What's the worst situation you've been in a foreign country as a civilian?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Feb 19, 2017.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Arrested by the RUC in Belfast (1987) for taking photos of an SAS checkpoint during a pilgrimage to the H&W docks to see where the "Titanic" was built. Rental car torn apart, twelve hours in detention and RORed when they realized I was just a stupid American and it cost me every roll of Ektachrome I had of the entire trip. I have others, so let's start this. HH

2. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

Stopped by the police in a subway station in Kiev, Ukraine for taking pictures of a mural. Got lectured and threatened with arrest for about 20 minutes.

3. PSC617

PSC617

Iraq circa 2004

4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Couldn't order a beer in Rotterdam;

until I realized they spoke American too.

wp

Irish26, bmrtoyo and Bruce M like this.
  5. 2bgop

2bgop

Mexico City, teenage kid hopped up on glue tried to mug me with steak knife.

6. W??G

W??G

Got separated from my tour group in Morocco and was mobbed by the locals all begging for money:faint:

7. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

This is quite mild but in 2015 I had a relative die and I had to go to an obscure part of upstate ny for the funeral. I could have taken a few flights with layovers and gotten to an airport in Syracuse via JFK and done an hour drive for 1500 (and it would have taken 15 hours not including dirve and wait time in 2 airports) or I could fly 3 hours direct into Toronto, do a 3 hour drive and see an upstate ny fall which is the prettiest fall I've ever seen.

I decided to fly into Toronto but due to storms I arrived late and had to spend the night in Toronto. I got my rental car, went to the hotel and left the next day. I drove 3 hours to the us border at niagra and when I arrived the border patrol had quite a hard time believing my story at the checkpoint.

Border patrol: where are you coming from?

Me: Toronto

Bp: you have a US passport.

Me: I'm a us citizen.

Bp: what was your business in Toronto?

Me: just getting to New York.

BP: you had to leave the us to get to ny, and then rented a car to drive back into the us in less than 24 hrs?

Me: yes?

They detained me and tore my rental car apart for a few hours.

I also got guff from the Canadian side on my way back using Canada to get back to America.

8. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Being dragged across a border twice with a ****load of dope as a child, and a ferry trip to boot.

9. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

Drunk off my ass in Denmark at a party with the two girls I was staying with, guess the brute who confronted me didn't think I deserved "them".

Seemed like a big deal at the time ;)

10. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Run in with the Stasi in East Berlin. The wall was coming down. I was there as a photo journalist. No one knew what the new rules were but the Stasi were trying to hold fast to the old ways. They were not happy about an American with tons of camera gear.

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

You should have demanded to be interrogated by Katarina Witt. She was one of their operatives and my god, what legs! HH

12. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

The guys who questioned and then followed us looked like they were straight from central casting. I mean they were the absolute stereotype you see in bad spy movies. A girl in the hotel said as soon as the wall started coming down they were trying to be more visible and intimidating. That's why they were playing the old roll.

In the other side of the coin, the East German Border Guards were the nicest guys you could imagine. They were so relieved to have the wall coming down.

13. tjpet

tjpet

Crossing back into the US after a Canadian fishing trip. Border guard notices my ccl while I'm fishing out my dl. Asks where my pistol is. I say I don't have one with being that it's against Canadian law. He says it's a well known fact that most Americans carry a firearm of some sort on their person. I could have just let it go but couldn't resist - I retort that in the US we go armed because we don't live in a p***y country like Canada and are free men not serfs kissing the queen of England's ass.
    Next thing I've got three other guards around my truck and am ordered out with my hands up. I don't know what the guy I lipped off to had told his superior but when he questioned me he laughed his ass off, told me to get back across the border and if I came back to mind my manners.

rick458, bmrtoyo, cougar_ml and 8 others like this.
  14. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

One time at band camp in Albania,,,,,,,,,

Jump, MAG40 Student, Bruce M and 4 others like this.
  15. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

I had a hard time understanding my limo driver from CUN to my resort in Puerto Morelos.

Having a Mexican cop follow my car halfway across the Sonoran Desert after a couple days partying in Rocky Point.

That's all I got.

16. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I get that way with French Canadians. I know better but I can't resist.

bmrtoyo likes this.
  17. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

In 1995, woken up and thrown out of bed at 5:15 in the morning in our high-rise apartment building by Japan's Kobe earthquake that killed 5000 people. Epicenter was only 10 miles away and it devastated large parts of Kobe. In the middle of it, we just knew we were going to die ... just not sure if the top half of the building was going to break off or if the whole building would crumble like you see in building demolition videos. Slept on a floor at a nearby school for 3 days with 800 after shocks going on until we were evacuated.

18. Random

Random Banned

Dropped off at a hospital in Kurdistan with a 17mm kidney stone kicking my ass. Just...dropped off. And I don't speak kurdish or arabic. Surreal.

19. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

My FA and I tried to enter China from Macau on our Crew Visa's. It didn't go well.

CBP: You must have airplane to use crew visa.
    Me: I left it at the airport.
    CBP: You go now.

We wandered around looking for a way out. A Chinese customs officer came up to us and in perfect English said,"Are you looking for the exit?" He showed us the way back to Macau.

light-switch and MO Fugga like this.
  20. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Congrats on your first kill.

Jamie Haley likes this.