GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Several, several years ago the .32 acp was considered to be an *almost* equal self defense round to the .380 acp. However, the .380 has evolved and is now a much more capable self defense round than the .32. Personally, I would like to see the .32 evolve to its maximum efficiency load. Pocket rocket extraordinaire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
...and notice he didn't include .22LR as an option, even though plenty of people have been killed by it.
I once saw a baby browning shooting 50 grain full metal jacket into a problem porcupine.6 shots in less than 2 seconds at about 15 feet. It really tore that animal up. I would not have liked to be the the recipient of that cartridge/pistol combo. I believe the result would have been the same with a 22 long rifle.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Rim lock if using hollowpoints in a regular magazine.
Made me get rid of my Tomcat
Smart move...you didn't let it hang around until the frame cracked...at maybe 300 rounds.

Is true though, .32acp is an FMJ only round.

·
Directiv 10-289
6,828 Posts
Haven't experienced rimlock in three different jhp loadings thus far with beretta 81. Granted, the tomcat is a single stack
It rarely happens if you load the magazine carefully. But it can happen.

I set it up to see if I could quickly clear it. I could not.

could not drop the magazine. You have to push back the 2nd round from the top. You need a tool to do that.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Sounds like a 22 LR derringer is perfect.
I had a .22 derringer, actually a .22 WRM High Standard DAO. It was reliable, as not all are, and accurate enough at card table ranges with the Smoke 'em Joe technique. I traded it off when I realized I was depending on two shots for self defense just because it was easy to carry.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,453 Posts
Several, several years ago the .32 acp was considered to be an *almost* equal self defense round to the .380 acp. However, the .380 has evolved and is now a much more capable self defense round than the .32. Personally, I would like to see the .32 evolve to its maximum efficiency load. Pocket rocket extraordinaire.
It already has. It's called. 327 Federal Magnum and it's a very stout round. Up to 1500 fps and 500+ ft/lbs.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I can remember when the 32 was king of the carry guns. I have a couple of 32acp carry guns that I still carry every once in a while. HOWEVER, the reason it isn't the caliber of choice is because we have 380 guns that are almost the same size now. Why carry a 32 when it's about as easy to carry a 380?

And a Ruger LCPII (in 380) is cheap to buy also.
This.

And if it penetrates far enough to be effective under less than ideal conditions, it's only because it didn't expand which leaves it at the .32 diameter.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#32ACP

9mm while only marginally larger, expands more and is still able to penetrate more. My personal minimum is a .38 SPL +P in a j-frame with ammunition designed to perform from the shorter barrel.

That being said, I'd take a .32 ACP over a pointy stick or .25

Reactions: Rocks

·
Enigma
2,504 Posts
Those are not unequivocal examples applicable to every situation.
IME two or three more examples would not change anything.
Those content with a pocket 32/380 rationalize examples as inapplicable.
Rather than look at the two videos and think of reasons they do not apply, an alternative would be "dang, two examples where a guy took hits and did not stop" I might have to defend against a hard to stop attacker(s).
But those content with a pocket gun will rationalize the videos inapplicable because they don't work in a liquor store, or they are not a cop, so those examples are inapplicable to them. A couple more videos, those are not going to matter either.

...and notice he didn't include .22LR as an option, even though plenty of people have been killed by it.
Killed by it does not infer quickly incapacitating.
In SD the goal is ASAP incapacitation, if attacker is not quickly stopped but dies hours later after inflicting crippling or lethal damage to the defender that is not a win.

I had a Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT in the past, for when I could not carry better.
Chrono averages:
32 acp - 65 gr. Hydra Shok @ 804 fps / 93# KE
380 - 90 gr. Hydra Shok @ 845 fps / 143# KE

Contrast that to the minimum calibers I carry now:
Glock 23: Federal HST 180 gr. @ 1003 fps / 402# KE
Glock 32: Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps / 512# KE

If one can do not better because work attire, like me before, then a pocket gun is situationally the best they can do and that is understandable. Not wanting to carry (or dress for) something larger when one can/could is completely different.

Whats wrong with 32 acp?
- It lacks ASAP potential compared to larger & more powerful calibers.
- 32 ammo that penetrates at least 12'' & consistently expands from a pocket gun?

If you had to defend yourself against a armed attacker (possibly hard to stop like in the videos) would you rather have a 32 acp in your hand or a 9mm/40/45 - whatever.
Strive to carry* what you would prefer to defend yourself with, if its a 32 thats your choice.

*Concealable handgun is implied, a Glock 19/23 is concealable a rifle or shotgun isn't.

·
Enigma
2,504 Posts
And which would you want when you can no longer beg, borrow or steal 9mm, .45acp ammo? Sure you can reload-but reloads in SD/HD is begging for trouble...

And how many guns are in 10mm? And what if your wife needs to use the10mm HD gun?
32 acp won't be an option because we don't have 32.

I've got 10mm Glock 20SF, 29SF and 1911's (Ruger, Kimber, Colt)
My wife could handle the 20SF if need be, but that won't be necessary.

Her carry gun is a Glock 21SF (45 acp) which she chose after shooting the 21SF along with a Glock 22, Glock 19, Shield 9mm, Kahr P9 and 9mm 1911.

shooting.jpg

There would be a wall stacked like in the 300 movie before we ran out of 9mm HP
Then still have HP in 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 45 acp ;)

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
IME two or three more examples would not change anything.
Those content with a pocket 32/380 rationalize examples as inapplicable.
Rather than look at the two videos and think of reasons they do not apply, an alternative would be "dang, two examples where a guy took hits and did not stop" I might have to defend against a hard to stop attacker(s).
But those content with a pocket gun will rationalize the videos inapplicable because they don't work in a liquor store, or they are not a cop, so those examples are inapplicable to them. A couple more videos, those are not going to matter either.

In SD the goal is ASAP incapacitation, if attacker is not quickly stopped but dies hours later after inflicting crippling or lethal damage to the defender that is not a win.

I had a Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT in the past, for when I could not carry better.
Chrono averages:
32 acp - 65 gr. Hydra Shok @ 804 fps / 93# KE
380 - 90 gr. Hydra Shok @ 845 fps / 143# KE

Contrast that to the minimum calibers I carry now:
Glock 23: Federal HST 180 gr. @ 1003 fps / 402# KE
Glock 32: Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps / 512# KE

If one can do not better because work attire, like me before, then a pocket gun is situationally the best they can do and that is understandable. Not wanting to carry (or dress for) something larger when one can/could is completely different.

Whats wrong with 32 acp?
- It lacks ASAP potential compared to larger & more powerful calibers.
- 32 ammo that penetrates at least 12'' & consistently expands from a pocket gun?

If you had to defend yourself against a armed attacker (possibly hard to stop like in the videos) would you rather have a 32 acp in your hand or a 9mm/40/45 - whatever.
Strive to carry* what you would prefer to defend yourself with, if its a 32 thats your choice.

*Concealable handgun is implied, a Glock 19/23 is concealable a rifle or shotgun isn't.
Okay, thanks. Didn't change a thing. Still going to carry my .32

·
Free Full Clip!
17,103 Posts
Well, I pocket carry my P365 with 12 round mag all day without a problem.

You must either have pants with really big pockets or you have really small hands for there to be enough room in your pocket for both your gun in that big holster and your hand to access the gun.

Seriously, what kind of pants do you wear that has big pockets? I wear wrangler cargo pants and the pockets aren't big enough. Their cargo shorts have bigger pockets but I never wear shorts.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You must either have pants with really big pockets or you have really small hands for there to be enough room in your pocket for both your gun in that big holster and your hand to access the gun.

Seriously, what kind of pants do you wear that has big pockets? I wear wrangler cargo pants and the pockets aren't big enough. Their cargo shorts have bigger pockets but I never wear shorts.
At best medium sized hands maybe a bit smaller. Cargo pants/shorts or jeans I'm fine. No skinny jeans here.
I don't have any problems. The P365 is the same size as a G42 but heavier. You can't pocket carry a G42?
OI'veread others here pocket carry a P365.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glock-g42-vs-sig-sauer-p365

Reactions: Borg Warner

·
Free Full Clip!
17,103 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well said. This right here sums up how I make my decisions regarding a carry gun and ammo. Sometimes I'll trade off one benefit for another (i.e. concealability for capacity & caliber), but my minimum is .38PL +P in a S&W 642 (Gold Dot Short being my carry load). If I can conceal it, and I usually can, it's a compact .40 S&W with HSTs in it.

Reactions: CDW4ME
101 - 120 of 168 Posts