Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference in the G26 Gen 3 vs the Gen 4 ? I know the grip texture is different but what else is different ? Did Glock change the grip or frame dimensions ? Did they change the recoil spring assembly ? And are the Gen 3 and 4 parts interchangeable ? Anything information is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Grip texture, trigger reach on Gen 4 is 2mm shorter, different trigger bar are the main differences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grip texture, trigger reach on Gen 4 is 2mm shorter, different trigger bar are the main differences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So since the trigger bar is different you need to use Gen 4 parts for the frame pretty much . What about the slide ?

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
Gen 4 also has backstraps which surprisingly make a big difference. For that reason, along with the grip texture, I'd go with it over the G3 all day.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
The Gen3 and Gen4 G26 pistols are almost identical and use the exact same parts except for six:

1. Frame - Gen4 frame has three differences.
(a) Three different pull lengths are possible with the Modular Backstrap System. Gen3 allows only one pull length equivalent to Gen4 with M backstrap. M and L backstraps with beavertail option have been provided since 2012.
(b) It accommodates new magazine catch (item 2).
(c) Grip surface texturing is improved.

2. Magazine catch - Gen4 catch has two differences.
(a) The push-button surface is larger.
(b) It may be placed on left (normal) or right side of grip.

3. Trigger with trigger bar - Gen4 trigger bar has two differences.
(a) There is an alignment bump on right side of the trigger bar firing pin safety actuating arm that ensures it aligns properly when the magazine catch has been placed on the right side (item 2).
(b) The trigger bar attachment point for the coil trigger spring hook is redesigned to cause less stress to the hook, and so reduce failure of the trigger spring.

4. Trigger mechanism housing and ejector - Gen4 TMH has three differences.
(a) It is shortened front to back to allow installation in a frame with the grip MBS (item 1(a)).
(b) The TMH attachment point for the coil trigger spring hook is redesigned to cause less stress to the hook, and so reduce failure of the trigger spring.
(c) Ejector 30274 replaces ejector 336.

5. The Gen4 standard DOT connector replaces the pre-Gen4 standard UNMARKED connector. Because of a slight difference in connector mounting angle in the Gen4 TMH and frame (item 1(a) and 4(a)), the UNMARKED connector causes a 6.0-lbf pull in an OEM Gen4 pistol instead of 5.5-lbf that it causes in an OEM pre-Gen4 pistol. The Gen4 DOT connector restores the standard 5.5-lbf pull in a OEM Gen4 pistol. (Early pre-2011 Gen4 pistols may still have the UNMARKED connector and higher pull.)

6. Magazine Tube - Gen4 is slotted on the left side to engage the magazine catch (item 2) when it is placed on right side.

NOTES;

- All pre-Gen4 magazines work in a Gen4 pistol if the magazine catch is on the left side. Gen4 magazines work in pistols of all generations.

- G26 slides, barrels, and RSAs are interchangeable between all generations, on the frame of any generation.

- A "bumpless" Gen3 trigger bar works perfectly in a Gen4 pistol if the magazine catch is on the left side, but it should not be used with a Gen4 pistol with magazine catch on right side.

- The MINUS (4.5-lbf in pre-Gen4) connector produces a 5.0-lbf pull in an OEM Gen4 pistol. The DOT (5.5-lbf in Gen4) connector produces a 5.0-lbf pull in an OEM pre-Gen4 pistol.

- Since about 2011, Gen3 pistols and new TWTB and TMH parts are made with improvements 3(b) and 4(b) above.

So, there are only six of the 34 official parts in a Glock pistol and magazine that differ between a Gen3 G26 and a Gen4 G26. Three of those parts (items 3, 5, and 6) can function in both Gen3 and Gen4 pistols under appropriate circumstances, leaving only three parts (items 1, 2, and 4) that are absolutely generation specific.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Gen3 and Gen4 G26 pistols are almost identical and use the exact same parts except for six:

(a) Three different pull lengths are possible with the Modular Backstrap System. Gen3 allows only one pull length equivalent to Gen4 with M backstrap. M and L backstraps with beavertail option have been provided since 2012.

(a) There is an alignment bump on right side of the trigger bar firing pin safety actuating arm that ensures it aligns properly when the magazine catch has been placed on the right side (item 2).
(b) The trigger bar attachment point for the coil trigger spring hook is redesigned to cause less stress to the hook, and so reduce failure of the trigger spring.

(a) It is shortened front to back to allow installation in a frame with the grip MBS (item 1(a)).
(b) The TMH attachment point for the coil trigger spring hook is redesigned to cause less stress to the hook, and so reduce failure of the trigger spring.

5. The Gen4 standard DOT connector replaces the pre-Gen4 standard UNMARKED connector. Because of a slight difference in connector mounting angle in the Gen4 TMH and frame (item 1(a) and 4(a)), the UNMARKED connector causes a 6.0-lbf pull in an OEM Gen4 pistol instead of 5.5-lbf that it causes in an OEM pre-Gen4 pistol. The Gen4 DOT connector restores the standard 5.5-lbf pull in a OEM Gen4 pistol. (Early pre-2011 Gen4 pistols may still have the UNMARKED connector and higher pull.)

6. Magazine Tube - Gen4 is slotted on the left side to engage the magazine catch (item 2) when it is placed on right side.

NOTES;

- All pre-Gen4 magazines work in a Gen4 pistol if the magazine catch is on the left side. Gen4 magazines work in pistols of all generations.

- G26 slides, barrels, and RSAs are interchangeable between all generations, on the frame of any generation.

- A "bumpless" Gen3 trigger bar works perfectly in a Gen4 pistol if the magazine catch is on the left side, but it should not be used with a Gen4 pistol with magazine catch on right side.

- The MINUS (4.5-lbf in pre-Gen4) connector produces a 5.0-lbf pull in an OEM Gen4 pistol. The DOT (5.5-lbf in Gen4) connector produces a 5.0-lbf pull in an OEM pre-Gen4 pistol.

- Since about 2011, Gen3 pistols and new TWTB and TMH parts are made with improvements 3(b) and 4(b) above.

So, there are only six of the 34 official parts in a Glock pistol and magazine that differ between a Gen3 G26 and a Gen4 G26. Three of those parts (items 3, 5, and 6) can function in both Gen3 and Gen4 pistols under appropriate circumstances, leaving only three parts (items 1, 2, and 4) that are absolutely generation specific.
Mike-M I am truly amazed!!! How do you know all this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up.
I think I'm going to get the 26 in Gen3 over a Gen4. As much as I would like to try the improved grip of the G4 I prefer the DOT connector in all of my Gen3's and gaining a pound on pull is not something I want.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I think I'm going to get the 26 in Gen3 over a Gen4. As much as I would like to try the improved grip of the G4 I prefer the DOT connector in all of my Gen3's and gaining a pound on pull is not something I want.
You are mis-calculating the pull somewhere.

Any specific connector in an OEM Gen4 pistol causes a pull that is 0.5-lbf higher than the same connector causes in an OEM Gen3 pistol. This is due to a slight difference in the connector mounting angle in the trigger mechanism housing and frame. It has NOTHING to do with the alignment bump on the Gen4 trigger bar, all internet and gun store BS to the contrary.

In an OEM Gen3 pistol, the MINUS connector causes a 4.5-lbf pull, the DOT connector a 5.0-lbf pull, and an UNMARKED connector a 5.5-lbf pull. For these connectors in an OEM Gen4 pistol, add 0.5-lbf.

An OEM Gen3 G26 comes with the UNMARKED connector. Its nominal pull is 5.5-lbf.

An OEM Gen4 G26 comes with the DOT connector. Its nominal pull is 5.5-lbf.

An OEM Gen3 G26 with DOT connector will have a nominal 5.0-lbf pull.

An OEM Gen4 G26 with MINUS connector will have a nominal 5.0-lbf pull.

So...the SAME 5.0-lbf pull you get with the DOT connector in an OEM Gen3 pistol you can get with the MINUS connector in an OEM Gen4 pistol.

Reactions: Cali.Glock

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got it now. So a half pound lighter with the Gen3. I actually have the MINUS connector in all of Glocks. I did that after getting a 34 with the MINUS connector already installed from the factory. I know I don't care for the UNMARKED 5.5 lb pull. I have not tried a DOT connector for 5 lb pull in a Gen3. I'm still leaning towards the Gen3 for the half pound lighter pull.

Do you know if the same applies to the larger frame Gen4 as well? Like the G41.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I have not tried a DOT connector for 5 lb pull in a Gen3.
I use the DOT connector in pre-Gen4 pistols and the MINUS connector in Gen4 pistols to give everything a 5.0-lbf pull. Pulls less than 5.0-lbf are in range-toy-only land, IMHO.
Do you know if the same applies to the larger frame Gen4 as well? Like the G41.
Yes, it does.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the DOT connector in pre-Gen4 pistols and the MINUS connector in Gen4 pistols to give everything a 5.0-lbf pull. Pulls less than 5.0-lbf are in range-toy-only land, IMHO.

Yes, it does.
Thanks Mike. So, I'm guessing if you were choosing between the G26 Gen3 and Gen4 you would prefer the Gen4?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I stopped using Gen 3s several years ago. The grip texture and mag release on the Gen 4 is better to me. I have two Gen 4 17s and Gen 4 26.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I'm guessing if you were choosing between the G26 Gen3 and Gen4 you would prefer the Gen4?
I have pre-Gen4 and Gen4 Glocks, and I like them all. But I like the Gen4 models best. The Gen4 design is really the first substantive improvement in Glock pistol mechanical design since the 1982 original G17...Gen1 vs. Gen2 vs. Gen3 differ only in simple cosmetic changes to the polymer frame's grip and rail surfaces. Plus...you get three magazines instead of two in North America. In California, even though plain folk and plebeians are normally forbidden the purchase of a Gen4 Glock, all of the state and local government agencies buy nothing but Gen4. :)

BTW, I'd choose the .357SIG Gen4 G33 instead of a G26.

Reactions: Cali.Glock

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Thanks Mike for the information. I own all gen3 glocks ecept my gen4 g21 which I would take over gen3 21 due to grip and trigger reach. Gen3 26.

·
Registered
542 Posts

NOTES;

You are mis-calculating the pull somewhere.

Any specific connector in an OEM Gen4 pistol causes a pull that is 0.5-lbf higher than the same connector causes in an OEM Gen3 pistol. This is due to a slight difference in the connector mounting angle in the trigger mechanism housing and frame. It has NOTHING to do with the alignment bump on the Gen4 trigger bar, all internet and gun store BS to the contrary.

In an OEM Gen3 pistol, the MINUS connector causes a 4.5-lbf pull, the DOT connector a 5.0-lbf pull, and an UNMARKED connector a 5.5-lbf pull. For these connectors in an OEM Gen4 pistol, add 0.5-lbf.

An OEM Gen3 G26 comes with the UNMARKED connector. Its nominal pull is 5.5-lbf.

An OEM Gen4 G26 comes with the DOT connector. Its nominal pull is 5.5-lbf.

An OEM Gen3 G26 with DOT connector will have a nominal 5.0-lbf pull.

An OEM Gen4 G26 with MINUS connector will have a nominal 5.0-lbf pull.

So...the SAME 5.0-lbf pull you get with the DOT connector in an OEM Gen3 pistol you can get with the MINUS connector in an OEM Gen4 pistol.
This is really an excellent assembly of details on this matter, I learned a lot ---- thank you Mike-M for taking the time to put this together.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
OP - Can't go wrong with either choice. A few weeks back I bought a new G26 and both the Gen3 & Gen4 were the same price, I went with the Gen3.
A week later I did buy a Gen4 - but it was the G41. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
OP - Can't go wrong with either choice. A few weeks back I bought a new G26 and both the Gen3 & Gen4 were the same price, I went with the Gen3.
A week later I did buy a Gen4 - but it was the G41. ;)

Those are both on my Glock short list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts