Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my components just arrived. I'm getting ready to set up the dies and powder measure to load 9mm. The recipe is 4.9 grs of WST pushing a 115 gr FMJ from Montana Gold. I am using a Hornady LNL AP and same brand dies. I am going to try them on a brand new P365 which will be my secondary carry gun if everything goes well...
I just tumbled a bunch of brass and I have set aside some Winchester, Federal and Speer to crank my first rounds of 9mm.
I have other headstamps like Blazer, RP, S&B that I have left for last because those are the ones I like the least when loading 45 acp.
What brass do you guys prefer for 9mm?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I prefer Winchester brass in 9MM. However I've loaded pickup brass in just about all brands with no major issues. I do prefer staying with same brand brass for premium loads and Win brass seems to have the perfect wall thickness for my bullets.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,515 Posts
Federal works well for me and fortunately seems like one of the most plentiful in my circle.
Seem to have good supply of Blazer which also works well for me, then Winchester, then RP.
I don't bother with others because I separate brass by headstamp and load batches by headstamp when I have 5-600 or so

I too, scrap CBC under all circumstances.

If I buy new, it is Starline, but try to use that where it is mostly recoverable, or for an important match.

I am loading mostly 147s. You could have better luck with some other brass if loading 115s.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
•FC• and Blazer seem identical to me. I always notice easiest seating of both bullets and primers with those headstamps. For that reason, and the fact that they’re both plentiful, they’re my favorites.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I like the free stuff you find on the ground. Seriously though, I go through a lot of 9mm and have never separated out one brand over another, so I have no preference. I go through them looking for shouldered cases, splits and crimped primers. I do separate out nickle plated and save them for SD rounds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can say I agree *FC* and Win are the ones I keep in bulk when sorting and have no issues with. All others of mixed head stamp are stored together and will probably never be used but are there just in case of a shortage.

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
1,622 Posts
I like the free stuff you find on the ground. Seriously though, I go through a lot of 9mm and have never separated out one brand over another, so I have no preference. I go through them looking for shouldered cases, splits and crimped primers. I do separate out nickle plated and save them for SD rounds.
Collo Rosso, by SHOULDERED, are you referring to rifle and 357 Sig?

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
Lake City, RA and WCC MilSurp.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
A couple of years ago, in one of my gun magazines they did a test. They put a match grade 45acp1911 in a Ransom rest. Then loaded don’t remember how many rounds of all one head stamp and another batch of mixed head stamp brass.
If you think that the same head stamp gave the best accuracy you would be wrong. The mixed brass came out ahead. But then if you did this same test 100 times would you have the same results??? And like they said your results may vary..

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
By far, Speer, even better than Starline. I get once fired indoor LEO brass and it's either Speer or WW.

The brass you don't want to use is stepped brass. IMT, Freedom Munitions, AmmoLoad and the worst, MaxxTech. The steps will separate during firing and leave a brass sleeve in the chamber and you with a dead gun. Especially prone to in carbines.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Collo Rosso, by SHOULDERED, are you referring to rifle and 357 Sig?
No. I can't think of the name right now, but there's 9mm cases that have a internal shoulder. Someone theorized it's for bullet set back I think. Reduces internal capacity, which could be a big pressure problem. They may be in other calibers, but I've not seen any.
There's also those 2 piece cases out there by shell shocked technologies. They require proprietary dies to reload.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Whatever I find at the range. It all works, except s&b, which need the primer pockets opened.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,515 Posts
A couple of years ago, in one of my gun magazines they did a test.... all one head stamp and another batch of mixed head stamp brass.
If you think that the same head stamp gave the best accuracy you would be wrong...
I never considered that separating headstamps would yield more accuracy, but it has to yield more consistency. If I am shooting a match, I shoot one (known results) headstamp throughout.

To add to that, any CBC brass that I load with a 147 will consistently NOT chamber - or at least will not pass a Hundo or other gauge. That in itself, shows consistency within brass headstamps.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
I never considered that separating headstamps would yield more accuracy, but it has to yield more consistency. If I am shooting a match, I shoot one (known results) headstamp throughout.

To add to that, any CBC brass that I load with a 147 will consistently NOT chamber - or at least will not pass a Hundo or other gauge. That in itself, shows consistency within brass headstamps.
Many, many moons ago there was one of the top GSSF shooters. That used new brass, he weighted every piece of brass, every bullet and every charge. Was he any better than other top shooters that used all makes of mixed brass, No.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
^^^^ Yup, it's not 1,000 F class rifle. Inside of 40 yards, almost any load will work. And so what if one is a 2" group and the other 4"? Speed is far more important than little groups.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts