What's too big?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by PistolWhip, Nov 28, 2005.

1. PistolWhip

PistolWhip Ammo Whore

I just started back to the gym a little over a month ago. I was off for quite a while after having some serious shoulder pain. Recently I started using No-Xplode and changed my diet for the better. I started out at about 185, today I got on the scale and I was looking at a BIG surprise. I was 195 and that was after only a week and a half of using the No-Xplode and new diet. I know for allot of you, 195 sounds average to even small, but I'm 5'8". My strength is WAY up and I am really getting noticeable results. My goal at first was 210 but I am starting to think that 210 is too big for my height. My % body fat is a little higher than I'd like it to be at right around 13%. Ideally, I would like to cut my body fat percentage to about 9-10% and like I said, my weight goal was 210.
    Any thoughts?

2. cj5

cj5

For me there is never a "too big" but that's jmo.

I say, keep your bodyfat low and go with it. everyone is different as to bulking or not - me I prefer not to as I loose too much muscle mass when dieting. so I try and stay w/ a clean diet all yr round. of course the holidays are here and I do get off the path during this time of year. besides, I don't compete anymore and do it for me now. You know your body best - listen to it.

Careful w/ that shoulder though - it will set you back again. I have had surgery on mine and like most - it'll never be the same. same w/ my knees - 6 surgeries, never the same. all this came from sports and bodybuilding in my younger yrs. youth is beautiful while it lasts - lol

best advice I can give is stay consistent - don't think of lifting as a sprint to get big but a marathoon to stay big.

good luck, hope I helped out or at least got you thinkin'

3. DBradD

DBradD

I wouldn't worry about it. You're bound to plateau soon, otherwise, you've discovered something that we should all be taking!

DBD

4. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

ive gone from 215 lbs of pure regular chubby guy to 245 lbs of manbeast in 6 months and have noticed dramatic strength gains.....it doesnt matter what your weight as long as you are fit......arnold schwarzanegger weighed 275 pounds during his prime at only around 6 foot....muscle rocks.....go for it dude....let out the manbeast in you...lol

5. PistolWhip

PistolWhip Ammo Whore

That is a good way to put it. I guess you guys are right about the plateau, but it seems that every time I take a break from training and then get back into it, my plateau (for weight gain anyway) goes higher. I have never been this heavy and as a wrestler pretty much all of my life, I was always VERY skinny. I graduated high school at 135 and 3.5% body fat. I guess I'm no spring chicken anymore, but I feel like I have never been stronger. Anyway, off to the gym;f
    By the way cj5, the shoulders are what usually end up causing my breaks in training. After making really good progress, I end up hurting again and having to stop for a while. I've been taking it easy on them and doing extensive warm up before every work out. I hope everything holds up this time.;g

6. DonCT

DonCT

Arnold is 6'2 and only rarely exceeded 235 by bulking up the few weeks prior to competition. He never competed heavier than 260.

Arnold's vital stats

It is also no longer in question that he was a serious steroid user, though that was not illegal at the time.[

7. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

it was lou ferigno i was thinking of....i watched the old bodybuilding flic with arnold and lou in it a while back and for some reason i got lou's weight confused with arnolds.....thank you for clarifying.....but i am still the manbeast...lmao

8. DBradD

DBradD

The guy I saw at the gym yesterday was the manbeastiest thing I've seen in years. He was doing bench press with a crossbar set up at chest height. He would lower the bar to this level and then relax for a few seconds and then press it slowly back up, 425 for a bunch of sets of 4-5. He's about 5'-8" and looked to weigh about 225-230 ripped. He was also doing incline bench with a long pause, 335 for a bunch of sets of 4-5. Awesome.

DBD

9. PistolWhip

PistolWhip Ammo Whore

Dam that's a pretty strong dude;P
    I guess we'll see, I'm still trying to pack on the pounds but my eating habits really need to increase. Right now I only eat two big meals a day. I really need to step up my calorie intake if I'm gonna hit 210. I was 193 today when I got weighed, seems like I'm going the wrong way, but that could be due to rapid fat loss and slower muscle growth. It'll be interesting, but like stated above, being able to maintain the weight is a better goal than just packing it on. I know I can get to 210, but I think maybe 200 or so is a more realistic goal to maintain. My job doesn't always allow me to eat the best or get the calories in that I need to keep my weight up.

10. Breeze

Breeze

PistolWhip - It took me 3 yrs to accept that mine will never be the same. I hope you have a better experience. I used to bench 405 for reps now the highest I go is 315, on occasion (still have that male ego thing goin on inside me), and I can feel it in my shoulder... alot. I won't get into how I train - that will only start a pissin contest, you will figure it out. don't be afraid to experiment with a variety of training methods. It will be hard to do but have you ever tried very high reps? It helps me from time to time. Gives my tendons a rest. Of course I never train as heavy as I used to. I am all banged up from very heavy lifting in my younger yrs. Guys my age now would always tell me that going as heavy as I did was not good on my joints, etc.... Of course I didn't listen, you gotta lift big to get big was my moto. got some ribbons, trophies and a lot of aches and pains from it. that was my price that I paid anyway. I'm startin to ramble - just stay consistant and that means staying injury free. Listen to your body... be strong mentally and physically. One last thing... diet for me is about 80% of the game.

Good luck bro

11. PistolWhip

PistolWhip Ammo Whore

Thanx for all the info Breeze, I know what you mean about the past catching up to you. When I was younger I was very small framed and was always cutting weight for wrestling which made me even smaller. Even at that though, I was going after the heaviest weight, trying throw the ball the farthest, run the fastest for the longest time etc.... All that ego caught up with me in a major way when I started getting bigger and my joints and tendons didn't like it too much. Then I started lifting "real" weight and ignored the signs of problems ahead, the shoulders didn't last long after that. I ended up out of the gym for a year. Now I am still going after heavier weights, but I think I'm doing it allot smarter. I'm paying attention to form and really listening to what my joints are telling me. If it feels bad, I stop and take a few pounds off. Once I get myself to the size and weight I want to be, I am going to cut my heavy days to once every two weeks per body part and try to get more reps in on the other training days.

12. Breeze

Breeze

sounds like you got it together.... sendin you a pm for what it's worth....

13. Mister Joshua

Mister Joshua Sig Addiction

10lbs in a week is not muscle mass - especially when you are taking vasodialator supplements (N02 Explode is basically sugar, Arginine, and creatine - with a 4x price tag). It's water (in fact, 10lbs is almost verbatim weight gain for most users of creatine).

195 is not "too big", for most people, but sometimes if you neglect stretching while trying to pack on mass, you can have circulation issues. I recently finished a brutal overhead pressing cycle where I added about 60lbs to my overhead press in a matter of twelve weeks or so... and I have had to get some pretty harsh massage therapy until the numbness started to go away. Afterwards, I have upped the stretching, and it has helped to fix the problem.

14. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

tell me more about your overhead press sets......how many sets?.....reps?......weight for each etc....thank you

15. cjp85

cjp85

I wouldn't worry at all about whats acceptable to other poeple, but that's just me. When you look into the mirror and are satisfied with the way you look and don't want more, that's when it's time to maintain what you have. I always want to be bigger though, so maintaining will probably never be part of my routine.

16. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Too Big!? Cant get to BIG. Get BIG or DIE Trying. ;c

17. Mister Joshua

Mister Joshua Sig Addiction

I'll do you one better - I wrote an article about it...

http://www.joshua-davis.com/index.php?refer=roadto300-1