What's the Worst Job You've Ever Had?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NorthCarolinaLiberty, Jan 25, 2010.

1. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I once worked for a taxi company years ago. You were called an “ independent contractor.” I learned later that this was code for hung out to dry flunky. You could work whenever you wanted, so I went out seven times in six months. I did not have a phone at the time, and they were always calling my mother’s house for me to come in to work.

The guy who interviewed me said that I should make enough to pay my rent and bills. He told me that you should have enough left over at the end of the day “to buy a sandwich.”

You were lucky if your take could buy you a stick of gum. You had to pay your taxi rental, mileage, and gas. A couple of times I broke even. One “customer” said he could not pay when he was dropped off. He said I should come back at 11pm and he’d settle up. There was no concealed carry back then either.

You usually had to pick up people on the tough side of town because people in middle-class neighborhoods already owned cars and didn’t need taxis.

I was so ticked one night because I had not made any money. I was in a hurry to take the cab back to the office, so I floored the accelerator on the highway. I had to put the gas to the floor merging with ramp traffic, and even then the car only topped out at 45mph. It was a Ford Fairmont, or Dodge K car, or some other such piece of crap.

I got back to the office and there was a dispute about the earnings. The dispatcher got a little annoyed, so he threatened to call the police on me for theft. I don’t think I went back after that incident.

2. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Framing houses for this little short Canuk, that man would scream all day long. I see him fire a guy for dragging his feet as he walked. We worked with two extension ladders, and one 6' step, real hammers, no wall jacks, no air nailers. He would have the roofing material dropped on site and we had to lug bundles up, no boom or electric ladders here. The houses were around 4-5 thousand square feet. I dislike that man to this day.

3. Paul_J

Paul_J

I was the teardown guy at an automotive machine shop. I ran the caustic soda washer, shot blast machine, bead blaster and every dirty filthy piece of equipment you can think of. I got promoted when I kept having to go set up the surface grinder because the guy doing it couldn't figure it out. From that point on I only got half as dirty as before!

That was the dirtiest but the worst was working at a fiberglass casting facility. I'd go home with the worst headache every day.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

Hello,

As a kid, I wanted out of the fast food industry, so a buddy helped me get a job at a truck stop as a general helper (I forget the actual title). On my first day - I had been in the building about 30 minutes - I was told to go clean the showers. So, I grabbed the right gear and headed in. No one was in the showers. I opened door #1 and found a HUGE TURD on the floor. I closed the door, put all the cleaning supplies up, and left. I never went back in that place again, and to this day truck stops gross me out!

Jim

5. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Sandblasting. That is all.

6. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Bagel Maker, Shift was 0200 to 1000 every weekday, kitchen was 130 degrees and 100 percent humidy. Constantly standing over boiling water or in front of a 700 degree oven. Lugging, mixing, dressing, boiling, baking for 8 hours a day, minimum wage.

The guy running the place was a real sweetheart too. He allowed us one bagel for lunch, for free, toppings were 10 percent off.

We worked in light shorts, wife-beater undershirts and flip-flops, I probably drank a couple of gallons of water a day doing that job.

His daughter was hotter than a two dollar pistol though. She'd show up a couple of times a week asking for shopping money, in her Jag.

7. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

I did a stint as an inbound telesales rep for all the junk/info you order on tv. It was interesting at times, but the pay and management and rules were complete crap. I found something better and moved on.

8. HighwayStarPP

HighwayStarPP bang bang bang

9. area727

area727 G23

While it may not be the worst to some of you, my worst was the dish pit in a resturante. Luckly it wasnt all the time, but when I had to do it, it sucked.

10. hpracing007

hpracing007

loan officer with one of those fly by night firms, zero base salary, wholesale lines were always full so you couldnt get a loan through (well the management probably did after you left) 8-10 hrs a day of outbound cold calls. I left after 5 weeks making $0. I even got popped for a speeding ticket coming home late one night because I didnt know the area well

11. robertoh

robertoh

Grease pit in the Army!

12. HarlDane

HarlDane

I spent about 6 months doing quality control on the kill floor of a fairly large beef slaughter house. I could handle the blood and guts, but management was horrible and I quickly found out that "QC Inspector" really meant "fall guy for anything that goes wrong". The union guys hated me because I had to ride their butts about doing the job right, production management had a fit if I slowed down the line or sent back product, the suits in the office would get on your back because they promised customers things they knew we couldn't deliver. I went back to working in produce ASAP.

13. boats1

boats1

Second man on a concrete hose.

14. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Liquor store clerk in the poor side of town. Theft, robbery, threats, and all that in the first hour we were opened.

15. farley45

farley45

Burger King.

I worked there while in highschool. It actually wasn't too bad until management changed and then it really sucked. It is hard to take crap from idiot people for only $5.00/hr.

16. hhb

hhb

The worst job I ever had was working in the family meat packing plant after I got out of the Navy, and on tuesdays and thursdays, I had to stir dead pigs, well, some times a live one would slip through. I stood on a platform with a large steel poker, and a door would open to my right, and dead pigs with their throats slit, would slide down a ramp into a tank of steaming hot water, and I would dunk them up and down, and load them into a dehairing machine that would slap them with rubber paddles until all the hair was gone. The guy upstairs sticking the pigs drank, and nobody would go up to see where he hid the bottle, and on occassion, a pig he missed would come down the ramp. You talk about something mad. We kept a rifle on the killing floor to shoot the ones he missed. They would escape from the tank, and try to attack anyone they could find. It was a blessing when the company business closed, and I went to college on the G.I. Bill, and into law enforcement for a career.

17. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

I know what you mean, I've been in QC for almost 20 yrs. The only differance was no union. They always say "it's not productions fault, QC should have caught that".

18. TwinFourFives

TwinFourFives

I always thought being a taxi could be fun. A few weeks ago we took a taxi to the next city over and went bar hopping, he got to go to all the bars with us. Didn't drink though, and he made a really nice chunk of change. Its a 45 minute drive just to get out there.

19. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

Hertz Equipment Rental. Micromanaged to the subatomic level. We had call logs, franklin planners, job planner, cold call books, follow up sheets, task minders. Once a week or more you took your crap into the Mgr and got grilled to the Nth degree on every task you completed. MMQB.
    Policy for CW was Zero tolerance. Fired on the spot for a mere pocket knife.

I would set on the side of my bed with my head in my hands staring at the clock until it ticked to the last minute I had to get there in time to punch the clock working up the courage to swallow another day.

6 months and I threw in the towel to Neff Rental a Miami family owned outfit. Gun friendly and we had strippers at customer appreciation parties.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  20. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

Box factory. But that was mainly due to the people who worked there.