Whats your States bag limit??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Frank in Montana, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

Here in Montana, as a resident, we can buy an over the counter Deer and ELK tag with an extra doe tag available in many areas for another $8. Some elk areas also allow taking of a 2nd cow elk. Those areas are generally tough for access or tough geographically to get in and out,especially with a few hundred pounds of cow.

Antelope are by draw only with a doe tag available over the counter.

So we are generally one deer and one elk available. With antelope doe pretty much guaranteed. Antelope buck by drawing.

Moose,Goat and Sheep by draw.

FN in MT

2. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

In MI, it is one deer per season, per tag, one bow and one gun. There is a combo tag thing where you get a "regular" and a "restricted" tag. You can use both in one season, or one in each. The regular tag is for a 3" buck only. The restricted tag is for a doe or a buck if it has 4 points or more on one side. You can take two bucks, but the first has to be tagged with the restricted tag and have 4 or more points on one side.

It is a little tricky to figure out. Elk I believe is a resident only draw and one per tag.

3. noway

noway

Florida Deer is on a Honor system (NO TAGS) 2 deer limit per season, here's a few OTHER bags limits;

turkey spring = 2 gobblers or bearded turkey
    turkey fall = 2 goobler or beared turkey
    squirrels 12 daily
    coons = unlimited
    dillos = unlimited
    hogs = unless a WMA has specific regulations , unlimited
    quail = 12 daily ( good luck getting this on a WMA )
    wabbits = 12 daily

4. vafish

vafish

VA big game tag ($12) allows you 6 Deer (3 must be anterless) 2 or 3 turkey and 1 bear. Additional Bonus deer tags, antlerless only, are 2 tags for $12.

5. VolFan

VolFan

In middle TN, where I'm originally from and the only place I hunt deer, we have a very liberal limit.

With a Sportsmans License (which is now about $140 and includes all seasons, all animals, all weapons, as well as fishing) we can take 3 antlered deer total for all seasons. During bow and muzzleloader, it's like 3 does during each of the seasons. During rifle season we can take 3 does per day...yes, per day! The things are everywhere and the state is making a concerted effort to improve the quality of bucks harvested.

6. noway

noway

man I need to move to TN ;)

7. Hoingshiba

Hoingshiba willhunt4food

How much are non-resident tags? might be worth the trip...

8. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

In GA, we have a 12 deer limit. You can take 2 bucks out of those 12, one having at least 4 points, each being one inch long, on one side.

9. Kasinefect

Kasinefect

In Alabama you are allowed one buck per day during the season. Some counties are so over run with deer that during some periods, these counties have what is known as "hunters choice." This means you can shoot two deer,(a buck and a doe or two does.) Considering that after WWII deer were pretty hard to find in this state that is quite a recovery! I knew alot of old timers who would hunt in the York area near the Mississippi border why back then. Now there are so many deer that unless enough are harvested, there is the risk of malnutrition.

10. Boston Glocks

Boston Glocks

A license allows you to harvest two antlered deer. For $5 you can try to win an antlerless tag in one the states of many hunting zones. Some zones have a limited number of antlerless tags, some appear to be unlimited (see Zones 10 and 11). There are also other hunts that may allow you to harvest more (see Nantuckett special hunt).

For more information, go to mass.gov and find the Dept. of Fish and Game.

11. vafish

vafish

Basically if you just want to rifle/shotgun hunt for deer $140.

$80 for hunting license, $60 for Bear, Turkey, Deer tags, plus and additional $25 each for Archery, Crossbow, or Muzzle Loader licenses. There's also a National Forest Stamp fee of $12.

See below,

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses_and_permits.asp#License_Fees

Nonresident Hunting Licenses, Permits and Stamps

If you are required to buy a nonresident hunting license, one of the following is needed to hunt in Virginia. Other licenses, permits, or stamps may also be required.
    Nonresident License to hunt statewide (16 years or older) $80.00
    Nonresident 3-Day Trip License to hunt statewide. Must be 3 consecutive hunting days; no Sunday hunting; 16 years or older $40.00
    Nonresident Youth License to hunt statewide (under age 12) $12.00
    Nonresident Youth License to hunt statewide (ages 12–15) $15.00
    Nonresident Youth Combination License (under 16 years old) to hunt statewide; to hunt bear, deer, and turkey; to hunt with a bow and arrow during the archery seasons and to hunt with a muzzleloader during the muzzleloading deer seasons $30.00
    Nonresident Lifetime License to hunt (available only through Richmond Office). Annual deer, bear, turkey license and all applicable licenses, stamps or permits are required in addition to this license; 16 years or older $500.00

One or more of the following may be required in addition to the nonresident hunting license.
    Nonresident Bear, Deer, Turkey License to hunt bear, deer and turkey statewide, required in addition to hunting license or lifetime license Age 16 years or older $60.00
    Age 12–15 years old $15.00
    Under 12 years old $12.00
    Nonresident Archery License to hunt statewide during archery season if hunting with a longbow, recurve, or compound bow $25.00
    Nonresident Crossbow License to hunt statewide during archery season if hunting with a crossbow. $25.00
    Nonresident Muzzleloading License to hunt during the muzzleloading season $25.00
    Nonresident Shooting Preserve (to hunt within the boundaries of a licensed shooting preserve, in lieu of other required licenses) $12.00
    Nonresident Bonus Deer Permit (2 antlerless tags) $25.00
    Nonresident County Damage Stamp to hunt deer and bear in Smyth County, in addition to other licenses, and sold only by the clerk of the county $5.00

12. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

NJ is limitless on does in both bow and shotgun seasons in a lot of zones.
    You are allowed bucks according to the following:

Fall bow-1 buck
    Ext bow-1 buck
    Reg Shotgun Season-2 bucks
    Permit Shotgun-1 buck (unless you took 2 during Reg Season, then 0)
    Winter bow-1 buck

Some zones have an Earn a Buck. You must shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck.

You need a bow lic for Fall bow. Shotgun lic for Reg season.
    Permits for Ext bow and Permit Shotgun.

It gets a bit confusing but you can shoot deer from Sept until end of Feb. If you don't want horns, you can shoot as many does as you can find.

13. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

In addition to the above exhalant post we have what are called "stand alone antlerless (doe) tags"... there are 2 types, 1 is for "private land" & the other 1 is for "public land"... you buy one of these & you can take a doe with it during ANY deer season.

"Public land" doe tags are available by application only (cost $4 to apply)... you have to apply between July 1st & August 1st each year... if you're drawn then you get the okay to purchase ($10 for a resident) a tag... any that may be left over in a certain DMU are available for purchase ($10) over the counter at the start of a certain date.

Doe tag quotas are controlled by DMUs... the state is split up into 90+ DMUs for doe tags. (Not all DMUs have doe tags available, but most do… some only have 100 doe tags available & some have thousands & thousands available!)

"Private land" doe tags are available for purchase ($10 for a resident) over the counter on August 2nd each year... you can buy one a day until they are gone in any particular DMU... if one wanted they could actually buy 60 doe tags BEFORE the start of archery season on October 1st & keep right on buying through to January 1st... there is no daily bag limit on deer, so, for an example, if you collected 105 doe tags before the start of gun/deer season on November 15th you could fill them ALL in 1 day if you wanted to/could! (I know a guy whole filled 6 doe tags & 1 of his buck tags in a 2 hour period. :))

14. Toyman

Toyman

I don't think that's correct, I think you can use either tag first.

15. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Thank you Toyman. I am wrong. You are right. Like, I said, its a little tricky. I thought the 4+ pt. had to be taken 1st. Just checked the DNR's FAQ: Last sentence.

Q. How many and what size bucks (antlered deer) can I take in Michigan?

The maximum possible number of bucks a person could take under their regular deer licenses in Michigan (archery, firearm or combination) is two. However, if you take two antlered deer, regardless of season or license type, one of the antlered deer must have at least one antler with four or more antler points 1" or longer. This “four-point minimum” buck can be taken first or second, the order is not important.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the anterless permits. Thanks Michigun. I am in Keweenaw County; I can only take a doe in archery season, not gun. Of course every 170 pound doe in the area walks by me during gun season, but come late bow season they are none around.

16. Z34Lee

Z34Lee Rush is Right!

Indiana:

It's complicated, but essentially I can get a total of 5 (IIRC) in the county I hunt in (firearms and bow). $24 per license.

1 buck only all year

2 of either sex in Archery
    1 buck firearm
    Bonus antlerless license (varies by county)

If you hunt in an Urban Deer Zone you could get up to 9 I believe.

17. Castigliano

Castigliano

MN has some areas where I could take 7 deer. We had a October 2 day 2 doe hunt in certain zones, in November we have $28 for buck or doe, and then up to 4 does at $14 each. These deer a larger than the southern counterparts and most people only take 2 deer (too much meat).
    Season starts this Saturday and I have my two tags already.
    c

18. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

In WI, you are allowed to take a single buck (must have at least one 3" antler) on a gun tag, and a single deer of either sex with an archery tag. However, with the purchase of either license, you are also given a free antlerless tag, which can only be used in DMUs (deer management units) that have an extra doe season. Bonus antlerless tags are available for most DMUs, on a quota basis, for $12ea. 1st come, 1st served. Sold "over the counter" until they're gone, and you cannot purchase more than 2 in a single day. Bonus tags are good for either gun or bow, but can only be used in the DMU they're issued for. Under no circumstances can anyone get more than one buck tag for gun or one for archery... BUT... "group hunting" is legal, meaning you can shoot somebody else's buck, as long as certain criteria apply.

Resident tags are $24. Non-residents $160. Sold "over-the-counter", no "draws" or "lotteries".