close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's the youngest driver that you have caught?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

Driver, 11, among 3 killed in Tulare Co. crash
    Woodlake school official 'stunned' by students' deaths.
    Posted at 03:38 PM on Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2010
    By Eddie Jimenez / The Fresno Bee
    WOODVILLE -- Grief over the deaths of three Woodville residents in a traffic crash was mixed Wednesday with bewilderment over why one of the victims, an 11-year-old boy, was driving the car.

The California Highway Patrol reported that Jose Silva Covarrubias, a sixth-grader at Woodville Union Elementary School, was eastbound on Avenue 168 in a 1993 Honda on Tuesday evening when he ran a stop sign at Road 152. The Honda was struck broadside by a southbound 1999 Ford driven by Charles Seguin, 44, of Porterville.

Jose's mother, Maria Silva Covarrubias, 30, and her daughter, Elizabeth, 6, were thrown from the back seat into a nearby walnut orchard. Neither was wearing a seat belt, the CHP reported.

Froylon Zamora Gonzalez, 34, who was in the front seat, had major injuries and was airlifted to Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno. He was in critical condition late Wednesday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Seguin suffered minor injuries and was treated at the scene, officers said.

Felipe Zamora Gonzalez, brother of Froylon Zamora Gonzalez, said he had never seen Jose drive a vehicle and didn't know why the youngster would have been behind the wheel.

He said the four were returning from Jose's soccer team practice in Tulare.

The Zamora Gonzalez and Silva Covarrubias families shared a home east of Woodville, a small community between Porterville and Highway 99. Maria Silva Covarrubias' husband lives in Mexico, Zamora Gonzalez said.

CHP investigators have not been able to interview Froylon Zamora Gonzalez to learn why Jose was driving, said officer Stefanie Buck, who works in the CHP Porterville area office. It does not appear drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash, she said.

Buck, a 10-year CHP veteran, said fatal accidents involving a driver so young are rare.

"I've never come across one," she said.

The superintendent of Woodville Union School District said she was "stunned" to learn one of her students was the driver in the crash. Dondreia Bradley said putting a child in the driver's seat was out of character for Jose's family.

The Silva Covarrubiases are "simply a wonderful family," and include Jesse, a seventh-grader at the school, Bradley said. It was unknown Wednesday who would take care of Jesse.

Maria Silva Covarrubias was supportive of the students and the K-8 school, which has 565 students, she said.

Jose was "engaging, bright, well-thought-of," Bradley said. "He had many friends and was well-liked and well-respected by the teachers."

Elizabeth was "a very thoughtful, purposeful student, very bright," she said. The young girl was a great reader who loved school.

"Many, many people are just heartbroken," Bradley said.

Woodville is a close-knit community of about 1,700 people, most of whom are Hispanic farmworkers, she said.

Froylon Zamora Gonzalez works at a dairy south of Woodville. He was described by a company official, who did not want to be identified, as a likable and dependable employee.
    http://www.fresnobee.com/1100/story/1779567.html

2. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

My guess is mom and dad didn't have a license and punishment would be less severe for junior when they get stopped.

3. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Jesus, what a nightmare. I hate wrecks.

The youngest I've seen were 13-15.

4. ryanm

ryanm

12 and 11. Never did figure out which of them was driving.
    We were following a ford escape at 1AM, swerving all over the road.
    Blue lights turn on, the escape (moving at about 15MPH) shoves it into park and there is a bunch of movement inside.
    We approach cautiously... to find 2 12 year old girls and an 11 year old girl... all in the backseat!
    They thought it was a good idea to tell each others' parents they were staying with friend 1, sneak out, take Mom's car, and go to Wendy's to pick up guys.

We sent deputies to wake up the parents. Boy were they ticked when they found beds stuffed with clothes!

5. rico31v6

rico31v6

A 12 and 13 year old girl. Both were friends who had ran away from home because they thought they "had it rough." One took a parent's van before the mother arrived home. Ended up getting into a short chase with a neighboring agency who that the driver was possible DUI. Van ended up wrecking out on a country road, luckily the two were not injured.

6. madcitycop

madcitycop

14 for me so not really too young but still way too young.

7. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

11, and I had to chase him for about 5 minutes, although he made one big square several times before he pulled into his drive, hit the fence and started screaming for his Gramma. She came running out to see what was happening.
    Turns out she wanted him to stay outside so she gave him the keys and said, "Don't leave the street." Ended up citing her for allowing a minor to operate a motor vehicle.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

13. Snuck the car out to see what it was like... apparently, it was fun but very scary.

9. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I was driving a go kart around the neighborhood at age 9. At age 11, I started riding a motorcycle around.

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Pfffttt... amateur. When I was 8, I rode my KX100 dirtbike around the neighborhood and used the local park as my personal MX course... the city wasn't too happy about me tearing up the grass too much in the park as I did spins and wheelies in there, even if the wheelies weren't done on purpose.

11. metal

metal

Dang all I had was a Honda 50 mini trail. I'm sure gramps would have had a coronary had I taken the old family truckster out (Ford Country Squire wagon with a 460?) Mom had a Doge Demon. It only had a 340 though ;)

12. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

13-15 is fairly common around here.