What's the problem with S&W locks?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by B_RAD, Mar 6, 2010.

1. B_RAD

B_RAD

It seems that everyone hates the lock on the S&W revolvers. Why is that? I'm looking at a 642 but all I can find is ones with locks.

2. FobulousGlock

FobulousGlock

I would like to know this as well. do locks affect the performance at all? or is it just a safety thing?

3. JJ.45

JJ.45

Hmm....good question. Just off the top of my head and not bothering to google or anything, I would say that......

Highly controversial to this day is the integral lock which has been included on S&W revolvers since Saf-T-Hammer bought S&W. The lock is activated with a key through a socket just above the cylinder latch. The locks have been criticized for a variety of reasons including the addition of needless complexity, caving into the demands of some states for locks on guns, and the possibility of unintentional engagement of the lock during firing. This last concern has been documented in a few of the early scandium/titanium models, but to the best of my knowledge it has not been documented on the Airweights. It has been reported to me that the problem has been resolved on the scandium/titanium guns, and we are not hearing new reports of unintentional engagement of the locks. I have tested three revolvers with the lock and it has never malfunctioned in my testing.

4. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

any mechanical device can and will fail,

on a self defense firearm i do not want something like this on there ..

5. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

There have been more-than-rare instances of them coming lose and engaging during firing, not a good thing if you're using the gun to defend your life.

They were also a hallmark component of a Klinton-era deal-with-the-devil, in which the then owners of SW copped out and cooperated with the Clinton Justice Dept rather than doing the right thing and telling them to stuff it. Everyone else that did came out fine.

Its also one more thing to slow you down if you need it in a self-defense situation. A gun for that purpose must always be ready to go.

It also added cost to the weapon.

Pre-lock models are always more valuable and desired.

6. Ruggles

Ruggles

Right up there with MIM in my view, over blown internet hype. I could care less if a S&W had a lock or not. :)

7. quicksand

quicksand

Ugly, like bras on cars.

8. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

It's a way to temporarily kiss the Anti-Gunners ***. I'd play hell before I bought ANY gun with a lock.........

9. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

THIS^^^

If I dont want my gun to shoot, I wont pull the trigger. If I dont want anyone else to shoot my gun, I'll put it in my safe. I will only buy pre-lock smiths, I also had to change the MSH on my SA 1911 because it had a lib-lock on it.

BTW it is easy to remove the internals of the lock but you still have that eye-sore key hole in the side of an otherwise beautiful gun.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  10. rfd339

rfd339

Keep a check here , they have them. I have a 642 w/lock and have no problem with it. I have been shooting non and +p ammo with no issues to date. great pocket carry to add.

[​IMG]

11. TriggerHappy007

TriggerHappy007

I removed mine from the gun. Easy and only took about 5 minutes total.

12. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

It's like someone took a very fine looking rose, and dropped a turd right on it.
    I don't like the idea of locks on guns, and I sure the hell don't like they way they look on a S&W.

That's the main reason all my guns are pre-lock guns.

13. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

They can lock up the gun without you doing anything. Not what you want to happen during a critical incident! I removed mine from 3 revolvers for peace of mind.

14. bac1023

bac1023

I personally don't like the way it looks.

It takes away from the beauty of the gun in a big way, in my book.

15. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

I have witnessed Safe-T-Hammer revolvers (aka S&W) have the internal lock self-actuate during a string on multiple occasions on the firing line at the range, including a couple of times during our IDPA matches.

In most of these cases, the key could not be used to unlock the guns, and the armorer had to be called in to restore function.

I admit it is rare, but it really does happen. The internal lock is NOT something that you want on a CCW, home defense, or military/police duty gun.

Even so, my chief objection to the lock is still political -- it is the brand of the Hard-Left Nanny State on what should be an emblem of freedom.

It is as if the law required a set of big pink-and-white spiral candy-striped training wheels be permanently attached to each Harley Hog made. It is a humiliation of the spirit of the thing.

(BY the way, MIM parts really are often bad in guns. MIM (Metal Injection Molding) can make excellent, high-strength parts, and we use it in aerospace to make complex or otherwise exotic parts that can't readily be made any other way. But the reason MIM is used in guns is too often to save money, by using a cheap MIM part, and cheap MIM is what causes the objection to using MIM in guns. Not MIM itself per se.)

-ET

16. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Right up there with "Read owner's manual before operation." engraved on the frame. Senseless, stupid, unnecessary, crap.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Well,.....just to be on the safe side, I ordered a spare lock bellcrank.
    I then ground off the two nubs on the bellcrank, effectively removing the
    function of the lock.

[​IMG]

18. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

They are available without the lock also. www.expresspolicesupply.com has some on backorder.

19. ronin.45

ronin.45

Of my seven S&W revolvers two have the lock. I don't care for it but so many models were never made pre-lock that I won't let it stop me from buying a gun I like.

20. bac1023

bac1023

I also have two Smiths with the lock.