what's up with this primer pocket?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Big Bore Fan, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

Ok, I have a .204 that I don't really shoot a lot. It's used mostly for groundhogs and fox. I have been collecting brass for it to start reloading whenever I get around to it. I recently found out that the Federal ammo I have been using has been discontinued so I ordered 2 more boxes until I can get the supplies together to start loading. The problem is the new stuff I ordered has a different head stamp and the primer pockets look funny. The one one the right is the new stuff. Can anyone tell me why there's a difference?

2. ColoCG

ColoCG

That primer is crimped in. It can be removed with a normal resizeing and decapping die. The primer pocket must be reamed or swaged to remove the crimp before you can place a new primer. It's a standard military crimp. I don't know what it is doing on your round. Except most FC brass is crimped.

Last edited: May 1, 2012

3. dkf

dkf

I don't know why the primer pocket would be crimped on .204 Ruger. They make any semi or full auto rifles for that round. I have quite a bit of FC 30-06 brass and the primer pockets are not crimped.

4. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

Well that would explain the answer I received from Federal.

"There may have been a change in the load
    as far as staking the primer to help hold the primer in place in some of the
    newer auto feed firearms. Hope this helps."

But why crimp a .204? All of the older non crimped brass did fine.

5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

It will be interesting to see if the case can be reprimed without removing the 'crimp'. I have seen other Federal brass that has a more severe mark than the round on the left and less than the one on the right. I was able to reload them without swaging.

Richard

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

I think it's not only interesting that the primer is crimped in but that instead of saying "Federal" like most commercial brass is headstamped it says "F C" like you'd expect military brass to be headstamped.