays. I'm not, but I play along to keep her happy and continue the illusion for our kids. She wants to make a fancy feast, so she is. I'm keeping the kids out of her hair to keep her happy by playing video games with the kiddos, helping with snacks, playing with toys, etc. We're currently in Southern California, and had planned on going to Northern Utah so we could spend the holiday with my MIL and some aunts, but the Navy said, "Nope" when Utah's COVID numbers skyrocketed. What makes things worse is most of our neighbors are in the Marines and they aren't under the same restrictions as the Navy. Most of them packed up and left for the holiday.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
After seeing the finished product I have to ask; how about sharing that recipe?
Sure...but you put on weight just making it. :)

2 packs of Broad Egg Noodles
1/2&1/2
Stick of butter
1/4 lbs Extra Sharp Cheddar
1/4 lbs Medium White Cheddar
1/4 lbs American Cheese
1/4 lbs Colby Jack Melting Cheese
4 table spoons of Velveeta Cheese
Tony Sacheries Creole Seasoning
Medium disposable roasting pan

Going to make 2 layers.

Boil the pasta, pour into roasting pan. Melt 1/2 stick of butter, drizzle over top. Also drizzle Half and Half, paying attention to corners to keep them moist. Add layers of all the cheeses, then sprinkle Tony Sacheries to taste. You put 2 table spoons of Velveeta in the corners too, for even melting.

Repeat for top layer with 2nd bag of noodles. Season with Tony Sacheries to taste (careful, Tony's is powerful stuff with lots of Cayenne ju-ju).

Bake at 350 degrees till cheeses melt. Then broil while carefully watching to very lightly brown the top.

Then EAT.

Bon Appetit!!!

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
dood, I grew up w/ the same dining room set, this post just introduced some serious nostalgia of time gone by!

Ain’t got one. Having to work all day, three have gone to jail after a foot chase and a fight, an overdose, etc.

And there won’t be one waiting on me tonight. 2020 is the Thanksgiving that wasn’t.
I worked today too. tomorrow is another day my friend. sadly, like each year, it was an average day. people cannot even get along 1 day a year.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts