close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whats the deal with these pro athletes and carrying guns?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by loki993, Apr 2, 2010.

1. loki993

loki993

Dont know how many have heard but Shawn Rogers was arrested yesterday for bringing a gun on a plane, really stupid, but that's a different story. So you have this guy, Arenas, Burress and probably a few I cant remember. All one thing in common, guns were being carried illegally. Now in most of the places Ive been in its very easy to get a CCW. Take a class, pay for the license and there you go. I know there are places, like NY and probably LA, where its very difficult to get a CCW. Even still though these guys are famous and have money and they should probably still be able to get them in places like that also, I mean if anyone had an excuse right. Even if the place doesn't take the excuse, being rich and famous, whether fair or not, gets you thing regular people cant always get.

So I wonder why don't these guys just get CCWs and carry legally and aviod 90 percent of this hassle? Its not that hard.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Because they have a sense of entitlement that they don't have to follow the same rules as the rest of us?

3. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Massive sense of entitlement derived from an overblown ego?

:dunno:

4. bluenoise

bluenoise

The question has been answered, so I'll add that some may have grown up where following such rules was never even considered.

5. drew4691

drew4691

A lot of the times they are under the influence too.

"Lets get F'd up and drive around with loaded guns, so we can feel cool!"

6. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Just because I'm a hostage to the 'Man doesn't mean I think the crazy unconstitutional laws are OK. I don't suffer the Stockholm syndrome.

The constitution says we have the right to bear arms or arm bears... and thats the way it should be. Neither pro athletes nor average citizens should have to beg the nanny state permission to exercise a "right."

Now the fellow trying to take the gun on the plane in his carry on clearly forgot it was there. Officials at CLE say it happens to tons of normal people all the time. Give him a little fine and let him be on his way. There was no malicious intent as far as we know.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. TexasVine

TexasVine

Entitlement and believing they live by different rules because they're special. The public and media treat these guys like there Gods and they start believing they are. I don't excuse upbringing on this issue. People no certain things are just plain wrong.

8. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

Because they have criminal records that preclude them from gun ownership at all?

9. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I agree with this assessment. I would also like to add that many of these guys come from places where law enforcement officers are viewed as adversaries. Where it is the common consensus that the odds are stacked against them and that the law serves to protect others, but not them. I'm not saying this is the case. Merely the perception.

10. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Athletic talent and zero common sense seem to go hand in hand.

11. loki993

loki993

I'm not trying to insinuate that he had any bad intent and that's fine that he just forgot. The point I was making about him and the rest ere that they carry their guns illegally and should get CCWs.

I thought about that possibility as well

I mean I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and they were talking to Marcellus Wiley yesterday I guess when they heard about it. He had said when he was a rookie he had carried illegally as well. He also said he got smart and stopped. It just seems that a CCW doesn't even cross their minds, even though I have heard of a few pro athletes that do have them.

I guess its probably been summed up though. Probably a combination of entitlement and probably a product of the environments they come from. I dont know maybe there needs to be more education for the rookies or something.

12. community

community Member

+1 :cool:

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

Have you seen the movie 'The Fan'. Heck yes give me a gun. Oh yeh, I'm not a million dollar athlete. Never mind.

14. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Pro athletes are a lot like lottery winners, they get picked up out of one lifestyle and dumped into another one they have no experience with, plus stupid people adulate and flatter them and swell their heads.

15. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Getting a CCW isn't gangsta....

16. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Don't remember who said it, but in another thread about millionaire's screwing up, someone brought up a very good point.

The people smart enough to EARN their millions on their own generally do not screw up; they worked damned hard and know what it takes to keep their nose clean. Then there are other millionaires who just luck into their money. People who win the lottery, pro athletes, rappers, people born into millions without having to learn a thing or who have never worked a day in their life, etc. They would have screwed up regardless of their tax bracket. Since they're big money now they make a big splash with the media when they screw up, while Joe Schmoe screwing up the same way wouldn't make a ripple.

17. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Let's put things back in perspective here. He was arrested for having a
    firearm in his carry-on.

He has a "due dilligence" and responsibility to be aware of where he can
    and can't carry a firearm. It's his, or you and my responsibility, to know
    where we can legally carry a gun.

He really screwed the pooch here with his own ignorance, and he has
    no one to blame but himself!

The stupidity that some people show in these situations is beyond
    belief.

now back to your regular programming.

18. Cody Jarrett

Cody Jarrett

NYC... very hard to get a CCW. Everywhere else in NYS it's pretty EZ. Please don't confuse us.........

19. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

it doesn't take hard work to make it to the pros?

20. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

It takes hard work, but only in a very narrow field. People who get rich in business have to master a number of skills; people skills, dealing with money, complying with laws and regulations and having the self discipline to not fritter away their money and time.