close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's with the lack of 22LR conversion kits

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JoeInKS, Jan 31, 2010.

1. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Jeez, I'd love to be the company that makes conversion kits for a Glock these days since the demand seems to be ridiculous. guess that Advantage Arms has to be the luckiest company right now in this economy.

Would love to know how many thousands of orders are backlogged.

2. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

Well, they're back ordered because they're in such demand and the small company can't keep up with the demand. You'd think they'd step it up, get caught up and make bank. I love my kit!

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I suppose the reliability of the kits and the cost of centerfire ammo may have something to do with the interest.
    I put about 100 rounds through mine today. No kit related problems using Rem GB. Did have one bad primer.

4. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

I have 3 Ciener kits and I need a couple more. They are fun to shoot and it keeps me from having to reload so much.

Paul

5. Klaatu

Klaatu Silver Member

Have been looking on-line for a new L.E. 19-23 kit myself but have found only outrageous prices or out of stock notices so I'm with you on this one. Even used kits are commanding premiums over MSRP. Reminds me of Harley-Davidson prices and availability of years past.

E-mailed Advantage Arms regarding the situation but don't expect to hear back, frankly. You'd think they'd want the goodwill generated by satisfying demand but profits must be of a higher priority. Could be too that they don't want to pull a Toyota by growing too fast and letting quality control suffer.

Ciener kits are an alternative but their rep isn't exactly stellar from the forums posts I've read.

Maybe it's better to just buy a dedicated .22 and go through another FFL NICS. Overall cost appears comparable for a decent weapon.

6. duo02

duo02

I'm on week 13 for my advantage arms conversion kit for my glock 17 its a big wait list.....

7. lindertw

lindertw

hmmm... I have a 19/23 LE kit (w/Warren Tactical sights) that's been collecting dust; I need to get out and shoot it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. tinman517

tinman517

LOL . . . I just finished loading 10 AA mags. Going to the range in a few.

Dust your kit off and shoot that sucker. :tongueout:

9. Klaatu

Klaatu Silver Member

Just ordered an L.E. 19-23 Glock Conversion Kit - With Cleaning Kit and extra mag from Streicher's Inc. as they're listed as a distributor. Sales rep said 6-8 weeks for delivery but am not holding my breath. No problem as long as credit card isn't charged until shipment.

One distributor in IL told me AA won't discount sales to distributors so there's not enough profit in it for them.

10. JimmyN

JimmyN

They've been in big demand for a long time. I bought the AA kit for my G19 in 2004, and they were hard to find in stock even then. Suppliers would get a shipment in but they would sell out in a couple days, and it would be 2~3 weeks wait till the next shipment arrived.

And I thought having to wait 3 weeks was bad....

But it's a good kit and I have put many, many thousands of rounds through it. It is what I offer to someone shooting for the first time, and they always love it. With the aluminum slide and only 10 rounds of .22 it is really light and easy for novices to hold at arms length without getting tired, it almost feels like a toy.

11. Flipz

Flipz

I think the biggest problem with AA is that they only work 4 hours a day and only 4 days a week. How could they possibly catch up with the demand if their not working more than 16 hours a week.

That said, I love my kit for my 17. It was worth the wait. Even though it only took about 5-6 weeks to get mine a month ago. Guess I got lucky.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  12. Klaatu

Klaatu Silver Member

Consensus is to keep it well lubed for optimal functioning. Has that been your experience too?

I've kept my Glock on the dry side (under lubed rather than over lubed) so am somewhat concerned that scattered lube when using the kit will somehow affect frame components in that dirt will accumulate (and gum up the frame works) more so than when not using the kit. So the trade-off of cheaper shooting will be more frequent maintenance.

13. krazey karl

krazey karl

have an A.A.for my g19-love it.great to practice with.i tried to get a 2nd mag a few months ago to practice reloads.when i called A.A.i got a recording saying there was a 14+wk. backlog on all orders.luckily the range i shoot at had a few in stock.you'ld think A.A. would farm some of the work out.

14. G26ster

G26ster

I ordered 2 more mags from AA last month. Had them is my hands 48 hrs later. I just ordered 5 more Friday. The back log is on complete kits, not mags.

15. chemboy

chemboy

I just bought one of the AA kits for my G21SF from Lone Wolf the other day.
    :supergrin:

16. Klaatu

Klaatu Silver Member

Am taking delivery of my L.E. 19-23 kit today after waiting nine weeks.

What brand of .22LR ammo have you guys found that works best in your AA kit? Ordered two Federal Champion AM22 boxes (325 rnds/bx) also from Streicher's Inc. but they said the wait will be months. Most users, despite cost, recommend CCI Mini Mags but availability is an issue there also. Other issue with CCI Mini Mags is that there are two loads: Mini-Mag HV (0030) and Standard velocity (0032). AA recommends CCI but no "hyper velocity or standard velocity." Rather confusing.

Thinking about just settling on Remington Golden Bullets as a compromise as they're also recommended by AA and appear to be widely available.

17. Flipz

Flipz

Remington Golden Bullets are your best bet. Theyre cheap and they function the best out of all the different ones Ive tried, which is a lot.

BTW, I see you have a Diana RWS 34. I used to have an RWS Model 52 in .22. I should have never sold it. Great rifle, but it was really heavy and I just never used it.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  18. ken grant

ken grant

AA Kits
    19/23
    20/21

All work well with Mini-Mags and Rem. G.B. but nothing else so far as I have tried. All others gives me failures to extract and bends the rd. trying to feed.

The G.B.'s have a few duds and weak sounding rds. but at least the kits will extract them when they fire and you don't mess up a new rd. trying to feed.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  19. zebramochaman

zebramochaman

Good luck with your wait. As of 5/1 I have been waiting 1 year.

20. Flipz

Flipz

Who did you order your kit from? I had mine in less than 7 weeks from the time I ordered it. I ordered mine in late January and had it mid March.

Your best bet is to order one from a local shop that you frequent. Ask them to call one of their distributors and see if they can find one. Thats what I did, and it worked out great.