Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
11,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because if I did this with my wife in any public event while in uniform, under our policy, I would be reprimanded.

Odd world we live in.

4 of 41 Reesha Lopez, left, and her fiancé, Wendy Billingsley, a detective for King County Sheriff’s Office march in the parade. “We’ve been waiting for this,” said Billingsley about Friday’s Supreme Court’ ruling for marriage equality. (Bettina Hansen / The Seattle Times)

· Semper Paratus
31,453 Posts
We could not participate in uniform in any parade without written permission from the sheriff.

Reactions: TBO

· you savvy?
23,204 Posts
officers do not have to take any side on a controversial issue to be punished. simply participating in a discussion on a flag issue can lead to punishment. this rule is not applied equally.

· Massive Member
27,282 Posts
I don't think I'm supposed to stop for gas in uniform on the way home.

Pretty sure anything that appears to lend official support of the department by appearing in uniform is going to be a problem.

Even to the question of Shell vs Mobil gasoline, apparently...

Randy

· Semper Paratus
31,453 Posts
On a side note viewing the photograph has shown me that cellulite can be detected through uniform pants if the chunk is large enough..............carry on.

· Registered
446 Posts
Because if I did this with my wife in any public event while in uniform, under our policy, I would be reprimanded.
These days, if your wife was also male, you could do pretty much what ever you wish with immunity. We live in interesting times.

· Semper Paratus
31,453 Posts
Drop leg taser? That's new... she looks horrible, but whatever.
if not it would be on her hip and she'd never reach it, like it was in orbit...

· Scottish Member
15,331 Posts

· Registered
11,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I asked because our policy is very clear and was designed to keep officers, as much as possible, in the appearance of being fair to all. Even when meeting my wife for dinner, I surely couldn't stroll around hand in hand with her for concern that a citizen would file a complaint.

From a safety standpoint, I wouldn't want the world (and those nuts) to know the name of my fiancee.

I do not know if the Sheriff approved this as there has been no local mention of his thoughts. Presumably, there is tacit approval. But I wonder what the reaction would be if a deputy was in uniform, attending a church, temple or mosque service in uniform and holding his significant other's hand. Past practice and precedent may have been set here.

· Shut your mouth
5,311 Posts
Drop leg taser? That's new... she looks horrible, but whatever.

Thread hijack I suppose but some I work with wear a fancy Safariland drop leg taser holster. I think it looks stupid. The funny thing is we are not allowed a drop leg gun holster unless you have a dog or for some reason a commercial traffic guy.

Back on topic, do you really think Admin would touch the ladies in the photo with a ten foot pole? A policy violation and punishment it not worth the certain crapstorm that would follow.

Anyway, looking at the pic, they aren't the only officers in the photo and I would not consider that PDA.

I think the police marching in ANY parade,aside from maybe a DARE car or whatever is dumb.

· Registered
35,067 Posts
Knowing Washington state the sheriff knows full well and condones this. Anybody notice the hetero couple holding hands behind azzhauler?

· Registered
38,704 Posts
No policy whatsoever other than no sex on duty.

And that one is flexible as at least one manager has proved.

ETA I forgot about the sgt/subordinate hummer caught in the act.

· NRA Life Member
1,048 Posts
I don't think I'm supposed to stop for gas in uniform on the way home.

Randy

In this county deputies are issued a county credit card to fill up their patrol cars at the gas station of their choice.

· Registered
35,067 Posts

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Silly me, I clicked on this as I was thinking it was going to be about using your issued PDA (which is what we do reports on) for anything out of the ordinary,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts