What's the difference between an "OC activist" and a "regular OCer"?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by MaximaDrvr, Feb 25, 2010.

1. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

^What about regular OCers?
    Ocers and OC Activists can be two different things.

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Where is the line drawn between a regular OCer and an OC activist?

3. WCrawford

WCrawford OC Zealot

More and more, I'm thinking that the line is when your rights get violated by police. Those who have had their right violated are activists and those who have not had their rights violated yet are the "regular" OCers.

4. RussP

So the badge of the OC activist is having a negative encounter with law enforcement?

5. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

The line, in my mind, is crossed when you carry for anything OTHER than defense.

Voice recorders and video cameras used to protect yourself, in my mind, is a regular OCer.

Voice recorders and video cameras used to try to show how awful the police/authorities are, in my mind, is an activist.

It doesn't matter whether you are looking for confrontation or confrontation finds you. It's how you handle yourself during and after, again, in my mind, that determines it.

6. Wizz

Wizz

Regular carries for himself/family. Activists make an effort to be noticed and usually make it a point to purposely visit more Liberal populated establishments (i.e. Starbucks)...they are sometimes the people responsible for future stricter OC regulations due to the few OC luncheons that don't go as planned and then the public out-cry is followed by new regulations.

7. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

are you being serious?

8. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

Why does being an activist have to equal confrontations with the police?
    What about those that write letters, plan rallies, get together and have OC luncheons and dinners and such to educate and open minds and change laws? are they not activists because they've never had a negative encounter?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  9. RussP

That's where I was headed.

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I think there are actually 3 categories,

1, regular Oc'ers - they Oc either because they prefer that method or that is the only way they can carry. they do not seek to draw attention to themsleves or "educate" others about OC or carry at all.

2. OC Activists- they openly promote OC and are interested in educating non gun people about gun rights and OC in particular.

3. OC Zealots - They have a definite agenda and practice in your face methods, they also have a bone to pick with LE. Even though they may never had a negative gun carrying encounter with LE they are absolutely convinced that LE is their enemy. Because they read a forum post where someone was whining about their "rights" being violated.

They are absolutely convinced that since OC is legal no LEO EVER has the right to approach them or question them.

They seem to be on the look out for opportunities to be offended or having their "rights" violated.

11. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

This.

12. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

What's the difference between an "OC activist" and a "regular OCer"?

Not much. Both hope to be noticed for carrying. Their specific reasons may differ.

13. kensteele

kensteele

That's the third time I've heard this. Call me crazy but don't we see and hear all kinds of stupid 911 calls on the news and on youtube, whatever. Do the police HAVE to show up for these? Do the police MUST show up for all MWAG calls, really?

If a Chinese man is walking thru a Hispanic neighborhood doing nothing and a Hispanic resident calls 911 and claims there is a Chinese man doing nothing else but walking thru the neighborhood, do you seriously think the police are obligated to make contact with the Chinese man because a 911 call was placed?

I'm trying to find out if the act of placing the 911 call obligates or does the issues/suspicions/facts of the situation make the determination? I've heard some places were telling 911 callers to back off if nothing "wrong" is occurring.

Sorry I'm a little off topic but I keep reading the OCers will always get police contact because someone ignorant will always make a 911 phone call. I'm not seeing this but somebody correct me pls.

*fyi There are times when I dialed 911 and never met up with the police.

14. WCrawford

WCrawford OC Zealot

My sarcasm and intent didn't translate very well. That is what I get for posting while tired.

I should have stated:

If I were to judge just by the internet gun forums, I'd think that the line is when your rights get violated by police. Those who have had their right violated are activists and those who have not had their rights violated yet are the "regular" OCers. Of course, going off the majority of postings on the subject, those that have had their rights violated would have been asking for it, too.

15. WCrawford

WCrawford OC Zealot

Guess that makes me an OC Zealot. Just don't violate my rights you JBT. :)

16. RussP

Sarcasism didn't translate well this time, either... Again,In your mind, the badge of the OC activist is having a negative encounter with law enforcement?

17. RussP

Which one should they not show up for? Which one should the dispatcher decide based on a caller's description of the scene?

18. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

How to respond to MWAG call.

[​IMG]

:rofl::rofl:

19. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

I agree with this. I am an OC activist. I help organize, and participate in, regular OC dinners and events. I OC for comfort and ease, while having no problems with the chance to educate the public. I have had negative encounters with police officers, and still have problems with the contact. My biggest problem with most of the LEO encounters is how they progress, and this can be (is) the fault of both the OCer and the LEO involved.

20. arclight610

arclight610

4. OC Legends - Open carry orange-tipped AK pistols wearing camoflauge apparel in a "guerilla" type fashion and are interested in educating non-gun people about gun rights and carry