What's with the big run on Sig P320s in 40s&w

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Trench Sweeper, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I decided the other day I would like one in 40 to go with my 9 and 45. Nothing local so I got on GB. Wow, not only is there not many but all are being bid on. I guess gone are the days when no one wanted a 320 or a 40 especially if it was both?
    What do you think is causing this run? 9mm cost and availability or something else?

2. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

I’m guessing a run on every caliber. Folks simply buying up what they can obtain.

.40 cals matter...

vikingsoftpaw, Lagamor, APERS and 5 others like this.

3. nerr

nerr

Your last sentence. Try to find 9mm anything: when it does become available, it's gone quickly. Other calibers which a few weeks ago were only ammo available are now getting sparse. I've seen 22 and 17hmr still available, but don't expect that to last either.

Riots, now cops getting pulled back and defunded. People are starting to figure out we are on our own.

Headshot11, APERS, CAcop and 3 others like this.
  4. Trench Sweeper

That's what I am thinking too but, just making sure there wasn't something I didn't know about

pag23 likes this.
  5. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

No worries. It’s hard to find much of anything right now. I’m
    Glad I got some items in advance of all this mess.

Glolt20-91 and Trench Sweeper like this.
  6. Trench Sweeper

Me too. It definitely isn't a need just my latest whim. Oh well, maybe in a few months

7. bac1023

bac1023

Everything is selling right now and 40S&W is much easier to find.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1

There no big run on p320 40sw . The problem is Sig only makes maybe 1 pistol in some other than a 9mm and thts an older nitron compact . Sig did show full nirtron in 40sw but not sure if they make that today models .

Sigs in the easy money makes 9mm's for the military and le . Also plenty of dressed up models for the match guys and sig's lossing interest in the rest of the caliber choices .

If I wanted a 40sw today I would buy a M&P or look at other brands , Not SIG . And I have carried a P320 40sw for the last 5.7 years but no more p320's .

9. jmohme

jmohme

It is truly a great feeling having a good inventory in my gun safe.

10. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

1 pistol in other than 9mm? P226, P229, P220 available in 9mm, 40, 357 Sig and in the case of the P220, 45 ACP. They don't have as broad a product line as some companies, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. And then add in different models of those series pistols I say the product line is sufficient from the manufacturer, maybe the problem is whoever is doing the ordering.

11. azdave

azdave

I won't speak for other areas than my own... southern AZ to include Phoenix & Tucson.
    There has been a "panic buying run" on guns since the virus shutdown started. Limited supply of 9mm & 40 auto's, and virtually NO ammo in those calibers. Revolvers, 45 & 10mm auto's till to be found, as well as ample ammo in 45 & 10mm and 'some" in 38/357.
    it started easing up a few weeks ago when the shutdown was lifting, a bit of common caliber ammo started reappearing, then the racial crap started!

It then went into overdrive.... now the panic buying has moved into AR's and anything defensive with shotguns. 223/556 and buckshot ammo can be added to the list.
    I saw a line almost 20 deep just to get to the counter in a Sportmans Warehouse about 2 weeks ago.... and the pistol racks (usually over 100 on display) was virtually empty.... these idiots were waiting in line and buying anything at that point.

Maybe it is different in other areas, or maybe some people just don't get out much or follow the news, but I can't see how anyone living in this area wouldn't be aware of this.
    It's worse than any other panic buying I've witnessed, and that is going back to the 94' AWB/Crime Bill.

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Limited supply (.40s don't sell in huge numbers normally so there isn't a huge supply) and overwhelming demand for anything that shoots boolits right now.

You think it's bad now, if Trump loses the election these shortages won't be over any time soon.

13. Davers

Davers

Thanks for the interesting read y'all.

Trench Sweeper likes this.
  14. 45caldan

45caldan

.40 anything is probably the easiest to find of all but truly nothing is easy now...

15. evlbruce

evlbruce

It's crazy. Had to make reservations to shoot mid-day on a Monday.

Trench Sweeper and Lagamor like this.
  16. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Now I want another p229 in 40sw..lol

17. SargeMO

SargeMO

This is the predictable consequence of a market tsunami.

FBI said 9mm is De New Schizz so everybody from Clueless Clem to large LE agencies switch to 9mm. This created a huge market for new 9mm guns and ammo and a used gun market flooded with 40 pistols. Gun and Ammo manufacturers adapt production accordingly.

I wouldn't expect to see a lot of new 40 caliber pistols on the market, anytime soon.

Trench Sweeper and CAcop like this.
  18. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

The last Tucson gun show before the shutdown was very busy, large quantity of inexpensive ARs were selling fast, people doing the NICS calls were on the phone non stop. Didn't need much of anything, looked at a few N-frames, but nothing really nice.

I bought a K98 late February at one our rural dealers, they even knocked down the price a little. Local feed store had some .300 Savage and I bought 3 boxes of ammunition. Have brass and dies, pretty well set up for now. :)

Trench Sweeper and reach147 like this.
  19. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

<ggg>
    If Trump WINS the Liberals are going to be buying everything in sight!

20. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Yeah...I think it is because of what seems like a second run on everything. My local stores were finally back in stock with firearms and ammo and then the riots started and they were cleaned out again of the usual suspects.

About the only defense ammo you could find is .40 and .357 SIG.