close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's wrong with "dumping oil" in the ground?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PBCounty, Mar 24, 2010.

1. PBCounty

PBCounty

Let GT inform me, as I honestly do not know.

What's wrong with pouring motor oil into the ground after changing vehicle oil?

While I have never done it (I always take my containers to the local auto shop for disposal), everyone else did when I was a little kid. My dad, my uncles, my grandfathers, they all just dug a little hole and poured the used motor oil right in. These guys were also outdoorsman / conservationist types. It was the norm. Some people I still know today dump their oil into their own yard.

So, I ask.....what is the potential consequence (beyond legal) for doing such?

2. juswes

juswes Team Red

Im taking a wild gander at this. Motor oil pollutes your drinking water.

3. hpracing007

hpracing007

It can contaminate our water supply, mess up our eco system, lots of bad stuff.

If every single person dumped like 5 gallons of used motor oil a year, think of how much that would be!

What I've always wondered is what they do with the used oil when you dispose of it properly :dunno:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

motor oil is loaded full of metals, contaminants, fuel... bad news.

5. fifty2you

fifty2you Bad guy

:rofl:

6. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

Because in a million years, that oil will become a dinosaur.

7. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

It came out of the ground, didn't it?

8. fifty2you

fifty2you Bad guy

:wow::faint:

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Only a portion. It's the additives and worn parts of the engine that's the real killer. And you don't really thing that oil reserves are three feet down, do you? HH

10. dac1204

dac1204

They turn around filter, clean it then sell it as oil again.

"You can make a difference by recycling your used motor oil.

Did you know used oil can be re-refined into base stock for lubricating oil.

If you recycle just two gallons of used oil it can generate enough electricity to run the average household for almost 24 hours.

Cars are an indispensable fact of life for most of us. So, too, are abundant and clean supplies of drinking water. What we do with the used oil from our cars plays an important role in balancing our desire for convenient transportation with our desire for a clean and healthy environment today and for future generations.

We are all familiar with recycling newspapers, aluminum cans and glass and plastic bottles, but you may not be aware of the efforts of the petroleum industry and other groups to promote used motor oil recycling: providing convenient collection sites for the purpose of keeping used motor oil out of our waterways and ground water supplies and getting used oil into the recycling system."

ETA: Floridas water already taste like s*** it doesnt need oil in the ground too.

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

You should ask my neighbor. He buried a dead horse on his property right over our subdivision's aquifer. Cost him over $175K to have us all hook up to municipal water. HH

12. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

13. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Because I have/drink well water and I don't want to taste your small block 350. :)

14. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

Came out of the ground, but not out of your drinking water. Oil is found much deeper naturally than water we drink usually. Normally, in the ground they don't mix, or else they wouldn't use it as drinking water anyways.

Just save it and put a few drops in every glass of water you drink, it'll be gone before you know it and give you the same effect.

15. PBCounty

PBCounty

I guess I just don't see how it would screw with the water beyond what already is. Around here, our septic tanks and drain fields are often adjacent to our wells and only fourteen feet or so in elevation difference. (I don't know anyone who drinks the water around here BTW, we / they bathe in it though)

16. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. Nords

Nords

18. PBCounty

PBCounty

So, is it the metals (in the oil) that is the issue?

19. PBCounty

PBCounty

I am simply curious as to why....that is all. I am not motivated to dump any oil or anything else. I am only curious as to why it is a bad idea.

20. Mungrol

Mungrol Wanabe Like RTN

http://www.ehow.com/about_6077331_motor-oil-affect-earth_.html

According to the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, "Americans spill 180 gallons of used oil each year into the nation's waters." The organization deems used motor oil as "the largest single source of oil pollution in lakes, streams and rivers" in the United States. Used motor oil has a negative impact on the environment by polluting surface and ground water, reducing the availability of clean water for humans, animals and plant life.
    1. The Facts
    2. Motor oil enters the nation's waterways by two primary means. Oil that leaks from cars onto streets and parking areas enters storm drains and is discharged directly into surface waterways. Oil improperly disposed of on land surfaces leaches into the soil and contaminates ground water. The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection notes that the amount of motor oil spilled each year into U.S. waters "is sixteen times the amount spilled by the Exxon Valdez."Significance
    3. As observed by the Auburn University Environmental Education Extension, motor oil contains inherent toxic chemical and additive properties that are hazardous to humans, plants and animals. In addition, used motor oil picks up additional toxic elements from vehicle engines. This organization notes that the environmental effects of motor oil are a concern in both air and water quality.Considerations
    4. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the largest single source of oil pollution in the nation's water supplies comes from do-it-yourself oil changes. The American Petroleum Institute estimates that "60 percent" of those who change their own oil dispose of it improperly. The EPA notes that the motor oil "from a single oil change[​IMG]" disposed of improperly can contaminate "one million gallons of fresh water."Prevention/Solution
    5. Giving prompt attention to vehicle oil leaks is one means of preventing environmental motor oil contamination. Miami-Dade Environmental Resources recommends four effective measures do-it-yourself oil changers can follow to prevent motor oil pollution: Avoid oil spills while changing oil; refrain from pouring used oil on the ground or into storm drains; avoid disposing of used oil in household trash containers; and take used motor oil to a recycling facility.Warning
    6. Penalties for irresponsible disposal of used motor oil can include steep fines and even imprisonment. In Texas for example, according to the city of Midland, intentionally dumping used motor oil can draw fines from $1,000 to $50,000 and up to five years' imprisonment for each day the violation has occurred.

And as far as what happens to itwhen recycled.. it can be turned into fuel oils or used as a raw material for the refining and petrochemical industries.