GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
32 acp is okay as a mouse gun where deep concealment is the main priority. But 32 acp is a poor choice in any other scenario. You can get the exact same size gun in 380 acp and go from 125 to 190 foot pounds of energy. A slightly larger single stack 9mm will give you 350 foot pounds of energy.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,497 Posts
Smaller than .380, less powerful, harder to find, and fewer current production guns chambered for it. Most people think "why bother?"

Less powerful than the .380, but when the power of both loads is so low, I'm not sure that really makes much difference. Both are a step up from the .22s and .25s. I'd rather have a .32 hardball that will penetrate than a .380 hollowpoint that might penetrate. .380 hardball might overpenetrate. Not likely, but more likely than with the .32.

I like the .32. Much more pleasant to shoot in guns like the PP series/HSC/Beretta 80 series & other classic pocket pistols. Rimlock not really an issue with FMJ rounds, where the loaded round fills the magazine. (Possible, but historically does not seem to have been a problem.)
I disagree with the "harder to find" argument. Seems like .32 auto is about the only thing I'm seeing on the shelf everywhere I've been lately.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a box of .32acp sitting on my table doing not a darn thing. No weapon to shoot it as the Walther PPK was sold years ago.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
32 acp is okay as a mouse gun where deep concealment is the main priority. But 32 acp is a poor choice in any other scenario. You can get the exact same size gun in 380 acp and go from 125 to 190 foot pounds of energy. A slightly larger single stack 9mm will give you 350 foot pounds of energy.
And larger dia bullet, flat points are also available, important in solids

·
Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect
6,271 Posts
The Keltec P32 is the lightest easiest to carry & conceal pistol that I have so I find myself carrying it often. I have some European made hardball that’s some pretty hot stuff for what it is. Anyone who says 32 ain’t nothing just go stand in front of one and let me know how it works out

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
32 ACP is actually 312 caliber. 380 comes in the same size pistols and shoots a heavier 355 caliber bullet faster. I usually carried FMJ in my 32s and 380s. Not really enough power to expand and adequately penetrate so FMJ for the penetration and easy feeding. 32 and 380 were pretty much the standard police cartridges in Europe before, during and after WW2 all the way into the 1970s. Terrorists incidents eventually led to their police upgrading their sidearms and also issuing some HK MP-5s, Berretta Model 12s and M4 carbines. I have seen several Walther PP pistols that had been German police issue and were sold as surplus. Every 32ACP I had functioned reliably. Not so with every 380.

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,054 Posts
I've mentioned this before but was called out to a shooting. We got there and a 14 year old girl had been shot in the back 4 times with a .32. We had a hard time convincing her that she needed to go to the hospital. At the time, I was just happy she hadn't been shot with a .38 Special, or larger caliber. Ever since, I've never been much of a fan of the .32. I've seen way more than my share of GSWs, gunshot wounds, but I'm certainly no expert. It's just my opinion, and everybody knows what opinions are like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have a couple of .32 pistols, a Beretta 81 and a Zastava M70. They’re very soft shooting, and I enjoy range time with them. I don’t carry either one though. When I need a small, lightweight carry pistol, the G42 gets the call.

·
woo woo
30,332 Posts
Most people seem to think .22mag punches above its weight, .32acp will typically match .22mag with better ignition reliability.
In my Beretta 81, 60gr xtps do about 1100fps with fiocchi loaded stuff.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
They started making small 380s.

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts

·
Venor ergo sum
3,315 Posts
I have wanted a Seecamp for many years, just never got around to buying one.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I disagree with the "harder to find" argument. Seems like .32 auto is about the only thing I'm seeing on the shelf everywhere I've been lately.
Yeah, I snapped up a bunch from TargetSportsUSA just before they too disappeared. Bigger stuff was gone, and the .32 price hadn’t jumped much, if any.

But I think that’s a byproduct of the current ammo buying rush.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts