What's YOUR power level?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Gauss Rifle, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

With all the craziness going on in the country, there has never been a better time to dust off your muscles and get into shape.

A few years ago, I started hitting the gym hard after an 8 year break and way too much junk food. Covid-19 put a damper on things but now that my local gym has reopened, I'm back and I've upgraded from 3 days a week to 4. I've regained the majority of my pre-lockdown strength and a lot of my stamina. While I'm not quite "special forces" level in shape, I'm seriously starting to get there and I've I loving every minute of it.

This thread is meant to discuss, your motivations for personal fitness, what you've achieved and any tips and tricks you've learned during your workouts. You can also use it to motivate yourself to get back in the game and give these young punks a run for their money.

Whether you're a competitive athlete, doing manual labor around the homestead, prepping for your next physical readiness test for the police/military, training for the pending social collapse or just getting high off your own endorphins, I want to hear about it.

What's your power level?

[​IMG]

2. Mumblzthemnstr

Mumblzthemnstr

3. Mumblzthemnstr

Mumblzthemnstr

Buts seriously. It's 50 to 60 times higher than Zeno's.

4. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

What! 9000!? There's no way that could be right! :eek:

What kind of workouts do you do?

5. Mumblzthemnstr

Mumblzthemnstr

I sleep alot and only eat once a year in the hyperbolic time chamber.

railfancwb likes this.
  6. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

Nice

7. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Since there is no context given I will give myself an arbitrary power level of 6 which is more than 5 but less than 7. Of course the correct answer for everything is 42 but I don't play by the rules.

Gauss Rifle and oldmick like this.
  8. oldmick

oldmick

Not sure what my power level is but I’ve done some sort of strength/cardio for quite a few years. I used to do heavier weights and low reps, broken down by “pushing” and “pulling”.

As I’ve aged my doctor recommended changing to lighter weights and higher reps (15-20). In my seventies now, I do strength “pulling” exercises one day, followed by cardio the next day, then “pushing” the following day then cardio etc.

Pulling day = lats, biceps, traps and legs

Pushing day = pecs, triceps, deltoids, abs

Average workout about 40 minutes

tallTexasdude, Cambo and Gauss Rifle like this.
  9. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

The fact that you are still pumping iron that in your 70s, gives you a minimum power level of 5000 for technical [email protected]$$ery.

If by chance, you happen to be like that 63 year old gentleman that I saw casually tossing up 250 pounds on the bench press, then my hat's off to you. That's some top tier Master Roshi type stuff right there and it never ceases to amaze me whenever I see something like that.
    [​IMG]

Respect your elders, kids. ...and underestimate no one!

10. bdcochran

bdcochran

There is a subforum on physical fitness.
    Goals
    1. Until a few months ago when I sustained an injury, I was one of the few men in his 70s without having any underlying medical condition or being on any prescription drug. That was goal no. one.
    2. Until the lockdown, I was a regular dancer at a very high level.

Tips and tricks:
    1. it doesn't make much difference what order you do your workout, even what you do in your workout so long as:
    a. you are satisfied with your overall conditioning - being able to move your extremities to the extent desired;
    b. you work on your cardio so that you are not short of breath.
    c. you don't have to do your entire workout at one fell swoop.
    d. if you are motivated, you don't need to belong to a gym, you construct your own equipment and do your exercises at home.
    e. you don't create a workout that ends up hurting you. It seems that some weight lifters do hurt themselves and don't understand the concepts of lightly challenging muscles and allowing them to recover.
    f. consult with a competent physical therapist when you experience problems. It costs me $40 to go see one of the excellent Kaiser therapists. And when I do, I discuss how long it will take to effectively deal with a problem - sometimes it takes months.

Around 2013, I knew a guy who had been weightlifting since the 1930s. He certainly wasn't pushing himself every day. When a person doesn't exercise for 8 years and then aggressively starts exercising, I would be concerned about injuries and becoming discouraged.

2. If you "exercising hard" so that you can grapple and beat someone half your age, you should re-think that reason. Speak privately to an honest black belt in the martial arts and you will be told that the last thing you would want to do is to grapple with someone. Yes, the black belts learn how to grapple - after learning how to avoid grappling.

HouGlock likes this.
  11. redrick

redrick

Who needs a gym , that is why they made a Colt .

Just kidding of course .

Gauss Rifle likes this.
  12. ashecht

ashecht

I’m not a bodybuilder, but I’m 59 and work out 5-6 days/week. I do t concern myself with one rep maxes as I don’t think that proves squat. Everything I do is 4 sets. Bench around 210, preacher curls at 100, leg curls at 230, leg extensions at 240. Multiple sets to me are the true definition of strength

HouGlock, slamdunc and Gauss Rifle like this.
  13. oldmick

oldmick

Ya... well, that WOULDN'T be me. :) Today my strength training is done at home with dumbbells, a flat bench and a cable type machine that I've had for years that I use for stretching and a few compound exercises. Typically 3 sets, 15-20 reps and about seven exercises per workout. I no longer try to gain, I'm just happy to maintain. :)

slamdunc and Gauss Rifle like this.
  14. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

Awesome! It sounds like you and I are on the same page with somewhat similar workouts.

I do a 4-day routine; alternating between upper and lower body with some lower weight/higher rep exercises in between. I take Wednesdays and weekends off so I don't over do it; though I'll probably fit some cardio into my Wednesdays after I reach my full pre-covid strength.
    Upper body on Mondays and Thursdays. 4 sets of each of the following; average rest time between sets is about 2 minutes.

- Bench press: 200-220. I use a smith machine because my gym doesn't have standard barbell free weights.
    - Incline bench (Smith) 45 degrees or greater: 150.
    - With 45lb dumbbells in each hand, I do a set of standing curls, immediately followed by overhead presses, immediately followed by upright rows.
    - Compound lateral raise exercise; meant to target your shoulders: 20 in each hand
    - Seated pulldown: 200-210
    - Triceps cable pulldown: 85-95
    - Seated triceps: 240-260
    - Seated chest fly: 260 immediately followed by seated reverse fly: 215

Lower body with basic core and endurance on Tuesdays and Fridays.

- Stair Climber machine: 15 minute warmup; level 10 (default starting level is 6)

4 sets of the following with about 2 minutes rest between sets.

- Standing dumbbell curls: 20 pounds in each hand; 24 reps; immediately followed by tricep cable pulldowns; 60 pounds; 24 reps.
    - Sled leg press: 300 (so I don't give myself a heart attack)
    Seated leg curls: 220-240
    - I've started to incorporate a variety of dumbbell squats and lunges, as well as smith machine leg exercises. I'm taking this slow to assess my potential and so I don't wreck my back or knees.
    - Hip adductors and hip abductors: 260, 20 reps of each; alternating until I do 4 sets of each. No rest in between.

Agreed. Kudos to you for staying in shape. It is my intention to one day be one those few senior citizens who still have a bit of strength in them. If nothing else; it's tends to raise your quality of life as you age.

Pain and experience were my teachers for this lesson. I mildly damaged my right rotator by doing too many dips. I had to take a break from most upper body exercises for about 3 months. It has since healed and I am essentially back to normal. While I'm not as advanced in years as you are, I am at the age where the decisions I make now will impact me for the rest of my life. As such, I now pay much closer attention to what my body is trying to tell me before it becomes a problem. Diet and stretching are important too.

Do not misunderstand. I didn't start out going crazy on the weights like the kids do. I took it for granted that I had only a fraction of my former strength to start with. It was simply a "pleasant surprise" that my body "remembered" being stronger back in my 20s and quickly adapted to the additional resistance. I started at something like, 30-40% of my current workout weight and used my body's natural neural-muscular adaptation to gradually get stronger. Over time, rest and diet contributed to a noticeable size gain, which in turn supported more adaptation and thus, more strength. I now have a decent amount of muscle mass and strength for my frame size. The key now is to drop a bit of the residual fat that I picked up from the increased calorie intake. So that my own weight does not negatively impact my strength and stamina.

While I'd normally agree with you on this, I happen to be a former wrestler and tend to do my best work either up close or on the ground. I have a knack for evading, escaping and reversing holds (including choke holds) and a near-unbreakable base.

I also have a close friend who is a 280 pound former MMA fighter, private security and corrections officer. He's 8 years younger than me, 75 pounds heavier and is heavily muscled. We've known each other for more than 15 years and we used to spar from time to time; sometimes, as a result of him ambushing me or grabbing me unexpectedly. During our time together, he found that I can take a lot of physical punishment and that none of his restraint/pain compliance/submission maneuvers had any effect on me. After one of our trainings, he once told me; "Dude, you're a freak! The only way to beat someone like you is to knock you out as quickly as possible. If they can't do that, they're screwed!".

Trust me when I say; if I end up grappling with someone, it will be the last thing they want. They'd be far better served by just shooting me. Heaven help them if they miss.

In any case, you give some very solid advice and I'd whole-heartedly recommend that anyone who is just starting to get into weightlifting take what you say very seriously. My only regret is that you and I didn't have this conversation; idunno say... 8 years ago? :D

15. Commander_Zero

Commander_Zero

I did CrossFit for a number of years and, to me, it was an ideal workout because it was centered on 'functional' fitness. Lifting heavy objects, running distances, being able to pull, push, and maneuver heavy things, etc, etc. Virtually every exercise was one that I could see being translated into a 'real world' experience...pulling myself up over obstacles, running while carrying a pack, swinging heavy ammo cases from one place to another, pushing objects in/out of place, etc....
    By the time I was at my apex in it, I could deadlift 400#, squat #300, and run a mile in 15 minutes while carrying #150. FOr me, I found it to be the most practical workout.

slamdunc and Gauss Rifle like this.
  16. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Are negative numbers allowed?

17. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

Only if your muscles hang down when you flex...

[​IMG]

Then again, if that happens, there's a chance you might be Mr. fantastic!
    [​IMG]

18. Scott1970

Scott1970

My power level is defined by my White Privilege which, according to some, is infinity.

I win.

19. Bradley T

Bradley T

I ran 15 miles last week.
    Got a grip strengthener too.
    Need to buy some weights and a bench. I'm not real appreciative of the communists' mask-wearing scam. I'll just do my stuff at home!

20. Scott1970

Scott1970

Pfft....I drove 100 miles just yesterday.