close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's this thing you call "Hunting"?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Douglas in CT, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Douglas in CT

Douglas in CT Millennium Member

Hunting?
    What is it?
    With very few exceptions, it is unknown here in the Boston/DC coastal corridor.

The only thing I know about is perforating paper. ;)

2. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

its what we train for by perforating paper in the off season, also perforating laundry detergent jugs and cat litter jugs filled with water.

i passed two small deer up last evening...

3. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

so i can spend some 'me' time in a tree...

here is where i let two walk yesterday...a spike and a doe.
    i had the spike in my sights the whole time and decided he was too small...maybe nextyear for him.

if you look closely you can see something blue in my shooting lane, that is my scent bomb...i just happened on this spot yesterday, it was a nice day out in the woods, the deer passed right underneath my stand from behind me...you cant get that rush anywhere else.

4. MDT

MDT Glock21Love

Amen about the "me time". I love my wife, I love my kids, but I need some "me time" every now and then. Hunting is THE escape for me. And you are right, the rush you get is amazing. I was sitting in a tree the other day, sun just coming up, squirrels going nuts, and I heard FOOTSTEPS;a . I sat up, tried to be cool (didn't work) and waited. My heart was pounding.... and nothing. I think it was a coyote. The excitement was great. I love hunting!!

MDT

5. mudfootball

mudfootball

Home to my mediocre Redskins. Maryland is big on goose hunting you know. Thats quite a site to be honking up a storm and have a few hundred geese doing there best to get in your face. As for the heart pounding the other day i heard the FOOTSTEPS. absolute silence then a twig snap. end up being a mut of some sort walking in the woods across the draw. after he left though i was still shaking so mad from hearing the approach that i thought man, this cant be healthy
    youre missin out!

6. MDT

MDT Glock21Love

Mudfootball,

You know, deer/turkey hunting and waterfowl hunting are so different and yet so similar. I LOVE the action of goose/duck hunting. Seeing them come in, responding to either the flagging or decoys. Gliding in, cupping their wings and hearing the "Take 'em!". In contrast, the sheer silence of deer hunting and the "thinkin'about stuff, waiting for the big boy to show up".

I'll say it again... I love hunting.

MDT

7. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

I was in the woods on Friday morning, sitting on a stand I hadn't hunted in a while. I had already shot a deer the week before but as far as I was concerned that might as well have been last season. About 8:00 am I start to get drowsy from working the night before so I rest my chin on my chest for JUST A SECOND. "SNAP!" I look up to see a medium sized doe at the far end of the foodplot I'm hunting over. I knew right away I was going to let her walk on by. I had meat in the freezer already but my buddy hadn't even seen anything yet. I had hoped she would keep heading towards him but she turned and headed into the creek bed. I later found out my buddy saw her cross the creek too but couldn't get a shot. All this took maybe five minutes but that was the best five minutes of my week!

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Hunting means different things to different people. To me it's spending time outdoors enjoying nature, good company and if things work out a few meals or a pelt.

I get more spiritual benefits from hunting than anything else. Animals don't usually fall in your lap (although I do have a funny story about that) so it gives you time to think without the distractions of life. I get more out of 1 hunting trip than 12 years of Catholic school ever did.

9. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I can’t put it in words…

10. MDT

MDT Glock21Love

Michigun,

Is that a Draw Lock on your bow? (Crap, I think I just high jacked this thread.) Do you like it? We can't use one in Okla. unless physical condition prevents you from drawing.

My apologies to Douglas in CT.

MDT

11. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192606

It's a crossbow. I happened to read the earlier thread where Michigun was telling the tale of that deer and why the crossbow was used. Nice buck and a cool way to hunt!

12. Tvov

Tvov

Ask around at the local range or gun store, there are alot more hunters around in CT than you can imagine. Also, CT is CRAWLING with deer...Friends of mine just took two deer in their own backyard (bowhunting). As my friend mentioned, he sees no reason to leave CT to deer hunt, the last 5+ seasons he has filled his tags with no problem.

To gun hunt, it takes a bit of looking, and knowing the right people in order to hunt on private land (not a whole lot of state land is available for guns).

13. Guest

What is hunting? Hard to put that to words. To the responsible person, whether male or female, its really teh enjoyment of the outdoors and the creatures, not just mindless blasting away with a highpowered firearm into the bushes.
    I have had a lot of animals fall by my hand, everything from a tiny sparrow with a slingshot to a Elk with a .338 rifle. But often, when I go out in the woods, Im decked out in my camo, scent blocker stuff, my gun or bow in hand, and as I am sitting there, usually on the ground next to a tree, after a while the animals get used to your presense. And then you finally see your target, and often times i forget to shoot the critter until its to late! I cant tell you how many times I have let a deer or elk walk past simply because I was so absorbed in watching it, I forgot to shoot! Squirrels, have you ever had a chance to really watch a bunch of squirrels living thier little lives? Its hilarious, sometimes you will laugh so hard you'll scare them. Hunting is about more than shooting, its about being in Gods creation and enjoying it for what it is.
    Give it a try. Youll like it, I promise.

14. coboconk

coboconk

Hunting is the release of all the pressures of work, family, bills, and all the little things that you face everyday. You fall into a new set of pressures, noise, scent, wind, cold, swamps, and thickets, but they are a good cleansing kinds of pressure. Hunting brings you closer to what our ancesters did to put food on the table. It gives you a sense of pleasure at your succes, be it squirrel, rabbit, turkey, deer, etc.