What's with the prices on Dell computer components?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sjfrellc, Aug 5, 2007.

1. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Did you ever see mispriced components listed on bargain sites like spoofee.com and buy it. Does Dell ever refuse the sale on the basis of they are not responsible for typographical errors?
    Like this:
    Dell Small Business has the following system for $619 shipped.

- Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core, 2GB DDR2
    - 160GB SATA, 16x DVD-Rom
    - 128mb nVidia GeForce 8300GS Graphics

1. click here here to go to Dell Small Business.
    2. Search and Add bdcwyfz ( Price : $619 )
    3. Change the following
    - Under Processor, Select Q6600 [+$190]
    - Under Monitor, Select "I will select a 27in" [-$190]
    Final Price : $619 Shipped

When you click on the options for CPU the Q6600 quad core was only $190 and the Core 2 Duo E6700 was $340 more. Somewhat obvious typo.

Have you ever gotten a deal that way, or does Dell catch hold of the typo and deny the order when the multiple orders come through after the bargain sites tell everybody?

Overall it seems like Memory, CPU's and components are quite marked up. Why would anyone pay $370 for upgrading to 4gb 4 dimms, when it would only cost $70 to get two new sticks of memory at Newegg? And add $90 to go from 160gb harddrive to 250gb. Can adding memory or a new hard drive really be that hard?(I know the answer of course I'm only being rhetorical).

2. squidville_1975

squidville_1975

Your post shows how "much" you know about computers. The price on this is actually pretty good. I bet you cannot build an identical system for less. As for the CPU option, that is not a typo. There's a lot of posts about this deal on one of the boards that I frequent. As for the RAM, your system will not even recognize more than 3G if ou're running a 32-bit OS - WHY EVEN BOTHER WITH 4G? Yes, tell the thousands who ordered this particular PC that they don't know anything about computers - YOU RULE!

3. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

I ordered one before my post. Was wondering why the quad core was much less than the C2D. See prices at bottom. Why is that?

Intel® Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)

1 FREE Upgrade! 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

1 Dell USB Keyboard

1 128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS

1 Free Upgrade from 80GB to 160GB (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

1 13 in 1 Media Card Reader

1 Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic

They didn't offer Vista home Premium, Ultimate was $200 more
    and they didn't offer a decent deal on the graphics card, probably should have skipped buying one.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB) [add $140]
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB) [add $340]
    Intel® Core™ 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) [add $190]
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E4400 (2MB L2 Cache,2.0GHz,800FSB) [Included in Price]
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6320 (4MB L2 cache,1.86GHz,1066FSB) [add $40]
    Intel® Core™ 2 E6420 Duo Processor(4MB L2 cache,2.13GHZ,1066FSB) [add $90]

4. squidville_1975

squidville_1975

If your PC hasn't shipped yet, call the Dell Business CSR and have your OS upgraded to Vista Home Premium - it's free with the the 9200, but you have to call. You're welcome. ETA: Did you realize that this configuration does not come with a DVD burner? It's comes with a DVD ROM

5. Altaris

Altaris

You can get Home Premium on any system that has the Vista option. For whatever reason it is not on our webpage. I have to add it on myself all the time when people ask me.

With the procs. Intel came to one of our big meetings a few months ago and said they would be lowering the price of quad core to almost that of dual core, which is the reason you are not seeing that much of a price difference. And you are comparing it against the top core 2 duo proc. The top line of any component is always going to be a lot more than the next lowest one.

Also, Dell can refuse shipment on any item if it is listed incorrectly...that is if they catch it.
    I know one day over a year ago, the web had an error for about 40min where you could get a system with monitor for $49. If you removed the monitor, it was -1$, you had to add an optical mouse to get it positive. So in the end you could buy a comp with optical mouse for $9. Quite a few employees tried to buy it themselves. Most got canceled, but a few people actually got theirs.

6. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

That is my concern and why I originally posted a question. I can't imagine they wouldn't catch it if that special configuration is over subscribed.

So do I call customer service and tell them to upgrade to Premium? And draw attention to what I suspect is a typo?

Thanks for the suggestion Squid. I really don't want to spend another $150 to upgrade to Vista Home Premium and wiping the hard drive and installing a new OEM Vista Premium for $110 is a little more work than I wanted to do incase of glitches.
    I figured to Add a DVD burner of my own.

7. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I believe that Altaris is an employee of Dell and that the price listed is not a typo. You may also upgrade to Home premium directly from windows through the computer if you decide to go that route.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It looks like under the small business section Vista Home Premium is not available on many systems as it is in the home and home office section. Vista Home Basic, Business and Ultimate are available on some systems in the small business section. I ordered a laptop from the small business section because the memory upgrade was cheaper at the time. If you want a choice of systms with Vista Home Premium you should look in the home and home office section.

9. squidville_1975

squidville_1975

Dell Business will upgrade to Vista Premium for free, but you have to call the CSR. Everyone at a board that I am a member have done this and they already received their computers with Premium loaded. The only reason I did not pull the trigger on this deal is I already have two new computers and cannot justify (to myself) buying another one.

10. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Yep - there's not all that much difference between pricing for the dual and quad-core at 2.4Ghz, but the 2.6Ghz dual core is really pushing the limits for that part, as I understand it, and there are very very few coming off the line that can sustain that speed, so you're paying extra for the very fastest, hand-picked, chips.

there are still a TON of applications out there that don't multi-thread worth a darn, or do dual-core reasonably well, but get no advantage from multi-core, and people who really need those running fast will pay quite a bit for the fastest actual clock speed available.

Thus the pricing for the very fastest clock speed is often well above that for a more-common chip. Same thing was true when the very fastest P4's were more expensive than dual-core chips at somewhat lower clocks.

11. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Not sure what you are trying to say here. I called customer service today through small business and they said no Premium for you: no ability to upgrage to premium at all, no we're not offering anything. E510 units or such can do it but not 9200 at all.:sad:

12. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

There is a feature in windows called "Windows Upgrade Anytime" where you can purchase an "upgrade" directly from Microsoft.

13. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Yes, EAjugallo that's probably what I'm going to do for two machines.