What's the story on GSSF?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by LSP972, Sep 18, 2005.

1. LSP972

LSP972

Perusing through the many threads here gives me a distinct impression that the fabled GSSF matches have lost some of their glamour; as in sudden cancellations and a general air of uncertainty.

A long-time pal from my other hobby recently became interested in shooting. We got him a G17 and he's coming along very well with his training. I was thinking that a GSSF match would be just the thing for him. Now, I wonder.

I am NOT being critical here; I am asking questions. We live just north of Baton Rouge, and know about the GSSF match in Shreveport, LA. Are there any others in this region?

And, most importantly, I'm wondering if we should skip GSSF and get him into the local USPSA match. The last thing I want to do is drive a couple of hundred miles for a bad experience. Even though he has no interest in competing for competition's sake, he is excited at the prospect of attending a match.

So, what's the skinny? I've read the company line; I want to hear what you guys think.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

The match in Shreveport has been cancelled. USPSA might be a good choice, the closest match to you now is San Antonio in December. At least I think it's the closest! ;f

3. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

LSP972,

GSSF has made some changes to is format this past year. Just like any other organization, it made these changes to try improve its premise but as we all know, changes to any sport or organization temporarily yields negativity. Other shooting organizations like IDPA and IPSC have been effected by their changes the same.

One of the biggest changes that GSSF made this year was the method and value that it paid host ranges for conducting a GSSF match. If you are not aware, GSSF is a sport that Glock totally funds as a promotional event to promote the safe use of their firearms. Much different than USPSA and IDPA, clubs conduct the matches and either don't pay back prizes other than trophies or they solicit the prizes from vendors and other manufactures. Glock provides all of the prizes for each event, provides perts for the RO's and pays the host club for conducting the match. In addition, Glock will give away at every GSSF match a minimum of $4500.00 in Glocks plus additional prizes up to $1500.00.

According to your post, since your pal has not had any prior experience in competition, starting with GSSF would not be a mistake or risk because GSSF awards based upon different levels than IPSC and will allow your pal to feel accomplished PLUS to learn the basics of accuracy and speed versus just speed. You will find that there are many GSSF competitors that will be glad to assist your pal and help him to grow in his shooting.

The few clubs that have chosen to not schedule matches this year chose to do that because they didn't want less money than before but remember, IPSC and other shooting organizations don't pay their clubs to host matches they require the clubs to pay them. Most IPSC clubs have about 40 to 50 members at a match whereas GSSF has over 200 at a match. Once your pal gets accustomed to competition and the elements of winning, etc, adding IPSC to his shooting will allow him to have the best of both worlds. Combining both GSSF and IPSC would be a great formuala for continued successes.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Bobby Carver

4. LSP972

LSP972

Thanks. IOW, GSSF matches are an iffy proposition these days.

Fair enough. I'll take him to a "snap'n'giggle" (IPSC/USPSA) match. They have some good monthly ones around here.

5. ToddCrow

ToddCrow

What's that mean? I've never heard a match described that way.

6. cmzneb

cmzneb

Although I have been critical of GSSF a few times, I can honestly say I have a great time participating. (Unfortunately there just isn't enough matches close enough to here, so I end up settling for some USPSA matches that are held more often in this area).

Can't go wrong with taking a new shooter to a GSSF match.

7. LSP972

LSP972

Todd, "snap'n'giggle" is a term that was used by bullseye and PPC shooters to describe IPSC shooting back in its infant days.

Modifying the 1911 was still a trial and error proposition back then, and there were lots of malfunctions. The story goes that a shooter would attempt to fire, hear a click (snap) instead of a bang, and giggle, saying "Well, THAT one (modification) didn't work."

I believe it was Fred Romero, of LAPD fame, who coined the term. At least, he claims to have coined it. But that was when we were sitting over a bucket of beer at the Four Queens in Vegas; so you never know...;)

8. ToddCrow

ToddCrow

Interesting, thanks for the education.

9. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Understanding travel is no longer cheap, I still think a GSSF match would be a positive influence on your friend.

He's not going to run across some range nazi or have numerous folks jacking him up telling him he can't win with that thing (Glock). All the GSSF matches my wife and I have attended have been friendly and professionally run. Sure there have been some minor gliches but hardly any worth remembering.

I would suggest shooting a couple categories too.

10. ToddCrow

ToddCrow

Go to a USPSA match, most of the clubs in my area have a large percentage of production class shooters which is dominated by the 34 and 35. If somebody tells you or your friend "you can't win with that" tell him he's an idiot and that he couldn't with with any gun aginst David Segivney (sp?) and then go talk with someone else. Every sport has its fare share of jerks but the overwhelming majority of USPSA shooters are very helpfull to new shooters and they are always welcome.

Todays production shooter is tomorrows limited, open, 3-gun, revolver or whatever shooter. Just get out and shoot!

11. ArmoredGlock

ArmoredGlock

why should i renew my membership if they cancel the matches in my area?

12. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

That is certainly your choice to make my friend.