Glock Talk banner

What's the F'ing point of the C.A.B.?

18215 Views 88 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  Bren
I get back from my COP/FOB hopping back to my "base" FOB where I stage from and see our news letter. The whole S2/BISE shop are getting awarded CABs because a rocket landed "close" to their building, and there was supposedly a few shrapnel pockmarks in the adobe.

WTF? When did we adopt a definition of "combat" that lets the 9-5 dayhos who never even see OVER the wire get awards for being "in combat"? I head in there for an INTELSUM briefing and they're all chattering away about the 70mm that hit a football field away like they weathered an artillery barrage in a hasty position! I realize that the FOBBITs that get killed by mortars are just as dead as the SF and SEAL dudes that jump on a grenade to save their buddies, but seriously. I thought the CAB was to distinguish non 11/18s that have been IN COMBAT, not just to be another version of the deployment patch.
Reactions: Toby196
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
God, that brings back flashbacks to being of BAF seeing people walking around with DQ cups and BurgerKing bags. That, and getting our target briefing in the BISE before air assaulting onto an objective, and one of the TOC monkeys sticks their head in with a: "Hey guys, we're making a Green Beans run, you want anything?"

:rofl:
It still hasn't changed as of today ,14 August 2020. Between the RSF building to the DFAC across the street has No hat no salute signs along the path to both buildings. We, contactors, refer to them as AAFES, Army Air Force Exchange Soldiers. Soldier want to Airmen and th Airmen what to be soldiers.

· Registered
335 Posts
The point was to throw a badge at these whiny, POG turds so that they could say they were " in the sh*t"... Just a "Meeeeee tooooooo" badge.
Well, guess what: you still ain't Infantry. Idiots.

· Low Speed, High Drag (12B)
594 Posts
An infantry soldier calling other soldiers "idiots". Now that some Top-Shelf comedy right there.

Reactions: vafish

· Registered
54 Posts
It's funny no one remembers that the CIB originally had a 180 day requirement, not just one incident. Should we rescind all the awards that do not meet the "real" standard. Awards mean everything and nothing. If Armor and Artillery soldiers are not eligible for a combat "I was there" award, you should not use the support from them.

As to support troops, I don't know anyone that thinks that being an 88M driving a fuel or ammo truck in the land of IED's is a pouge or a REMF.

If you are so insecure about your service that you have to denigrate someone else about their service, you need to re-evaluate. Go read "Turnabout" by William Faulkner.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
The CAB fiasco all started back at the beginning of the Iraq war. I remember hearing all the time of people *****ing that the Infantry had a special badge and they didn't. Being in combat is not all about badges, and if they wanted a CIB or CMB, they should have done their research before they joined and became an Infantryman or Medic. The CAB is a product of whining, and that is why I do not like it.
LOL, the CIB was the result of whining for recognition, and the absence of equal recognition in other branches was the result of Infantry sniveling about losing the “prestige” of their badge.

I don’t care for the one-size-fits-all CAB, I think each branch, at least every combat arms branch, should have a badge and strict criteria, but to assert that only the Infantry and Combat Medics deserve recognition for engaging the enemy in combat is stupid.

· Registered
49 Posts
I know plenty of Scouts who’s have earned their CABs 10x over. Whether when I was a battalion Scout in an Infantry bat or in a Squadron. We got in dozens of fire fights, ambushes, mortared and hit IEDs. Everywhere from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. It’s the award we’re allowed to be given.

Is it unfortunate that some people get it for being in an area where mortars landed and others earn it through combat. I don’t think so because it’s just a participation award just like the CIB. It means nothing especially when they’re worn by incompetent Soldiers. (No matter the MOS).

CIB or CAB isn’t an award of competence for what you did in combat. Just because you did your job whether you’re a 19D/11B or whatever MOS you’re doesn’t make you special. You’re just another Soldier who’s been to Combat like millions before you.

I’ll get off my soap box now. Just get annoyed with people crying over awards when we all know alot of them are a joke.

· NRA Life Member
75,664 Posts
LOL, the CIB was the result of whining for recognition, and the absence of equal recognition in other branches was the result of Infantry sniveling about losing the “prestige” of their badge.

I don’t care for the one-size-fits-all CAB, I think each branch, at least every combat arms branch, should have a badge and strict criteria, but to assert that only the Infantry and Combat Medics deserve recognition for engaging the enemy in combat is stupid.
A rare occasion when I agree with you.

Reactions: Toby196
81 - 89 of 89 Posts