What's Your Brest "I Know the Law Better Than Any Lawyer" Story?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Carrys, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

You know, the kind of story where someone actually believed what they always thought the law was/wasn't vs what it truly was/is.

I've ran up against many such folks, young, old and in between. They just knew what they thought was correct/legal, damn the law. They had heard something all their life, saw it on TV, or someone they trusted had told them about it, so it simply had to be true. It just must be.

There's many of them out there, shucks.....I read many of 'em here. Some are from members who're too young to know any better and some are from members just too darned egotistical to believe anyone else. Can't tell them either, they usually don't want to know, or go on about how they'll fight it all the way to the SCOTUS. Not that they do when someone "of authority", usually a high priced lawyer, sets them straight.

Just wondering if you have any such stories? Any "common" beliefs you've encountered?

2. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

I've corrected more than one deputy and an FBI agent on the legality of carrying a firearm into a bank.

3. raven11

raven11

i know this kid who believed that since he has a mental disorder (mild case of autism) he can own a silencer in Illinois:headscratch:

weird thing is they still gave him a FOID card:headscratch:

4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I have "brest" stories, but they're not for GT. :rofl: :tongueout:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

A kid I worked with was always going on about entrapment. The best was that if you ever get caught drinking a beer while you are under age just put your thumb over the hole in the can. They can't prove you are drinking if they can't see that the can is open. If they make you move your thumb that is entrapment. He missed a lot of work because he was in court fighting another ticket for something.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Well, yeah. No one likes the French.

7. Swiper

Swiper

The most common misconception is that 'the bill of rights' does not apply to military personnel. In my work I get to see a lot of violations of Soldiers' basic civil rights, especially in relation to the 1st, 4th, and 5th Amendments.

8. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

Growing up, loads of people believed that one could more or less execute a tresspasser, pull them into an open door, or into a window, and the police would HAVE to think you were justified in the killing....right....

when pressed about not letting a soul see you do it, or leaving evidence, they change their tune about it.

I am innocently out......:cool:

9. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I took on several dozen cities, and then the California Fire Marshal's Association's lawyers over a difference in opinion of the law. (I argued their adoption of certain laws were in conflict with state law.) Beat their pants, the state attorney General's Office issued an opinion based largely on my position paper. A clarifying law and a position paper by the State Fire Marshal were finally issued as a result of my actions.

Several times a year local Fire Departments try to adopt similar laws, and I will get calls to intervene.

Have also taken on several counties, and state bureaucracies, arguing that their interpretation or application of the law is incorrect, and won numerous times.

And in all these cases I had not been cited, fined, or otherwise under penalty from these agencies.

I have also consulted with several law firms in areas of of specificity to assist them in understanding the law.

I am not a lawyer, but I pretend I am one more frequently that I am comfortable with.

My current employer spends a lot on legal fees, but use me to handle a host of of legal issues , though when I get outside my core specialties, I remind my boss he gets what he pays for when he uses me instead of a lawyer.

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Heck. Most of them peeps are right here on GT. :rofl:

11. hpracing007

hpracing007

I know some folks who believe if you ask "Are you a cop?" before an act of prostitution, that they would be in the clear.

I also know some people who think it's okay to the talk to the police, god help them :rofl:

12. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Donnie Baker ftw! State Law ;) Supergrin:

3 local attorney offices keep me on retainer. I've even been an 'expert witness' :rofl:

13. Remander

Remander

Heard a lot of them.

Perhaps the dumbest related to a prior policy of our state police to wear "Smoky" style hats any time outside of the car.

Plenty of dummies believed that you could walk from any charge made by a state trooper who was not wearing his hat.

Imagine the luck of the murderer who was captured just as the trooper's hat blew off.

14. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

I once had a guy who had broken into a house.

He entered the house through a window where there was a window air conditioner.

He trips a silent alarm and the police show up. They take him into custody.

He goes to court and tells the judge that he "ain't pleadin' to **** because the po-lice didn't see me break into no house."

He was absolutely certain that since they didn't see him do it, even though they caught him in the house with things in his pockets that weren't his, he couldn't be found guilty. He made quite an *** of himself in court over this point. I believe he's still got another couple years to go before the parole board will see him.

:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  15. Scott3670

Scott3670

Many years ago I arrested a tool for being an ex-felon in possession of a gun. He argued in court that the only way he could protect himself from a drug dealer who wanted to kill him (he stole some cash from him) was to get a gun and kill the dealer first. The moron got 15 years courtesy of the Feds for his trouble.

16. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Many, many years ago I moved to Washington from Florida, drove around on my FL license for a few months. During that time I got pulled over for speeding in Clyde Hill, a PD notorious for traffic enforcement on a particular stretch of road. Well, it turns out that while my FL license was good, Massachusetts took issue with some unpaid tickets from my misspent teenage years and suspended my license so I got a ticket for driving on a "suspended" license, despite the fact that my FL license was in good standing. The ticket actually required me to show in court, it was a misdemeanor, and I foolishly accepted a public defender for the "trial."

He is my example.

I didn't meet this guy until five minutes before I was supposed to go before the judge, he comes up to me in the seats of the court room and after introducing himself tells me he's going to plead me to a $1k fine and and two weeks in jail, which I may or may not have to serve. I looked at him like he was a purple monkey from mars and asked if he'd even read the charge or the PC. He started sputtering some BS, and I told him to forget it, I'd represent myself.

Two minutes later the Bailiff calls me (Bellevue District Court was pretty sleepy back then).

I stood before the judge and told my story honestly: I was working barely above minimum wage and trying to get caught up on my obligations. When I got the ticket I was on my way to work, not out clubbing or something, and respectfully filled him in on the FL vs MA license issue. He listened to me, asked who was representing me and I told him "No one" while he looked directly at the public defender. Then came the verdict:

"Mr. Carbuncle (name changed to protect the innocent), we'll reduce the fine to $100 and remove this from the record once it's paid, are you able to pay today?"

"Yes, your honor."

Done. No thanks to one lazy jackass public defender who couldn't be bothered to look at the case, just ran on autopilot based on what he thought was going on. Funny, he wouldn't look me in the eye when I walked by him on the way to pay the cashier...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  17. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

In my younger teenage days I remember people telling me that when you bought pot from someone you ask them if they are a cop. The reason being that if they are a cop, and you ask them if they are, they are legally obligated to tell you they are. Obviously not true, but it was a strong belief among many teenage and older potheads in the area. Thank god those days are behind me, I liked the buzz but couldnt handle the paranoia or munchies.

18. armorplated

armorplated

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  19. Adams454

Adams454

I know lots of people that swear they know everything about the law because they live next to/ are related to/ or know a cop. When I show them the actual statute, which doesn't care who they know, they still argue.

20. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Yeah, I remember that one very well!!!