What's the real deal on Kahr PM9's.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by hardeyes, Mar 8, 2010.

1. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

First let me say that I like the idea of a small compact lightweight 9mm.

I even use to own one, but sold it because after about 5-600 rounds the polymer frame would 'flake' when I worked the slide, or examined the pistol. So I sold mine.

Now, I'm missing that easy carry pistol, and thought about picking up another one, but I'm on the fence because of what I've seen, and what I've read.

Should I take the chance and buy another one? It's about $700 for another one. I have a G26, which has proven excellent, but would like something lighter.

Advise;

hardeyes

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I did not really like the PM9 when I fired it (And there were so many complaints about it four years ago, I was reluctant to buy one) but I loved the MK9 and bought one.

Later I also bought a G26. It is so comfortable that in the right holster (CrossBreed SuperTuck) I can forget I have the G26 on.

I carry the MK9 mostly while wearing shorts/t-shirt now, usually pocket carry it in an AHolster (Or smartcarry). I have a Crossbreed Quick Clip for it also, but I'm not sure I love it yet. The SuperTuck/G26 is more comfortable. I'll make a point of using the QuickClip more this summer to see how it goes.

3. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

I owned a PM9 before moving up to the PM40 and I loved it. Very reliable, well made, and super concealable. It was also very easy to shoot for a small gun.

4. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

I also like the design, trigger pull was very smooth DA, and I could hit with the sights.

With the model I had, the trigger did not reset twice (when new), and the polymer frame shed some flakes off the frame.

I was concerned, as I own Glocks & H&K's that never flaked so much of the frame, as the PM9 did.

How are the current PM9's doing in reliability, and have their been any new/existing problems?

I like to know what Kahr GT owners have to say, as I only owned 1 Kahr, and did not have any other experience with them.

Thanks for sharing.

hardeyes

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  5. JBP55

JBP55

I recently purchased a new PM9 and tested it with several hundred rounds of carry and range ammo. and so far all is well. I never had any issues with the two CW9's I purchased in the last two years with any type of ammo. I prefer Glocks but the PM9 is sufficient when you need to carry a very small gun.

6. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I think that they are too small. My PM9 convinced me to carry a larger gun.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  7. blhar15

blhar15

My PM9 has been flawless. I also was concerned about the frame. I would think Kahr could put some reinforcement metal molded in to the frame rails to help with this problem.

8. handyman

handyman

My PM9 has been great no problems at all.

9. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Tagged. Good question I have been thinking about getting one my self. Keep the opinions coming.

10. ronin.45

ronin.45

I've had two and carry one everyday. My dad carries one. My brother carries one. My buddy carries one. All five have been 100% from the box. They are reliable, easy to carry, and surprisingly accurate. I just shot our local IDPA competition with mine this last saturday. It never stuttered.

11. Fanner50

Fanner50 NRA Endowment

Same here. My PM9 was purchased new in November 2009 and has over 500 rounds through it without any malfunctions at all. None. I have a G19 and a G26 and the PM9 is much easier to carry concealed. I would never get rid of my Glocks, but I am enjoying carrying the little PM9. Glock should make one just like it. I highly recommend the PM9. Just don't sell your Glocks. If I had to rely on one pistol for everything it would be my G19 or G26, but that PM9 is just so easy to carry.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  12. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

Sounds like a good idea, at least it would have taken my worries away.

hardeyes

13. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

It's very easy to carry, and it was easy to shoot (considering it's size). I also still have my Glocks.

Thanks for the info.

hardeyes

14. Kahr Fan

Kahr Fan

I have had my Kahr PM9 for over 3 years now and when I carry a gun 90% of the time it’s the Kahr. The Kahr is the first handgun I purchased and I have not been disappointed yet. All in all I have about 1,300-1,500 rounds of various ammo through it without a single malfunction. I find it super is easy to carry IWB, pocket holster, Thunder ware holster, and ankle holster. The gun is simply in a league of its own when it comes to power to size ratio. While I have two Sig’s and love shooting them the Kahr is the gun I have the majority of them time.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

15. scprotector1

scprotector1 LoneStarGlocker

Been thinking of getting one for the girlfriend for our engagement, yes shes that type of woman...im a lucky man. Thanks for the reviews now i didnt have to make my own topic about this

16. cessnastud

cessnastud Rawr!!!

I got rid of my PM9 when I wanted to upgrade caliber. If I were to to get another Kahr, I would take a serious look at the K9, or the MK9 for pocket carry. I wasn't a big fan of the polymer Kahrs after that experience. The steel framed Kahr pistols that I've shot since have been reliable and MUCH more shooter friendly.

17. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

Just a little something to check, make sure you'r girlfriend can rack the slide back. My GF had trouble racking the slide back on the PM9, and releasing the slide lock lever.

Maybe it was her, but it's just something to check out.

hardeyes

18. ronin.45

ronin.45

Good point. Many of the small autos are difficult for ladies to manipulate. They have such light slides that they require extra heavy springs and can be hard to pull back.
    It is a good idea to let her handle one before you get her anything.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  19. Jdog

Jdog

Do not rack the slide on the PM9. It's not a glock. They're not really made to do this. They're made to chamber carry. To load it you take out the mag, lock the slide back w/the slide lock, insert full mag, when you release the slide lock it springs a round in the chamber... then you can take out the mag and load a +1 round if you want.
    Very comfy to carry in a good IWB tuckable holster. All day comfort and ready to unleash seven 127gr gold dots at a moments notice. Pretty accurate also.

20. ATXG35

ATXG35

Mine runs like a champ and is acary accuarate for such a small gun. Definetly the best size/firepower ratio gun I have.